Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi all!

Right, it's arrived, after a few months of trying to get everything sorted out i've finally managed to get my first project home :). Don't have a bottomless wallet, so dont want to have to pay someone else lots of money to do the work, and would be a good learning curve for me as I have started a Motor course at college, so thought i'd come here for some advice from people that have done it before.

A few questions i'd like to ask people:
1) What tools am I likely to need for body prep and welding? What have you used? (power/size/quality)
2) How do I prepare the current metal for welding?
3) What power welder am I likely to need? What have people used and any links.
4) Does anyone know if there is a step by step thread on here of how to prep and weld a panel?

http://s1201.photobu.....ubman 1275GT/

Posted up most of the pictures I have here of the shell. All looks pretty solid, any rust that there is on the shell is replaced by the brand new panels that came in the sale. The only bit I have found that isn't is along the bottom of the rear 1/4 window surround which doesn't look too bad anyway.

Also, would someone be able to let me know how to post a picture into the post itself rather than a link?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Probably won't be many less experienced people out there. :thumbsup:.

Many thanks

Howard

#2 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

to put up photos your best off signing up for photobucket, then one uploaded onto there you just copy the IMG code into a post and the photos come up once youve posted anything

#3 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

to put up photos your best off signing up for photobucket, then one uploaded onto there you just copy the IMG code into a post and the photos come up once youve posted anything

Thanks.

So you have a few photos on the thread then:....

The shell as it stands at the moment
Posted Image
The first job to tackle i think as it doesn't involve alligning it all up :)
Posted Image
The worst of the rust, but replaced by new inner wing :thumbsup:.
Posted Image
All the new heritage panels, only one that isn't is the boot floor.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Goacher65, 14 March 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#4 minisebastian

minisebastian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

looks like a nice shell there matey,should keep you busy through the summer,fair play for having a go yourself,keep the updates coming :)

#5 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

Will be keeping an eye on this... Good luck with it.. Thats some £££ in panels..

:)

#6 MiniJosh92

MiniJosh92

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

You got it in the end then, good luck :)

#7 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

i saw this on ebay not long ago, think the bloke wanted £900 for it, does look like a good buy though, especially with all them panels! good luck with it!

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

Nice purchase those panels are worth a bob or two.

Welder wise 135 Amp welder or bigger will be ideal. Clarke 135TE Turbo etc. Good quality welding mask, The reactive variety. Argoshield gas .6mm welding wire 5kg reel. You can use .8mm as well.
A compressor would be a good buy as well something along the lines of 100 ltr 3hp type. Various brands out there worth having a look around.
4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Get some 1mm thick stainless steel cutting disc of ebay
Various sized C clamps (ebay, Frosts)
5/32 cleco pins and pliers also some 5/32 skin pins (ebay)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Good ear protection and eye protection. Heavy duty gloves and decent overalls.
Large axle stands x 4 or if you can run to it a spit.
Air tools are a bonus, pistol windy and right angle grinder. Grinding burrs.
Spot weld drill bit.
Panel beating kit (Dollies and hammers) Machinemart.

This is just a selection you may need more it just depends. With regards to the boot floor have a good look either side of the wheel arches and also at the bottom of the bulkhead. If there is more rust there then it may pay you to replace the complete floor. With so many decent panels being fitted it would be a shame to have one that looks a bit patchy.

I have replaced every single one of those panels on Project Erm (see the link at the bottom) although he is a roundnose and not a clubbie. We do have a clubbie that will be getting the full treatment at a later date.

Good luck with it, at least most of the panels came with it.

Edited by sonikk4, 16 January 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#9 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

Nice purchase those panels are worth a bob or two.

Welder wise 135 Amp welder or bigger will be ideal. Clarke 135TE Turbo etc. Good quality welding mask, The reactive variety. Argoshield gas .6mm welding wire 5kg reel. You can use .8mm as well.
A compressor would be a good buy as well something along the lines of 100 ltr 3hp type. Various brands out there worth having a look around.
4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Get some 1mm thick stainless steel cutting disc of ebay
Various sized C clamps (ebay, Frosts)
5/32 cleco pins and pliers also some 5/32 skin pins (ebay)
Good ear protection and eye protection. Heavy duty gloves and decent overalls.
Large axle stands x 4 or if you can run to it a spit.
Air tools are a bonus, pistol windy and right angle grinder. Grinding burrs.
Spot weld drill bit.
Panel beating kit (Dollies and hammers) Machinemart.

This is just a selection you may need more it just depends. With regards to the boot floor have a good look either side of the wheel arches and also at the bottom of the bulkhead. If there is more rust there then it may pay you to replace the complete floor. With so many decent panels being fitted it would be a shame to have one that looks a bit patchy.

I have replaced every single one of those panels on Project Erm (see the link at the bottom) although he is a roundnose and not a clubbie. We do have a clubbie that will be getting the full treatment at a later date.

Good luck with it, at least most of the panels came with it.

Thanks, one question, what are the cleco pins and pliers and what is their application?
New to the whole welding scene as well so may have to buy a book on it, any suggestions?
Got most of the other bits, 135te turbo welder is the one i have in my sights just need to go down and buy it. got £400 to start me off for tools etc, got axle stands, angle grinder (dads). Need c clamps and the panel beating stuff i think, even if panels don't need beating?...
Also, what will the spot weld drill bit be used for (not including the "drilling spot welds" answer)

Howard

#10 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

i saw this on ebay not long ago, think the bloke wanted £900 for it, does look like a good buy though, especially with all them panels! good luck with it!

Yeah he was asking 900 with a pair of cooper doors, but i didtched them and got it all for 650 :cry:

#11 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

shell looks pretty good, good luck with the project

and also cleco pins are just a way of holding the panels on while you weld them, there like reusable rivets IIRC

#12 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yay! Another black GT! :cry:

What year?

EDIT: Stoopid girl! Soz.

Edited by Juju, 17 January 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#13 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yay! Another black GT! :cry:

What year?

EDIT: Stoopid girl! Soz.

1978. Not a bad old girl :thumbsup:. Just needs looking after.

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

We use cleco's in the aviation industry to clamp repair sections together when we carry out repairs to the airframe. Being that they are metal they are ideal for clamping sills wings etc especially when you weld next to them as they do not melt unlike skin pins which have a nylon clamping base.

The best size to get is 5/32" and you will need the pliers that go with them as normal pliers will not fit. There are loads on ebay and the pliers as well. They are very easy to use.

The clamping force they apply is not huge but enough of them is sufficent for most of your needs to on the mini.

The spot weld drill is used for drilling out the old spot welds and is a handy bit of kit. When you come to fit the wings, sills etc then you can plug weld to attach them rather than spot welding unless you can afford to buy a spot welder.

#15 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Spot weld drill bit.

Any idea's on size of drill bit guys?

Howard

1 user(s) are reading this topic