#1006 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

Well its been a while, work has been taking its toll and an impending shift change means i will be able to crack on again.

So a nice little box appeared today

7r7ITl4.jpg

And within it were these bad boys

hQGgFRl.jpg

Fantastic service by the Protech boys. Ordered on Mon lunch time, built on tues, delivered today. Very impressive.

Also last night i was tinkering with the Articulated hinge damper extender plates from Minivation. I like using captive sealed anchor nuts so knocked up a  couple of mounting plates from brushed stainless and i have some high tensile aero spec 1/4"bi hex bolts to mount it all with. A bit of overkill but why not. A drop of paint and some sealant will make these fully water tight even more so than they are now.

C0XyyQM.jpg

Nzz0S1h.jpg

#1007 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Back up the workshop at last, so first thing to sort out were the Minivation Articulated Hinges.

Ben kindly replaced the damage L/H hinge and also sent me some modified plates to attach the dampers to. These are supposed to prevent the corner of the bonnet from lifting.

So its trial fit time, first thing is to find the two holes already in the inner wings

JXsyjXD.jpg

LyNFeRd.jpg

Then it was time to offer things up and drill the two extra holes. Done and dusted, however due to the various layers of metal and steps some shimming was needed. Oh and some trimming of the plates and i ended up with this.

dndrIA7.jpg

WPraEot.jpg

Plates on

N86AjRi.jpg

tppNwCW.jpg

PEDknD3.jpg

lBpx025.jpg

Nut plates in place

VGhJodt.jpg

pHNZG9P.jpg

4hmalQD.jpg

7kEa4z0.jpg

Trial fit the bonnet tomorrow then it will all come off to paint the nut plates and touch up the three areas i managed to chip  :xxx:  :xxx:  :xxx:  :xxx:

#1008 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

So the bonnet went on today and its nearly there. It now sits down at the back without any help, however the replacement hing must be slightly different to the old one as it now sits back by 5mm. Time to slot the holes again to give the adjustment i need.

JvoDOlY.jpg

ZI5CXyi.jpg

9us25Ha.jpg

6dLrEyq.jpg

The gap on the left will be sorted once i have done the required fettling to the bonnet

hoktZMz.jpg

And finally got the tyres removed off the GB alloys i bought off keith Winters, the chap who had his Cooper s restored on Car SOS.

mO6Qp5s.jpg

And my local Powder Coater has closed down which has ticked me off. Now need to find another one.

#1009 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Well as it happens the powder coater i use has not closed down but actually moved closer to me so happy days. :D  :D

Anyway my long awaited parcel arrived to day

RknrarR.jpg

And within was this little lot

Nhf7Xqk.jpg

ucUQ9Iq.jpg

tSRiLbv.jpg

ti8cNZz.jpg

ArAGY4v.jpg

MMeBkOZ.jpg

BRuie2p.jpg

Talk about excited but also now with some trepidation. There is a harness and multiple plugs that need wiring up, never done that before on a car so something new for me.

#1010 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

..is it Christmas again ? you must have been a very good boy..

#1011 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

..is it Christmas again ? you must have been a very good boy..

Nope not Xmas, I have been mulling what route to go with regards to the power plant, Promotive was very very high on the list but since they dropped off the scene and a viewing of a certain YouTube Video with a Arden 8 Port giving it beans swayed my mind.

And this is a self funded enterprise to keep the wife happy, so the body resto I did for Will, doors I have re skinned and sold plus a few other things over the last couple of years have got me this far. Still a long way to go, block to be modified for 11 studs, a strip down of the overhauled short block we bought to make sure everything is as it should be. New ARP rod bolts, head studs etc. Oh and a bit of lightning and balancing as well.

#1012 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:43 PM

I have been mulling over going with the SC 7 port or perhaps an 8 port and am still a little undecided. The quality of the SC stuff looks amazing (I already have a few bits) but just wondering if you had looked into who will be mapping the car for you? As I see you live down south (as do I)and wanted to know if you have had any issue with finding someone to map the SC ECU. Its the one thing that sort of holds me back from ordering it as any other system uses OMEX or DTA (which are well known and have many dealers/mappers) but the SC ECU is a little bit of an unknown.

Fantastic project by the way and I am sure the wiring will be simple enough......

#1013 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

I have been mulling over going with the SC 7 port or perhaps an 8 port and am still a little undecided. The quality of the SC stuff looks amazing (I already have a few bits) but just wondering if you had looked into who will be mapping the car for you? As I see you live down south (as do I)and wanted to know if you have had any issue with finding someone to map the SC ECU. Its the one thing that sort of holds me back from ordering it as any other system uses OMEX or DTA (which are well known and have many dealers/mappers) but the SC ECU is a little bit of an unknown.

Fantastic project by the way and I am sure the wiring will be simple enough......

I have not looked into anyone for mapping the car although i am prepared to take the car to someone who has experience with this type of ECU and Map.

Looking at everything it all looks very well made and built so hopefully none of that will be an issue. I have been given a heads up with some hurdles to overcome when setting everything up. The wiring side, i have had a chat with Wiredbywilson who hopefully will assist in doing the whole car as i want to make changes to a brand new loom i will be buying.

And thanks, its been a labour of love and its still a long way off from being completed. Still tons of things to buy, things to upgrade, painting the suspension components, re foaming the seats etc etc etc.

#1014 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

The SC head looks amazing, looks like someone had to smash the piggy bank! Great to see it coming along. Hope you're keeping well. 

#1015 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

Brilliant! Good to see stuff happening again!

So shiny! This thing is gonna rip! Any particular deadline in mind? I am bringing mine down your way in the summer for players classic at goodwood, and mini festival at brands hatch. :)

#1016 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

Depending where. You are in the UK, Chris at EFI Parts, Ben at BHPerformance or SC themselves.

#1017 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

Well after a little chat with Ian Osborne of OAP Paddy's block, crank, rods etc is off for a little bit of TLC.

Now although when we bought the engine we were told it had been fully machined ready to go, i found a few issues.

The crank journals although in good order still need some TLC so at least a polish at the very minimum. He has been given a full brand new set of bearings but to be honest its pointless before they are at least polished.

iJmwKJr.jpg

YuKgFau.jpg

Also he has had a new set of cam bearings fitted but they are burred so they need to be dealt with.

Oz will be checking the bore size to ensure a nice shiny set of these puppies will fit the bill

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

This will be attached to the A+ rods that were lurking inside the block.

pD1IqzE.jpg.

The block will be surfaced and 11 stud mod carried out.

New oil plugs as well

The whole bottom end will be balanced with a new flywheel C-AEG619

Backplate 22A598

Clutch GCP204AF and C-AEG481H Orange Diaphragm.

Centre Strap fitted on his recommendation, along with a CST3010-PP Camshaft (recommended by Northernpower)

Once all done (new oil pump etc etc) it will rev safely to 7000rpm.

Big step for me and something to give me some encouragement to get things moving again.

Still got all of the suspension components to paint, refresh the top arms with new bearings etc.

#1018 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

Its time to start painting the suspension so first on the list are the refurbed radius arms and new Heritage backplates.

Me being me, i don't like seeing all of the flashing marks on the arms so it was time for a bit of a polish up.

zFIn6gB.jpg

NTe01PF.jpg

qsywZSP.jpg

So after a bit of work things look like this 

nUVrN1L.jpg

9ILpO7r.jpg

KCtnF3W.jpg

Then it was onto etch primer followed by filler primer

UtNc09g.jpg

wmLJZSp.jpg

And the Backplates

vAYNWtO.jpg

rfdWnak.jpg

Still waiting for my orders from MED and Minispares for the engine and i'm hoping Calver will be getting some more of their 1.4 Rockers. I need those for the cam i'm getting from them.

#1019 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

First of the engine bits to turn up. Omega piston time.

FrzFRJn.jpg

#1020 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

A couple more boxes turned up today for the engine build

RiNYxSF.jpg

hukpHnB.jpg

RMkQwDA.jpg

rEUBJ2y.jpg

Thats pretty much it for this year as funds are low now. Time to pass stuff over to Oz to get things going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users