Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

Spot weld drill bit.

Any idea's on size of drill bit guys?

Howard

I use an 8MM spot weld bit for removing panels and they've never done me wrong.

Nice project by the way I was very tempted to bid when it was on ebay.

#17 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

Looks a good solid base there mate :D Will be watching this as i have to repalce the inner and outer wings on my estate so want to have a look at as many projects as i can to gain an idea of what i am doing :)

Where did you get them panels from and how much were they if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

Nick

#18 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Where did you get them panels from and how much were they if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

Nick

All the panels came in the sale of the car, so i dont know exactly how much they cost. I can tell you that all apart from the boot floor repair section are heritage panels, so may be worth having a look on one of the spares websites and totting it up.

Howard

#19 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

Right, sorry haven't done much for a while. Few things to add now.

Didn't actually post any of my own photos of the car, so here is a photo of it how it arrived at home....
Posted Image

And here is a photo of it sitting next to my current car. I thought fiestas were small, but apparently not as small as a mini >_<.
Posted Image

Now, went to get the welder on saturday morning >_<. Was going to be a Clarke 151TE turbo, but needed 15amp minimum and as I couldn't be bothered to faff around, went for the 135TE instead. This is how it looks....
Posted Image
Posted Image

And, although I got that on Saturday morning, I didn't like the look of, or fancy welding with the welding mask they supplied with the welder which I had to put together myself....
Posted Image

Also got a few goodies through the post that consisted of some cutting discs, twist knot wire brushes, flappy discs and welding clamps. Got a bent old front wing from some form of Ford and relieved it of its paint, ready for when welding begins!

So I went on good old Fleabay and managed to get myself an auto-tinting one for £35 + postage. And this morning, this is what arrived....
Posted Image

Which made me look like this....
Posted Image

Anyway, enough gumph, finally got round to having a play this evening. First picture is just me seeing what happens when I press the trigger, as this is the first time I have ever welded :). So excuse the mess and holes.
Posted Image

I then thought that having a go at some tacking would be a more useful exercise, and this was the result....
Posted Image
From left to right:
I think the 4th one is the most successful of all. All of them made some form of contact, but the 4th one seems to be fairly tidy and looks as I invisaged all of them looking in my head.

If anyone has any tips that they can recommend me, then they would all be greatfully received.

until next time...

Howard

Edited by Goacher65, 16 March 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#20 Zac

Zac

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

If anyone has any tips that they can recommend me, then they would all be greatfully received.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Visit, watch, practice. Site was very helpful when teaching myself to mig. Chur.

#21 1275GTS

1275GTS

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Nice project you have there. Its nice to see another GT being rescued.
I have the same welder as you and have had no problems with. I've have mine for 8 years and have done a lot of welding with it with absolutely no problems.
Good luck with the rebuild.

#22 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Right, has been a little while. And to be honest I haven't done much. I have though, sucessfully removed the rear subframe without shearing any bolts! Wire brushed it all down and has come up a treat! Need to wait till pay day to get the bottle of kurust and some primer, any ideas people?....

Had a quick look round the back of the car today, and have these pictures....

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'd like peoples opinion on what would be my best bet from here. I have the new half boot floor and subframe mount brackets for the corners, but is it worth me buying the quarter panel, and rear panel repair panels to fill down to the floor panel. Either that or try to fabricate something so I don't have a hole here.

Also, along the bottom of the rear side window housing, I have this hole. What would people recommend for this? Is my best bet to try and somehow get a plate welded on the back and fill it? (any ideas how to weld up in that gap?!?).
Posted Image
Posted Image

thanks

Howard

#23 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Loving the progress.

How are you finding teaching youself to weld? Iv got me a welder now, taking my daily off the road soon to get some work done

#24 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

Loving the progress.

How are you finding teaching youself to weld? Iv got me a welder now, taking my daily off the road soon to get some work done

Yeah its not going too badly. Managed to get a nice tidy penetrating weld doing practice wells this afternoon. Can't seem to get a butt weld to be tidy yet tho. Dont know if im meant to use the same power settings?...... I've cleaned the metal up loads but still no joy.

#25 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Hi,

nice little project like mine was, then I started to find lots more than I expected, lol, however it gives you plenty of time to practice welding. You will come on really quick if you do it regulally. I was a complete novice and am fairly confident now at it, but takes a while to get your preferred settings.

Good luck,

Graham

#26 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

this is a mini i was looking at as well on ebay but decided it was too much for me to go over to england to get it but it looks good :thumbsup: welding isnt too hard once you get your settings right, and its alot easier with an automatic helmet which is what you have got :P but good luck with it and you got yourself a bargain with all those panels >_<

#27 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

this is a mini i was looking at as well on ebay but decided it was too much for me to go over to england to get it but it looks good :) welding isnt too hard once you get your settings right, and its alot easier with an automatic helmet which is what you have got :P but good luck with it and you got yourself a bargain with all those panels :)

Yeah I opted not to have the doors he was also offering so got 250 off the price it was actually on eBay for which was a bonus. :). Yeah I'm a bit of a neat freak so don't want to start hacking it around before I know I'll be able to make a good job of it.

Any ideas about whether to fabricate it or buy the repair panels?

H

#28 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hello, long time since i've been on here. But having saved up, booked, and been on holiday i decided the mini could benefit from some more attention. Quick question for people, does anyone have any photos of the mouning points of a rear subframe to show where abouts on the subframe and how many captive nuts there should be as mine only has one on one side.....

help much appreciated!

#29 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

no photos, but there 4 bolts on the boot floor. two either side. they are right on the corner of the wheel arch as you look into the boot. the other 4 are located underneath the car on the heelboard.

chance are some if not all will be siezed in so be patient trying to get them out else they will snap.

Good luck
Ben

#30 Goacher65

Goacher65

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

no photos, but there 4 bolts on the boot floor. two either side. they are right on the corner of the wheel arch as you look into the boot. the other 4 are located underneath the car on the heelboard.

chance are some if not all will be siezed in so be patient trying to get them out else they will snap.

Good luck
Ben

Thanks, I have the subframe out, it's where abouts on the subframe itself the captive nuts are meant to be. And aren't there some that hold the radius arm brackets also?

H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users