66 replies to this topic

#1 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

i know evilbay is always there but its got lots of bad sellers, at least if forum members have a non-mini section added we can hope the sellers will take more pride and at the end of the day its gonna pump more money into peoples projects etc

all comments welcome

#2 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

I see no reason why the "non mini" section cannot be reinstated. The old system was better anyway. Used to get email alerts when a member asked about your item.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

as this is a mini forum the staff members wanted to keep the classified section mini based

after the number of topics about being ripped off by sellers on this forum i don't think we are any better of worse than what you will find on ebay

#4 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

I see no reason why the "non mini" section cannot be reinstated. The old system was better anyway. Used to get email alerts when a member asked about your item.

Subscribing to the thread would solve that problem instantly.

#5 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

as this is a mini forum the staff members wanted to keep the classified section mini based

Would have been nice if they had asked the members what they wanted!

#6 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

I also liked the distance option where you put in the beginning of your postcode. Maybe the non-mini section could be resurrected if you apply a higher post count maybe 200-250+ to make it safer ?

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

i didn't know it was the members forum

from what i know it was started by 2 friends so that they could learn how to fix their minis and help other people like them and they paid for the running costs out of their own money

when the forum grew they asked others for help and when they could no longer pay the bills their selves looked for other options

at no point has the forum been owned by the members it's just run for them, unless you could tell me other wise

#8 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

from what i know it was started by 2 friends so that they could learn how to fix their minis and help other people like them and they paid for the running costs out of their own money

when the forum grew they asked others for help and when they could no longer pay the bills their selves looked for other options

at no point has the forum been owned by the members, unless you could tell me other wise

It's not a question of ownership, it's a matter of common courtesy. Its the members that make this forum what it is, especially those that have paid for membership, and I doubt the "the two friends" made the decision to mess about with the ads sections. This forum could be even better if the members were consulted a bit more.
by the way the "Team" don't own it either, and "Traders" are allowed to sell non mini items.

Edited by Scallywag630, 29 March 2011 - 10:06 PM.

#9 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Most of the feedback I have ever seen related to the older section not being as user friendly, and too far removed from the main forum that many people were not using it. It seems, in my eyes at least, to have many more posts in there now and is better being incorporated into the main forum, rather than being stand alone.

#10 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

at no point has the forum been owned by the members, unless you could tell me other wise

This is the exact reply i expected from a member of the team, and it makes me wonder that if your names not in Red or Green your considered worthless. Another forum went down the route of its admin and mods being more important than its members and over the course of a couple of months, the forum became extinct.

Remember, without the Members there would be NO FORUM!!!

Personally i'd like to see a 'non-mini' for sale section as its a bit unfair BINI owners can post but not sell their cars on here :thumbsup:

A possibility could be for TMF+ members only to make it safer.

Edited by Darkscamp, 30 March 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#11 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

This topic keeps popping up about the non-mini section... and I have to say, like most... its the members that make a forum. the Admin look after it... and solve any problems that the members have... this clearly seems to be one of those problems.... I know one thing... I've not seen anyone posting saying "I'm so glad the non-mini" section has gone....

...personally, I think selling things to people on the forum even if non-mini related is a good way of keeping our "community" together... that's my view anyway...

I recently bought a non-related item from TMF anyway! and I am sure other have too.. so its still happening.. and will continue to happen, I received the item, was in great condition, and was cheaper than if I'd gone to Ebay because the member was happy to help another fellow mini owner.. that's why the non-mini section worked so well in the past...

Jason

#12 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

This is the exact reply i expected from a member of the team, and it makes me wonder that if your names not in Red or Green your considered worthless. Another forum went down the route of its admin and mods being more important than its members and over the course of a couple of months, the forum became extinct.

Remember, without the Members there would be NO FORUM!!!

Personally i'd like to see a 'non-mini' for sale section as its a bit unfair BINI owners can post but not sell their cars on here :thumbsup:

A possibility could be for TMF+ members only to make it safer.

Exactly what he said - apart from non mini stuff can be sold by anyone with a post count higher than 200 ?

#13 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Most of the feedback I have ever seen related to the older section not being as user friendly, and too far removed from the main forum that many people were not using it. It seems, in my eyes at least, to have many more posts in there now and is better being incorporated into the main forum, rather than being stand alone.

You are right Simon, there are many more posts in the new section, but many of these are off the topic of buying or selling (a way of getting ones post count higher). There are numerous attempts at circumventing the rules via Valuations and general posts. As I have suggested before, make posting in the "For Sale" section open to only TMF+ members whilst allowing non + members to see and buy. Many "Noobies" have asked how to become a + member and have done so to be able to post. I do not think any member (+ or not) would object to paying £5 for the ability to post ads fo a year and also support the forum. As for "non mini" items, if Traders can sell, why can't members?

#14 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

You are right Simon, there are many more posts in the new section, but many of these are off the topic of buying or selling (a way of getting ones post count higher). There are numerous attempts at circumventing the rules via Valuations and general posts. As I have suggested before, make posting in the "For Sale" section open to only TMF+ members whilst allowing non + members to see and buy. Many "Noobies" have asked how to become a + member and have done so to be able to post. I do not think any member (+ or not) would object to paying £5 for the ability to post ads fo a year and also support the forum. As for "non mini" items, if Traders can sell, why can't members?

Actually I would as I joined before it was a fee paying forum and I don't use any of the discounts entitled and I don't wish to pay for a TVR !!!

#15 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Actually I would as I joined before it was a fee paying forum and I don't use any of the discounts entitled and I don't wish to pay for a TVR !!!

Lol,,,TVR..plastic kit car...... But where can you place a year's worth of ads for £5? If we are not allowed to sell non mini bits, what about the unwanted L2B tickets?

Edited by Scallywag630, 30 March 2011 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users