76 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMinus

MiniMinus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

Here is my front engine r1 mini minus project.

Engine kit supplied by lynx-ae
Check out website http://www.minir1.co.uk/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine mounted in the cradle ready to drop on to the original engine mounts, will fit complete with radiator with removable front but I think if the front ends fixed the rad would have to go in after.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MiniMinus, 29 June 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#2 nrwilliams

nrwilliams

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

Will be watching this one!

Whats the kit price like compared to promotive?

#3 LouisT

LouisT

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

me too, looks like an interesting build, just been reading on lynx-ae's site, looks like they have hit a winner and may be cheaper than the pro-mo kit, will keep an eye on this one

Louis

#4 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Top work and the car looks really clean - liking your exhaust manifold - may I ask where it came from?

Al

#5 flatline

flatline

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

This is awesome...lol

DO you work for them or have you just bought some bit's from them and are going to make the rest yourself?

#6 MiniMinus

MiniMinus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

Top work and the car looks really clean - liking your exhaust manifold - may I ask where it came from?

Al

Hi al

The manifold came from lynx ae as did the engine cradle and diff housing. He is in the final stages of testing and finalising his kit details. I am sure he will be able to provide contents of the kit and cost very soon.

The kit he will be supplying fit really nicely in a standard round nose front. I am fitting it in a minus and it does stick through the bonnet quite a way.

Can't wait to fire it up.

#7 MiniMinus

MiniMinus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

This is awesome...lol

DO you work for them or have you just bought some bit's from them and are going to make the rest yourself?

John at lynx has done work on my car before and I am installing as much of his kit he has ready and the finishing off myself.

Bit of a test dummy really to find any difficulties with the install prior to them selling comprehensive kits.

I am hopefully going out in the test car on Monday.

#8 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

engine mounts look good idea

#9 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the note, could well be something to look into... have a pro mo kit but would quite like a stainless manifold.

Good luck, will be awesome.

A

#10 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

very nice ive been looking into the lynx kit do you mind me asking the cost of the kit?

keep it up
josh

#11 MiniMinus

MiniMinus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Had a good afternoon on the build. Got the gear linkage sorted and the plug made to make the bonnet hump.
Hopefully get started on the wiring tomorrow.

Went over to lynx on Monday for a spin in the test car. Really impressed with the drivability and alot quieter than I expected. There will certainly be enough power to keep me happy. It's certainly proving to be a great alternative to the ever increasing cost of tuned aseries engines.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Something was puzzling me...

Isn't the engine mounted the other way round to the Promotive set up? How come one of these conversions doesn't have 6 reverses? :thumbsup:

#13 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Looks good.

How does this drive the wheels? I know the promotive kit has a chain drive that goes to a modified mini diff, but as ethel says, the engines the other way round on this kit...

Mounting the engine this way round looks better to the eye and could leave room for a turbo too by the looks of things, I know the way the promo kit mounts it leave no room really for any turbo developments.

#14 jonny5

jonny5

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

If you look closely at the Promotive kit, you can see that the Mini Diff is being run with the crown wheel setup similar to inside the Mini Transmission. Therefore, the crown wheel reverses the rotation coming from the engine, and thus in the Promotive case, the engine needs to be turned backwards. This setup looks more like a direct sprocket on the Mini Diff, and therefore the Diff rotates the same direction as the engine sprocket. I like it!

Jonny5

#15 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Something was puzzling me...

Isn't the engine mounted the other way round to the Promotive set up? How come one of these conversions doesn't have 6 reverses? :)

I am pretty sure you will find the pro-mo kit does have 6 reverse gears, How much are you looking at to buy one of these kits? if you dont mind me asking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users