#1 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

~~~~~Please delete this text before posting the topic~~~~~~
Please give your topic a title that quickly describes your problem. Just putting 'Help my Mini doesn't work' is useless to anyone trying to help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Model:austin mayfair
Year:1985
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible):

Any non-standard parts that might be involved with the problem?
which fiesta brakes do i need?
i can get fiesta mk2 brakes are these ok? and what do i need to do
i want to put my mini on to 10s?

Edited by RichardBrown, 02 April 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#2 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

I used MkIs - but I believe MK IIs are fine. Mine cost me ~£70 total some years ago - including buying a set of disc brakes from a later Mini since I was starting out from drums. If your car already has disc brakes - you are half way there! You need your discs turned down to 7.9" (or buy new at that size already) - Metro drive flanges - M10 caliper mounting bolts and Fiesta brake hoses.

#3 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I used MkIs - but I believe MK IIs are fine. Mine cost me ~£70 total some years ago - including buying a set of disc brakes from a later Mini since I was starting out from drums. If your car already has disc brakes - you are half way there! You need your discs turned down to 7.9" (or buy new at that size already) - Metro drive flanges - M10 caliper mounting bolts and Fiesta brake hoses.

so its mk1 or 2 calabers ,, 7.9 discs,, i think il turn them down as mine have never been used so mite aswell,, metro drive flanges,, m10caliper mounting bolts and fiesta hoese?
is this better than the mini ones and cheap?

#4 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

The cost is very much dependent upon how much you can get hold of the parts for & how much of the machining work that you can do yourself. Thanks to the advancing age of the components and the popularity of this conversion, the calipers are much harder to come by than they once were and the caliper carriers seem to be even more so (although I understand that early Ford Ka calipers might be compatible). Even the metro flanges cab be difficult to track down these days. The availability of the parts can therefore make the prices much higher than they were, also you need to consider that the advancing age of the calipers will mean that you may well need to factor in the cost for them to be fully stripped down and rebuilt also. Whilst some people report being able to complete the conversion for around the £70 mark, others fail to be able to do it for less than the cost of the alternative 7.5" cooper s caliper conversion (around the £300 mark). :(

#5 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

If your already on discs another option is the 12" to 10" conversion minispares and minisport do.

£222 or £202 I think the prices are, thats everything to convert to 7.5" discs.

No machining required all bolt on parts

Edited by lrostoke, 02 April 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#6 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

thats outa my finanical reach rite knw and i think i may have soruced a set but not sure,,u say early ford ka ones mite work
what age of ka is it i ask for as il ask my local salvage yards if they have any in stocki have an enginering mate next door he will put my new dics to 7.9
i only got a whole new brake set up for my mini and i realli dont like it on 12s and i got 10s weller wheels for it and knw u see my perdicerment

#7 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Mk2 festa calipers fit, they are the same as mk1 fitment wise. It is the caliper hanger that is the part that makes them fit.
Mk3 festa and ka, the hangers are far too big. The calipers may fit on the early mk1/2 festa hangers but i've not tried yet
You need metro 4 pot flanges, standard metro drive flanges will not be any better than the ones you have.
Using fiesta hoses is one way to connect them to your car, but requires a few mods to secure the length and a new end on the steel/copper brake pipe.
Any brake hose or decent hydraulics company will be able to make you up a custom braided set so you can mount them the same as how standard calipers were mounted.

Edited by charie t, 02 April 2011 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users