The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

Right, I have chosen the colours for my Mini at last (I think).

I am gonna go with Rover metallic gunmetal for the majority of the bodywork but am going to paint the roof in Rover charcoal metallic. I bought a couple of aerosols from Halfruads yesterday just to persuade myself further and spray a small sample of the roof and maybe a rear pillar or something.

My question is:

as I have never painted with metallic paint before I am not 100% certain about laquer application. How many coats will I need to spray? Also, where the roof panel (one colour) meets the other panels, do I spray them all with the base coats, then laquer the whole thing in one go?? It won't actually be me spraying the basecoat and laquer, the GFs brother is going to, but I just want to know what order things need to be done in.

Thanks in advance! :grin:

#2 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hi Mini mad me.

If your car was coming to me for the paintwork this is how I would do it.

First base coat the roof up and then apply only one coat of lacquer at this stage, I’ll explain why later. Leave the car for one day to allow the lacquer to dry ( if your painting it in a booth bake it 20 mins, then let it stand for 30 mins as paint dries when its cooling down)

Next step.
Get a grey scotch brite and flat the roof until its dull, DO NOT use any wet n dry paper on the roof as you’ll more than likely rub through the coat of lacquer, now mask the roof out using either foam edge or I prefer to use 2” masking tape folded over its self this is called blind masking. Once the roof is masked base the car up and allow the base coat to dry before you unmask the roof.

Now the whole car is ready to be lacquered at one go.

If you’re going to use cellulose lacquer then apply 3 coats, if you’re using 2 pack lacquer apply 2 coats.

The reason why we only apply one coat of lacquer on the roof is, it’s basically a protection from the masking tape. If you where to mask start on to base coat then there is every chance that when you pull the tape off you’ll see deposits from the tape on the base coat.

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Mate, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Legend :wink:

Thanks, :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic