Photo
- - - - -

Which Antifreeze - Is Red 'organic Acid Technology' Ok?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Clayton

John Clayton

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

2-3 weeks ago I flushed (with RadFlush) and refilled my 87 Mini with Red OAT antifreeze (it wasn't clear what type of Antifreeze if any was in the Rad before) but then my Dad told me that he never runs older cars on Red Antifreeze as it can rot through the cooling hoses.

I googled it and found the following:

Apparently the OAT antifreezes will also attack conventional silicon gasket sealing compounds, Hylomar and its derivatives, the traditional rubber and fabric based water hoses and so on.
http://www.da7c.co.u..._antifreeze.htm

http://www.lro.com/f...hp?f=18&t=59554
[start with the weblink in the 1st post]

Anyone else got any thoughts on it?

#2 John Clayton

John Clayton

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

P.S. This is the Antifreeze I'm using:
http://www.commaoil....uide/view/6/351

It doesn't say anything on the bottle or in the Technical Data Sheet (downloadable from the above web page) about it not being suitable for older engines. However, it does say that it is "for modern aluminium engines".

When you search on the Comma website for which of their products are suitable for an Austin Mini, it does actually show only this Antifreeze (they sell 3-4 types inc Green/Blue):

Products For Your ROVER GROUP-AUSTIN & MORRIS Mini 1000 (1980-1992) Petrol
http://www.commaoil....de/vrm/6/7358/1

#3 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

Purely from a chemical viewpoint, after reading through those data sheets (I study chemistry at a level), it should be fine. It's not strongly acidic, alcohols are very weak acids.

Found this bit ironic though:

"Conditions to avoid: Heat"

#4 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

Blue is for classic mini's, the rust protection is different in the different colours.

#5 TopGearRules

TopGearRules

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

DONT use OAT coolant; that is specially for alloy/aluminum engines (eg. K series engines). The A series is steel/iron and needs rust protection, s you need to use the Blue/Green coolant. I would advice draining the OAT coolant you have now and replacing it with the proper stuff. Remember to take the used coolant to the dump as it takes like maple sirup and animals will be attracted to it.

Hope this helps, Alex!! :)

#6 John Clayton

John Clayton

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Righto, I've emailed Comma's technical dept (referring them to this thread) so we'll see what the verdict is in due course...

#7 John Clayton

John Clayton

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Initially I didn't hear anything back from Comma so I phoned up and spoke to someone who was covering the desk while the Technical Guru was away. I then got an email back and things went like this:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your enquiry.

There are essentially two different types of coolant under discussion here – one that contains silicate based corrosion inhibitors (G48) and one that contains the more modern OAT based inhibitors (G30). The more modern, OAT based product was not introduced until the mid 1990s and whilst it would more than likely be suitable for most vehicles manufactured before this date it simply wasn’t around when the vehicle in question was manufactured. For this reason we recommend a product based on the older, silicate chemistry which is much more representative of the technology that would have been around at the time. This is a general rule of thumb we apply to all vehicles that are produced before the inception of OAT based coolants except where the manufacturer has issued specific instructions to the contrary (Toyota for example).

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards
[FT]

Dear [FT],

Thanks very much for your advice below. My issue with Comma is as follows. I bought your OAT Antifreeze on the basis of:
a) The fact that its description on the bottle doesn't indicate any issues with older cars i.e. it appears to be entirely suitable for my vehicle, and nothing indicates otherwise
b) I double-checked this with your website and it specifically recommends this Antifreeze for my year of Mini

To now be informed that this is incorrect (having spent several hours flushing the system and filling it with the Antifreeze above) is unacceptable. As such, I would like either of the following:
1) A categorical assurance from Comma that this Antifreeze is NOT going to damage my engine/cooling system during its 5 year life and an undertaking to remedy any damage if this does not prove to be a correct assessment
2) Comma to pay for my cooling system to be drained and refilled with the correct antifreeze, as the goods were mis-advertised as being 'fit for purpose' for my specific car when they are in fact not (and costly consequential damage will be the result i.e. cooling system leaks and even a cyl head gasket failure as a result).

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Regards,
John Clayton

Dear Mr Clayton,

Following on from our conversation yesterday I can confirm that the Mini 1000 (1980 – 1992) actually shows up in two places on our website and has two different recommendations associated with it as a result. This is of course inappropriate and as discussed I will ensure that this is reported to our data supplier so that it can be corrected in future versions.

In this particular instance neither recommendation would be considered incorrect as both are based on information provided to us by the manufacturer. The default recommendation for this vehicle would be for a silicate based product like Xstream G48 for the reasons I described in my previous email however Rover do allow for the use of OAT based coolants in their older vehicles as well hence the recommendation for Xstream G30 for the model listed under ‘ROVER GROUP-AUSTIN & MORRIS’. When listed under ‘MINI incl. MINI ONE’ which is the later BMW owned brand, the recommendation follows BMWs preference for silicate based coolants and is therefore listed as Xstream G48. Since both recommendations appear in our data they would both be covered by our guarantee in the very unlikely event that either product were to cause damage. I must stress that it is very unlikely that either product would cause damage provided they are used in accordance with the instructions. Both the silicate and OAT products in our range must pass similar industry standard tests for corrosion and compatibility.

That being the case it should not be necessary to drain and refill your cooling system with a different product as Xstream G30 is endorsed by Rover for this vehicle and neither would I expect this product to cause any damage whilst in use. I have enclosed an electronic copy of our guarantee for your information as this is not yet displayed on our website (it will be soon!). It is however included in the front of our printed guide which is distributed to over 13000 workshops and motor factors annually so its certainly no secret!

Please accept my apologies for the confusion and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Kind Regards

[KR]

Technical Advisor

Comma Oil & Chemicals Ltd

THE COMMA GUARANTEE
Comma hereby undertakes and GUARANTEES:
● that all relevant Comma products will meet specification as claimed or as agreed in writing;
● that all relevant Comma products as claimed or as agreed in writing will be compatible with engine, braking, gearbox or cooling systems
in vehicles, as defined in the Regulation;
● that all relevant Comma products as claimed or as agreed in writing will be compatible with 3 way catalytic converters or Diesel
Particulate filters if fitted to a vehicle as defined in the Regulation.
Conditions of the Guarantee
This GUARANTEE is conditional upon the strict usage of the Comma products being in accordance with:
1) The recommendations as listed in any of the *Comma Application Guides (listed below); and
2) The vehicle being serviced in line with the manufacturer’s recommended service intervals.
3) The Comma quality statement is only applicable for use in the UK.
This GUARANTEE does not affect the purchaser’s statutory rights.
* Comma Application Guides covered by the Guarantee
Comma Workshop Application guide & Catalogue – 2011 edition
Comma Retail Application guide & Catalogue – 2011 edition
Comma’s Application guide found at www.commaoil.com
MAM Software’s Autocat & Autocat+
Activant’s Mastercat & Mastercat Online
Allicat & Allicat Online
Planet Application Guide 2011 edition
DriveTec Application Guide 2011 edition
How to claim under the Guarantee
1. Upon discovery of the damage (but not later than 21 days from the date the damage occurred) call Comma’s Customer Services Manager
on 01474 564311.
2. Allow a Comma representative and a mutually appointed assessor/engineer to examine the vehicle and maintenance records (if
available) to determine the extent of the damage. Proof of purchase will be required to confirm that the Comma product covered by this
guarantee was in use.
3. Allow a Comma representative to obtain a relevant engine oil, transmission oil, coolant or brake fluid sample for analysis at no cost to you
to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.
4. A full report, with the outcome, will be sent back to you within a timely manner.
This guarantee excludes:
● Comma products used in equipment mechanically deficient as a result of abnormal operation, negligence, abuse, damage from an
accident: or equipment modification outside of the OEM original specification.
● Comma products that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorised for use by Comma.
● Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Comma products.
● Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear and tear.
● Any claim which is not proved, supported or verified by a mutually appointed assessor/engineer that damage to an engine, braking,
gearbox or coolant system has been caused by reasons of the Comma product not meeting the specification claimed or agreed.

Before sending this to me, KR kindly phoned and explained that Rover had disseminated a technical bulletin stating that OAT Antifreeze (Red) IS OK for use in the Mini.

All in all, I was very impressed with Comma for tieing this up relatively quickly -and knowledgeably. Service like this is not as common as one might hope nowadays, and is commendable.

Edited by John Clayton, 14 April 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

The MPi cars left the factory with the 'red' coolant :lol:

#9 Lubeboy

Lubeboy

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

would not worry so much... silica based coolant protect by laying down a layer of silica to protect surface, so you get metal protected... OAT technology is more chemical in nature and does not lay down a film, but simply protects exposed potential metal areas... OAT technology is better than silica, hence all the "extended life coolants" use OATS...

The one and only problem you might see would be... if you had used silica for a long period, you might get some build up around connections... overtime using OAT you will remove that layer and hence might get some leakage...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users