#1 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

this is going back a while but really bored at work so decided to post it here anyway so bear with me and i'll try and time stamp stuff.....

**** 2nd Jul, 2009 at 10:10:55am ****
supermottolee and i decided to brave the heat yesterday and work on my car, always loved 10's and just getting it visually looking better before i do engine work next year.

what you think

before and after below sorry i've tried to do img tags but for the life of me they dont seem to work.....god i'm stupid lol

Posted Image

**** 6th May, 2010 at 02:02:40pm ****
i really cant be bothered much with starting a new thread just for this one pic so i might make this my build thread and update more often as it will slowly comes together over the next few months/years....

to bright?
Posted Image

:-)

Edited by t@z, 04 April 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#2 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

**** 6th May, 2010 at 03:41:52pm ****
tonight i paint my timing cover as i grinded out the lip inside last night so that side will be complete just need to save for drops and i can put the engine back into the car.

turbo phil has the head atm and need to make some enquiries into the manifold see if it can be done as a tm member is making it pending his time.

prob could have done with a bit more protection but was only a quick session on it.
Posted Image

car looking sorry for itself about 2 weeks ago...
Posted Image

and my cowling to go with the bright pink pulley :/
Posted Image

t

**** 25th May, 2010 at 07:46:18am ****
yay presents :)

Posted Image

**** 25th May, 2010 at 02:52:12pm ****
figured i'd go test fit it with a spare head while i wait for mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

bit tight but none the less fits just need to align the oil feed and return so its top to bottom and we'll see how that does.

**** 11th Jun, 2010 at 09:57:50am ****
well progress is slow but thats mainly my fault not the cars.

got the old pedal box (servo type) out at the weekend which was interesting to say the least partly becuase of the heat and those silly snap off bolts; i've located the new one but not put it is fully as i need a new steering column bracket as i may have bent mine :/

the weekend before i also managed to degrease the engine bay as oil was everywhere so now it looks slightly cleaner.

had word from turbophil that my head is done so that good news should be getting that back in the coming weeks.

only other thing thats moved is this arrived last week :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Yesterday this turned up so i spent the evening making it look better. Not bad for £10! The last two i've been watching have both gone for £40.

before
Posted Image

after
Posted Image

spent way to much money this month but they've been things i've needed.

until next time......keep thinking i should do a list but that might be a bit daunting lol

#3 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

**** 23rd Jun, 2010 at 09:38:51pm ****
another lil update...

done oil return, dw theres loads of thread in the return and its not going anywhere.

Posted Image

my head turned up from phil today. nothing special just my old head few new bits n bobs and 24cc was all we(he) could get. it'll do for now, but thanks phil for all your help

Posted Image

probably end up fitting it early next week and maybe the engine making an appearance in the car :dontgetit:

**** 2nd Jul, 2010 at 01:23:27pm ****
well the other day i got my mini delivery of parts. (i've spent a scary amount this month...i'm skint)

all worth it as i now have an engine to show for it. (i think)

not the best pic as taken with my phone in bad lighting.
Posted Image

now comes the mocking started with fitting the fuel reg :thumbsup:

Posted Image

engine in tonight :)

**** 12th Jul, 2010 at 10:25:45am ****
didnt really do much at all this weekend what with being kinda skint from my purchases these last two months.

however i finally put it on wheels which for me is a milestone as at least it looks like its nearly complete from a distance lol; also needs to go for a drive to settle the suspension as its sitting a tad high atm.

Posted Image

i'm currently waiting for johnk to get back to me about his management system and matty has my manifold & turbo as he wanted it back to strengthen it a bit more and see if he can work out a bracket for my actuator (top bloke).

**** 24th Jul, 2010 at 03:25:05pm ****
so i've not been totally lazy these last few weeks i've just been waiting for ******* to turn up and well its starting to get itself to me.

so anyway few problems in that the new med sensor and my ali backing plate didnt quite match up in that where i needed a long bolt the ali plate had a captive short bolt in it. so off it all came and bashed out the captive bolt and popped to supermotolees for a tap and well the fruits of my labour are below.

best not to ask it was just easier for the head to come off to sort timing out (for me anyway)
Posted Image

tdc sorted and sensor mounted i marked where it was and off the tooth came.
Posted Image

back together and i also have spent some money in dsn classics also :thumbsup:
Posted Image

pulley shot all done.
Posted Image

last but not least fitted my new drop backet, must say nice bit of kit.
Posted Image

but thats it for now. just waiting on my MJ to turn up, ordering my new loom maybe next week and picking up my turbo from matty hopefully monday so i can start to encounter real problems.

oh yeah i also got the elbow and link pipe from Mirage......getting there!

T

#4 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

**** 11th Oct, 2010 at 10:01:41am ****
well not really much of an update as i've been mega busy with work and travelling however there has been some developments.

my matty manifold is currently off to get the head flanges thickness matched to the inlet so i can get all that mocked up. once that is back i've got myself an external wastegate and some stainless (i'm sure you've seen supermotolees pic) so i'll be trying to mock/fab something to get these 2 attached to each other.

i've also ordered a new front loom 81 with some changes for the pre-engaged starter, fuel pump, rear loom plug etc from (http://www.autosparks.co.uk) very helpful people! However the lead time is 7 weeks to make so i'm waiting for that to arrive.

So in the mean time i've got my feed sorted. i just need to try and understand if i need a restriction to slow the flow of oil down or not?
Posted Image

then i finally decided to get my pedal box done...hate this job! and i bleed the clutch. Still need to sort out one bit of brake pipe. but getting there
Posted Image

my mate also did this for me at his works, saved a few pennies :thumbsup:
Posted Image

so thats it really for now...hopefully will come together before the end of the year

**** 17th Oct, 2010 at 04:40:36pm ****
well another productive weekend not on the car so to speak but towards getting it on the road.....

got my manifolds back from the machinist so got on with mocking up on the spare head.
Posted Image

i then got my stainless steel tube and tested to see where i was bloody gonna mount the thing!
Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co...kiy/5087064776/

well seems to work ok! i took the rough diameter of the manifold tubing, went indoors and rocked powerpoint to make a semi circle to the size and printed it out as a guide (who needs CAD).....after what seemed like an eternity as i didn't really know how to attack the tubing i finally got to this stage and thought i'd give up to go get some dinner.
Posted Image

a new day a new fresh take on things and time to hit the garage again....! sometime later after some loud music and a noisy angle grinder cutting/grinding i kinda had what i though was going to be a finished piece (oh how wrong i was). once i had gotten the two bits cut out it would have been fine on a straight bit of manifold but alas it wasn't meant to be. i got my marker and the attempted to guess where to cut then grind back to try and get a better fit on the bend so i could try and mount it upright or as upright as i could get it as its a heavy *******! this is what i ended up with.
Posted Image

supermotto lee is gonna check it for me then the manifold is going to get cut by my mate who has a plasma cutter (sorry matty) then it'll all get welded together :) .....and yes it is for this!
Posted Image

in other news i'm kinda stuck on things to do now so thought i'd start on the dash. only thing that really took time was making the templates for the shelf but once they were dont it was pretty straight forward.
Posted Image
Posted Image

the other thing i did was cut the mirage elbow off the flange as it doesn't quite line up on the matty manifold as its at an angle; not the end of the world i just need an extra pair of hand to work out the exhaust. so when supermotto lee has some time i'll get that done as well.

anyway thats all for now folks!

t

#5 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

**** 24th Dec, 2010 at 10:07:51am ****
well its been a while and to be honest jack poop has happened other than i got my loom and well put it in the car...by put i mean the front seat as had exams in november and well times just flown to christmas really

anyway after i think about 2 months of waiting finally got this as my secret santa present back yesterday :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

gonna try and get the thing wired monday then just need to sort the exhaust out and fuel lines.

**** 4th Jan, 2011 at 01:21:38pm ****
here it is fitted and yes i still need to do my wiring :thumbsup:

done bugger all as the covers was stuck to the car and well motivation is low :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

t

**** 10th Jan, 2011 at 01:55:33pm ****
right well got my ass into gear yesterday and did some of the wiring, i'd say i got the rear loom plugged in and the switches, some of the engine done. i need a fusebox so once that turns up that will tidy up a lot of the other lose wires i have around the bulk head. need to start on the centre clock next so i'll bring that in as i can do that in doors.

i couldnt find my coil pack and edis so bit ******* off about that so i'm gonna turn the garage upside down wednesday eve as i really dont want to spend another 60 pounds at triggerwheels.

need to do a search on here about fuel lines what id i require as i remember somewhere reading the in and out on the fuel regs were different? and my copper lines from the spi seem tiny in comparison.

have other things like mount the remote oil filter i need to sort, not sure where ms expect me to mount it with the small amount of hose they gave me haha.....

ah well i feel tad motivated once more so fingers crossed the weather holds off and well i know i have more to do than i mentioned here but its now getting there.

lil steps.

t

anyway that's it for now guys will update soon.

#6 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Very very nice mate, looks incredibly similar to my build!

I take it thats a 998 with a T2 turbo?

& the oil feed plumbs into the speedo drive?

#7 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Very very nice mate, looks incredibly similar to my build!

I take it thats a 998 with a T2 turbo?

& the oil feed plumbs into the speedo drive?

1293 T2 close :)

yeh it was insanely tight and i really couldn't be bothered with messing so that's where i decided to put it. i shall have my tomtom in the car at all times so wont be breaking the law so much :s (no lectures though please :thumbsup: )

#8 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Ah okay, haha nah I wasn't gonna say anything about that. I'm still in the stages of building and turboing mine, so it's good to see some detailed pictures, expect some questions :)

#9 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Ah okay, haha nah I wasn't gonna say anything about that. I'm still in the stages of building and turboing mine, so it's good to see some detailed pictures, expect some questions :thumbsup:

to get a return take off for the T2 was also a bit hard, believe mine came from Japan with some kit. then i would have had to find a return plate for the fuel pump....and well seeing as its gravity that is the return i figure'd the lower the better :)

#10 tadleysimon

tadleysimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

thought id add that the speedo isnt a legal requirement, you have to be able to see it but it doesnt have to work.

mine passed its mot fine with a broken speedo cable

#11 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

thought id add that the speedo isnt a legal requirement, you have to be able to see it but it doesnt have to work.

mine passed its mot fine with a broken speedo cable

Well, they don't test it on the MOT. But im pretty sure you have to have one. Also assuming its going to work.

But my car has read 72,000 miles for the last 3 years with a disconntected speedo and no problems.

I've been following your progress on TM, it looks great. Should be a bit of a sleeper aswell.

#12 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

lovin' the retro look to the mini.... hoping to build a turbo soon myself so you made for an interesting read mate....

#13 Nick '91

Nick '91

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Strange, been a bit lost for motivation with my project for a while and spent the last couple of weeks thinking of what to do engine wise. However today I think/hope Ive finally decided on a 1293 t2 turbo, sadly Ive been unable to sleep (thinking about this) and decided to check some build threads and yours was top of the list basically as what I want to have next year.

Apologies for bad grammar/spelling and going on making little sense but thought I should post just to say thanks for the motivation/encouragement and nice car.

#14 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

Strange, been a bit lost for motivation with my project for a while and spent the last couple of weeks thinking of what to do engine wise. However today I think/hope Ive finally decided on a 1293 t2 turbo, sadly Ive been unable to sleep (thinking about this) and decided to check some build threads and yours was top of the list basically as what I want to have next year.

Apologies for bad grammar/spelling and going on making little sense but thought I should post just to say thanks for the motivation/encouragement and nice car.

just bear in mind the cost.....and the time thats all i'd say its the little issues that get you.

#15 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

27th Apr, 2011 at 10:12:11am
well after forgetting that i actually owned a mini for a few months i finally uncovered it a got my motivation back to get it sorted...slowly.

i've finished the wiring hopefully with just the centre console to put bulbs in and plug in; oh also need to finish the headlights but waiting for new bowls to turn up. Water system is all sealed and alternator belt and all that jazz is on.

Turbo is now fitted with feed so i'm glad thats done feels like a bit of a milestone for me as i never thought it would get there; or sometimes felt like the bloody thing will never see the car. The studs were very tight and had to be chopped down but all sorted. i stil need to fit the down pipe on the turbo but i need to get this welded up as my matty manifold is at an angle and it fowled on the back of the block to had to cut the down pipe from the flange twist and will spot and get properly welded and secure properly (fingers crossed this wont take to long). Once on the car i was surprised how much space i had!!

My list is as follows:

- order coilpack and edis (i lost mine)
- wire in MJ
- bleed brakes
- finish centre console wiring
- wire in fuel pump
- weld exhaust down pipe
- mock up IC
- fit wastegate
- mock screamer pipe.....

and if i can be bothered

- fit remote oil filter and oil cooler (i may do these at a later date.)

anyway few piccys (and yes that is my bad welding but it was my first attempt lol)

Posted Image
feed fitted by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
turbo bolted by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
gap-turbo by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
turbo on by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

t

30th Apr, 2011 at 10:13:14pm
well a bit of a good day i think! supermottolee popped over and as i wont lie i was struggling with panicing so its nice to have a clam head about you to look at things logically as me, myself and i were struggling a bit :P

so my complications of the exhaust down pipe sitting to lower than expected resulted in chopping down the elbow to bring the down pipe up and some adjusting, grinding and well you can see from the piccys. Le has it now to get welded by someone who can weld then i'll fit it.

big thanks to lee really appreciated his help on this!!

piccys below.

Posted Image
IMG_0723 by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_0724 by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMG_0725 by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

t

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users