sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

What does the copper pipe do?

Heat soak and a backing piece / tool for when i filled the holes in the doors with weld.

#843 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

What does the copper pipe do?

Heat soak and a backing piece / tool for when i filled the holes in the doors with weld.
Thanks for letting me know I understand.

#844 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Been thinking of how i was going to paint the bonnet and boot lid so it was time to make some frames to enable them to be painted both sides without having to flip them over.

Bonnet stand, the uprights have been chopped back to enable paint coverage.

JJpMYJK.jpg

zzu5qcm.jpg

Boot lid stand

7csV752.jpg

RjHKYQp.jpg

Now the trim strips i cleaned up the other week were preying on my mind so a trail fit of all four highlighted an issue with 3 of them, so they needed sectioning to get them to sit right without relying totally on the spring clips

9Uglgc4.jpg

yBbB29m.jpg

K77rgtx.jpg

m9hVpXw.jpg

5ZHMS3W.jpg

GzCTqb8.jpg

#845 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:07 PM

Expert level preparation!

I remember having to reshape those strips on mine quite a bit and they still were not an ideal fit - mostly my fault for minor inaccuracy when aligning the new rear quarters, and also from having tweaked the guttering when I repaired it. Yours is shaping up to be absolutely brilliant though. :)

#846 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Expert level preparation!

I remember having to reshape those strips on mine quite a bit and they still were not an ideal fit - mostly my fault for minor inaccuracy when aligning the new rear quarters, and also from having tweaked the guttering when I repaired it. Yours is shaping up to be absolutely brilliant though. :)

Cheers Rich,

it was the final bit of welding to do and happy with how they come out. Car has now been completely sanded in readiness for primer. Hopefully tomorrow once the rest of the plastic sheeting is up and i have made a few modifications to the various airlines and filters it will be paint time.

#847 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Plastic time

lZ1fPeu.jpg

Then it was onto paper and taping

3ExbLYI.jpg

2q5DZKv.jpg

zX5FSmJ.jpg

And trying to figure out whether i can get everything in together to save messing about.

Yy6VDqV.jpg

#848 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Looking good, you have given me some ideas on how to hold the panels for painting.
Which 2k high build are you going to use, my last batch I tried some lechler ti green and found it very good build and easy to flat, would use it again.
Am in process of building my own booth at the moment it is a tedious job but important to do correct.

#849 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Reminds me of when I primed my clubman in my garage, just not quite enough room!!

#850 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

And after a few hours of cleaning and wiping down we end up with this

wIWHy3U.jpg

rGSA4aY.jpg

2Ep4scD.jpg

zxqFOgB.jpg

VJ74Hzi.jpg

Lots of blocking to do, the spray gun setting was not perfect which i have now sorted so a lesson learned. It will need a flash over once i have done the blocking.

#851 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

nice one.

How did you get on with the Octoral?

#852 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

nice one.

I think my gun was the issue Ben. Also i realised i have not used enough thinners which did not help. Its reasonable but a lot of block sanding to do. What i will do is once i have flatted it all back i will flash over with another pass where needed but make sure i use more thinners.

I did follow your instructions but the gun issue did not help. It did cover well and now i know where the issue is it will be easier next pass.

Live and learn, with the gun it meant i did not get a good build up so basically lots of light passes but it did look quite orange peel finish. 

However it does sand, its quite hard but leaves a nice finish. So out with the 320 pads tomorrow, another pass where needed then final sand back with 400. I will get the hang of this. Patience is the key. I spent soooooo much time setting everything up it was almost an anti climax.

#853 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

nice one.

I think my gun was the issue Ben. Also i realised i have not used enough thinners which did not help. Its reasonable but a lot of block sanding to do. What i will do is once i have flatted it all back i will flash over with another pass where needed but make sure i use more thinners.

I did follow your instructions but the gun issue did not help. It did cover well and now i know where the issue is it will be easier next pass.

Live and learn, with the gun it meant i did not get a good build up so basically lots of light passes but it did look quite orange peel finish. 

However it does sand, its quite hard but leaves a nice finish. So out with the 320 pads tomorrow, another pass where needed then final sand back with 400. I will get the hang of this. Patience is the key. I spent soooooo much time setting everything up it was almost an anti climax.

That's just the way it goes sometimes.

As I said in the PM's I thin mine by eye so now you know you need to go thinner, you will almost certainly be able to get it by viscosity.

What was wrong with the gun? did you have the flow too low? done that myself a few times before now

#854 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

nice one.

That's just the way it goes sometimes.

As I said in the PM's I thin mine by eye so now you know you need to go thinner, you will almost certainly be able to get it by viscosity.

What was wrong with the gun? did you have the flow too low? done that myself a few times before now

Flow was ok but the spray fan setting was wring. Once i was cleaning the gun i found the adjuster was in the wrong place. (dial on the side of the gun) So messed around with it using some gunwash and got a decent spray pattern. Trial and error and yup even using the mixing stick method you mentioned it really did need more thinners. Not to worry now i know.

#855 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Got plenty of Octoral left so not an issue. Just means things are going to take an extra day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users