#16 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

I was hoping to buy one from Dazzler but he seems to have sold up so I'm assuming I'd have to do it myself.

Iain

#17 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

I was hoping to buy one from Dazzler but he seems to have sold up so I'm assuming I'd have to do it myself.

Iain

Yah i was going to say. Wasn't sure if its the same one he meant

#18 minichick

minichick

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Around Dereham

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

If the price is good, I'd have one as well

#19 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

bump , any prices yet ?

#20 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

bump , any prices yet ?

Who you asking?

#21 James_1

James_1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

If there are enough people interested I will look into getting a batch done in the next few weeks to suit the larger type gearbox using a fabricated tubular frame welded onto Mini turrets. The design is almost done but will need to be prototyped and finalised. If there is a big enough demand I will commision a batch.

#22 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Sounds interesting, I look forward to hearing and seeing more

#23 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Could well be interested in two depending on the price and it would depend on the design too as one of them is intended for a GTM so whilst in general it would need to be the same as a Mini there are some areas where a subframe in a Mini could be altered it would need to be the same as the original in the GTM.

Iain

#24 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I'd be really interested in this. It'd save me a huge amount of trouble and head scratching. A tubular frame sounds brilliant too. Would this suit a round nose without body mods?

Edited by evansisgreat, 26 June 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#25 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

I may also be Interested Depending on a Price.

#26 Leon_mini

Leon_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

Id posibly be intrested too :) aslong as it fits round nose?!

#27 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

Mee toooo :) i want one aswell, depending on price and stuff

#28 James_1

James_1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

This amount of interest is excellent! It will be for a standard round-nose car, I have no interest in lengthening the front end and if I wanted a clubby I'd buy a clubby. As far as the bulkhead goes I may be able to get some manifolds made up too.

My current design which is still literally on the drawing board is based on replacing the sides of the sub frame with fabricated tube welded to the front member and rear turrets, providing clearance above for the engine. All of this will need to be tested first in solid works and then on my car before I put anything into production so please be patient.

As far as I am aware, unless there are some serious difference between a GTM and round nose Mini it should be ok.

Out of interest, would you guys be interested in the fabricated parts supplied for self fitting or would a ready built conversion frame be better? I am very aware of costs here!

#29 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

I'm sure there would be similar interest for the manifolds. I think there might be some interest for components to make a frame, but to make it we'd have to weld up a jig and I think most poeple who would be interested can't weld.

Keep us posted with development. When you've drawn up the prototype get some pics from solidworks up.

Good luck mate.

#30 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Sounding good so far then. I'd be interested in the kit since I'm OK with the metal glue.

Regarding the GTM - so long as the front member of the subframe and the towers are the same and retain their relationship then it should be OK. The tower mounts are pretty nuch the same as a Mini but with shorter bolts and the holes where the teardrop mounts would attach on a Mini front panel are used to secure the front end of the subframe to the GTM rear bulkhead plus a second pair of bolts are added with new holes in the subframe a little further out.

The only possible problems I see are with clearance around the front of the engine. From the pictures I'm hoping it won't be a problem and even less so if I can ditch that first cat under the manifold. If it is then there is scope in a GTM for the engine to move further back as there isn't a bulkhead in the way behind it but obviously this would make it a custom subframe and outside the scope of this exercise.

If you want a guinea-pig for putting a kit together let me know.

Just a thought for the kit idea and the need for a jig...... In most cases this has been because the sides of the subframe have been cut out and the engine dangled in place whilst the new sides were created around it so the jig was needed to keep the front crossmember and rear crossmember and towers aligned. If the sides are ready to go in with reasonably accurate location points/measurements established.... the jig could consist of 4 lengths of tube/angle - 2 that are tacked high on the towers/rear subframe and to the top of the front crossmember and 2 that are tacked low on the rear crossmember/towers and to the bottom of the front crossmember. They pass through the space that the engine and box will eventually occupy but if you don't need the engine and box in place to make the sides up that's not a problem. Couple this with removing one side at a time and welding (or at least heavily tacking) in the replacement side before you remove the other side and there should be no movement of the two original parts of the subframe in relation to each other. The "kit" could conceivably consist of two pre-fabricated sides and some instructions (plus sundries).

Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users