Still don't know which way this project is headed (998 - 1079, 998 - 1098, 1275 bored to 1293) so I am just getting on with bits n pieces. I would also like to convert from drums to 7.5 Disc. Money is tight so I am putting a bit away every now and then and will do what I can when I can, looks like it's going to be another 5 year project
Today, after spending a good two hours cleaning an sorting in my garage I started to clean up parts from the 1275 MG Metro engine that I have.
Every time I go into the garage I am confronted by a grotty looking Bell Housing so I thought I get cracking with that.
I had considered dropping it into some Citric Acid but I have not tried cleaning Ali using that method so I decided to just have a go mechanically.
I have kept it mounted on the Flywheel Housing to avoid losing bolts:
So first job was to separate it:
Then first I had a go with a hand held wire brush to remove most of the Aluminium Oxide, then with a couple of different brass circular brushes in a drill, then a filament brush and finally quick go over with some 1500 W&D, all the above (apart from the first few brushes) lubricated using some Plus Gas:
It's not brilliant but it's a darn sight better than it was.
I'll do the Flywheel housing next and then at some point finish both these off but not sure how yet, either successive W&D or better still bead blasted.
Problem is I no longer have a compressor and don't have a blast cabinet, neither do I really want to pay out to have them done