146 replies to this topic

#46 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

You got it, If the primer looks really good you could even use 1200 just to get rid of the bits of dust etc that have settled in it when wet.

A word of advise though- paint the backs first (should have said that before you primed them!) You can bet that even if the paint feels dry it won't be hard for a good couple of days, so when you turn them onto their fronts to paint the backs, the faces will mark slightly as they aren't light and will push on what ever you put them on, be soft or hard!

#47 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

A word of advise though- paint the backs first (should have said that before you primed them!) You can bet that even if the paint feels dry it won't be hard for a good couple of days, so when you turn them onto their fronts to paint the backs, the faces will mark slightly as they aren't light and will push on what ever you put them on, be soft or hard!

You’ll also get dry, rough finish over spray on the fronts if you do the backs last as well.

#48 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

i was hoping you'd see this C4NN0N :D

thats a good idea but i'd probably do them on 2 seperate days, the fronts one day and the backs another, as they are 2 different colours.

the thing is the back is going to be red, i was thinking that over spray from the front going onto the back wont be a problem as thats going to be white but getting it the other way around i can see problems.

i was planning on doing the width of the spoke red along with the entire back, and the fronts gloss white. so i was going to paint the front mask off all the holes in the spokes then do the entire back red. would that not be good??
i guess ive got some nifty masking to do!

Edited by maggies_minder, 02 February 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#49 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

Paint the white first, it is a LOT harder to paint white over a strong colour than it is to paint a strong colour over white. (In terms of layers etc).

Normally this means yes- You will have a lot of masking to do! the most important thing not to do is rush (including drying time!)- thats what makes paint jobs shoddy :D

And yes I forgot to mention overspray! Not so much of an issue with the primer as you will flat back but I doubt you are intending to flat n polish your top coats as it will be a mega job going something as fiddly as wellers!

#50 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

cool well the plan is to get back down there and finish the backs with 2 more coats of primer, leave them in the house until the weekend then ill flat them back and probably paint either sunday or monday as im picking up the misses new car saturday.

ill update with new photos later.
cheers folks.

#51 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

photo update, priming is now finished going to leave them the weekend to fully harden off then after cleaning them up its the part ive been looking forward to.
the backs only have 3 coats of primer as that was how much i had left, i didnt really want to buy a whole new can just to do one more layer so its 3 layers plus a little more where it was needed.
Attached File  100_0595.JPG   832.93K   8 downloads

this is how they looked when i arrived today, stevo had done 2 coats like he said he would last night when he finished work.
(hes a little camera shy but he looks a lot like Brad Friedel, the Villa goalie!)

anyway heres the final coat for the back,
Attached File  100_0597.JPG   898.18K   8 downloads

and a close up, reay to be cleaned up ready for paint.
Attached File  100_0598.JPG   727.95K   19 downloads

one of them has definately choosen itself to be the spare as its slightly more "ragged" than the others.
so next update will be next week when the painting begins.

as always your thoughts and ideas are welcome (and wanted)
cheers.

#52 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

right, firstly sorry for anyone who was interested in this refurb for the lack of progress, with work ive struggled for time and then motivation when i did manage to have some time.

ive taken over my nans greenhouse as with the sun and my trusty electric heater i can get it up to like 50 degrees so the paints drying really nicely.

anyway, now i finally have yokos to go on these badboys once they are finished, so long as the weather stays nice i plan to get them done in a couple weeks.

heres todays progress,

first job was to clear space and construct a makeshift booth, otherwise i would've had a grumpy pensioner on my hands all day. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

then on with the paint, halfords gloss appliance white.
Posted Image
this is after one coat.

sorry about the shade, this was before lunch so the sun hadnt made it over the house and into the greenhouse, it also meant progress was slow this morning.
once the sun was on the greenhouse though, pace picked up.

due to the lack of space it was a constant cycle of, paint, move to dry, get next wheel and start painting, then moving the previous wheel to allow the present wheel to have somewhere to stay.
Posted Image

Posted Image
thats the second coat, just as its gone on.

Posted Image
same again second coat, just a slightly different angle.

Posted Image
Posted Image
the wheel on the left has two coats the one on the right is just 4 coats of primer so its matt as opposed to gloss although the camera didnt really pick up what i was after. (you can tell by the colour of the masking tape).

how they finished up after i moved them into nans spare room so i didnt have to worry about scratching or chipping them in the back of the mini on the way home.
Posted Image

and a close up after 2 dry coats.
Posted Image

the plan is to continue at this pace (weather permitting) do the backs, but to make sure the fronts are perfect as they will be on show.
im thinking minimum of 3coats maybe 4 on the front.
and a couple on the backs, then laquer all of them.
wrap them in yokos and have some fun ready for the shows. (by which i mean the show car park, shes not a queen my mini)

as always let me know what you guys an gals think.
thanks for looking.

#53 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

about time mate lol their looking sweet from the pics. thought any more about ya personnel touch?

#54 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

ive contacted roofless with some ideas nothing major mind, just waiting to hear back.

#55 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

been back at it today for a few hours.

added another coat to the fronts of all the wheels, which takes them upto 4.
Posted Image
Posted Image

they arent perfect but they are looking really nice. in my eyes anyway :lol:

got a little carried away mind,
Posted Image
Posted Image

on that spoke and towards the stud hole, you can see a massive run in the paint, theres still a couple more coats to go on and i'll be flatting them back before i whack the laquer on.

i decided to start on the backs before i finished the final coats on the front.
so i dont have to worry about messing the fronts up when flipping them over to work on the back.

Posted Image
just taped up ready for the first coat, so thats still just the primer.

Posted Image
this is after one coat.

two coats,
Posted Image
and a close up
Posted Image

and eventually 3 coats,
Posted Image
again a close up
Posted Image

after talking with h4wx1e on here, it was decided that the more coats the better, even on the rear of the wheel which i dont care too much about.
mainly because the car is used daily, to give the wheels a slightly longer shelf life.

so its another coat on the backs, taking it upto 4, then a good few coats of laquer, at least a couple on the back.
then it'll be back onto the fronts, which will again have another coat taking them upto 5, then 1200grit wet'n'dry before a few coats of laquer.

so this is them back in nans spare room hardening off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

considering the state these were in when i got them im well chuffed with how they're looking.
dont get me wrong they are no where near perfect, i never expected them to be, everything ive done in the "refurb" is a first so ive been stumbling along learning as i go.

once on the car if you get caught looking too closely ill give you a little nudge to knock you over, that way youll never see the imperfections. :cry:

let me know what you think.
cheers.

#56 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

no body likey??
even after all the recent threads on wellers...
:lol:

#57 monster_mini

monster_mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

I've just read through the whole refurb from start to finish:) very jealous! fancy doing some for me and then sending them to New Zealand:P?

love them!:lol:

nick

#58 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

I've just read through the whole refurb from start to finish:) very jealous! fancy doing some for me and then sending them to New Zealand:P?

love them!:lol:

nick

thanks very much,
but i say...
mate just go for it like i said everything im doing, im doing for the first time. ive never attempted anything like this before.
im kinda making it up as i go along with some words of wisdom from a few on here and h4wx1e.
wouldve been awesome if i could get paint cheaper but hey ho.

#59 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

looking good, cant wait to see them on the motor mate. fancy doing my old set of super stars? :lol:

#60 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

looking good, cant wait to see them on the motor mate. fancy doing my old set of super stars? :lol:

we can give them a go, theres a place in town that will shot blast and powercoat any colour for 15smackers a wheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users