#17 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Local Club: Outcast Car Club

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:45 AM

its 05756 so I either think it has been wound back, speedo replaced or most likely, gone round the clock :)
yep, there is quite a bit of work to do mate. Getting it running. Battery was dead, wires all over the place, dodgy fitted front radiator. So going to get it safe and running first before I start on the body work.

Cheers
JK

#18 MigliaMayhem

MigliaMayhem

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: North East Mini Club

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

its 05756 so I either think it has been wound back, speedo replaced or most likely, gone round the clock :)
yep, there is quite a bit of work to do mate. Getting it running. Battery was dead, wires all over the place, dodgy fitted front radiator. So going to get it safe and running first before I start on the body work.

Cheers
JK

I'd go the reverse, get it strripped and the bodywork sorted, then move on to the electrics and mechanicals (so much easier to get the shell in good fettle without subframes, engines etc getting in the way). OR keep the engine for those days/nights when it is crappy outside and the body repairs have to wait.

Edited by MigliaMayhem, 10 April 2011 - 02:33 PM.

#19 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Cheers
JK

I'd go the reverse, get it strripped and the bodywork sorted, then move on to the electrics and mechanicals (so much easier to get the shell in good fettle without subframes, engines etc getting in the way). OR keep the engine for those days/nights when it is crappy outside and the body repairs have to wait.

I have a garage so it's ok :)

#20 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:06 PM

yay, another bag of worms has been opened. Engine number doesn't match log book (which was never sent off by the guy I bought it from, so need to call DVLA to sort it) and it turns out the engine is from a clubman saloon! At least the commission number and chassis number match! lol

Anyway, its not in the garage yet as we need to tidy it out a lot, but heres a few pics of this evenings work.

Radiator pics x 3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Front end stripped out and rub down began, ready to prime and sell (anyone interested in one piece fibreglass front let me know )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rad out, air filter off, ready to get stuck in!!

Posted Image

Tools strewn everywhere, and my other mini >_<

Posted Image

Popped back on as it's getting dark!!

Posted Image

No doubt some more tomorrow!! :w00t:

#21 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

No pics with this update, but before I get her into the garage and fully stripped, I was intrigued to know if she would fire up or not. The seller insisted she did but couldn't prove it.
So the battery had to be charged and all the wiring tested, because I'd rather not burn the car down yet lol!!! Everything seemed ok, except the negative terminal on the coil was reading +ve. Umm, helps if the coil etc isn't all wired in backwards.
Many fuses identified, wiring known to not be working etc.
Working - Hazards and wipers and wiper spray!!!
Very little else was wired in properly, not even the battery. Battery seemed to be fine, but still wouldn't fire, even with a jump start. Battery is fine, just poor wiring to ignition.
That needs looking at, as well as a lot else. But jump started direct at ignition in engine bay, and no choke, no air filter, no fuel and no rad and she (be it a little chokingly) fired up and ran!!!
Didn't leave on for long, to prevent any damage!!
All in all a decent days efforts.
Plans for the next few weeks are to get her in the garage, fully stripped of doors, seats glass if possible etc etc. Then the grinding begins followed by £££s to be spent on rust proofing!! Then it'll be into the big spending.

Can't accellerate through this project, as I'm going to uni in september so my funds (yes its all paid for by me, much like the white mini) will be quite restricted, but when I get cash and time, I'll keep you all posted :)))

Anyway, Look out for me tomorrow at Lincoln Big Mini day any of you who are going, I'll be in the white mini and with Bomber County Minis!!

Posted Image

Come over and have a chat!! The names John, but call me JK :)

Cheers all,
Over and out for now!

JK

#22 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

Love the estate, good to see the numbers of them rising on TMF :P

#23 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

I was massively glad to see the number rise to one on my own drive :) lol. But yes, a couple of projects in the early stages (like mine) are on here, and I am following them for ideas, as no doubt I'll finish after them with uni and all :P

#24 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is the worst of the wiper arm holes! So not bad!
Posted Image

In the garage :)
Posted Image

Thought I'd get the pics up first. As you can see, got her in the garage yesterday after the parents kindly tidied it out whilst I was at work, now space to get both my minis in, once we have concreted another ramp up to the door :)
I robbed the wiper gear boxes from this for my other mini as they had died on me :thumbsup: but I doubt I'll be needing wipers for a while. All seemed in good order and came out no problem.
Got the front end brackets off and just taken some shots of underneath, which on the whole, subbys aren't toooo bad etc etc.
But yer, a pic speaks a thousand words.
Halfords shopping spree today for rustproof stuff, so will no doubt have more pics later.

Cheers
JK

#25 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Plenty of Pics of today torture, I mean mini resto! lol.

Passenger sill joins just behind A panel
Posted Image
Looks tidy inside the passenger wheel arch!
Posted Image
Up on axle stands, grinding has begun, wheels off, front shockers off
Posted Image
One of many holes, most of are where past 'repairs' or bodge welding has taken place, other than that, wheel arches, engine and bulk head are pretty dam solid :)
Posted Image
Lots of holes, easy enough to fix, if they weren't all under the cross member!! ahhhhhh
Posted Image
Rear drivers arch
Posted Image
New rear valence, orr some serious repair work!!!
Posted Image
Subbys not tooooo bad, and petrol tank is surface rust, coming outs for welding close by, and refurb anyhow
Posted Image
Pass side rear arch
Posted Image
Plenty of 'drainage' :P
Posted Image
Seen worse sill on MOT passes so not bad
Posted Image
Doesn't look too bad in this pic! It is, needless to say this floor quarter will be replaced lol
Posted Image
Getting bare
Posted Image

Lots of pics, sorry, well ,at least it'll be easy to track the progress ;)
Look forward to you comments suggestions etc. Hope to get rear shocks and drums off tomorrow, as well as finishing the new garage concrete ramp so I can have both minis in the garage ;)
Happy Easter :)

JK

#26 MigliaMayhem

MigliaMayhem

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

Great to see you getting stuck in, I'd say go for the new rear valance (mini machine) they pre-weld all the captive nuts etc in place as the overs doin't include them. (under £20.00).

I'd give my right arm for your garage, I'm stuck in a back yard until such time I am able to move it to the club workshop.

#27 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Just got the seatbelts out! Need metal now for holes, and panels!! Whole front end, some sills, some floor panels, rear valence now, as it seems to be packed with filler, and where it isn't filler, it is holes. And M Machine it would be, heard nothing but good stuff about them :)
I'm going to Himley aswell, so will hopefully go bankrupt on parts there ;)
Progress will probably be slower than the average project, but it'll get there ;) And cheers, having the garage makes it a lot easier! All weather working, and now the ramp upto the second half is complete, so will get both minis in.
I need to sell the one piece clubman front, fibreglass, gonna go cheap, just need it out the way!!

Cheers
JK

#28 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Found this on ebay, doesn't seem to be in interest in it, reckon it's worth a bid ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1156

#29 MigliaMayhem

MigliaMayhem

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Found this on ebay, doesn't seem to be in interest in it, reckon it's worth a bid ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1156

One word "NO"

1st off is that it is for a saloon

2nd a modifed hadrian item from M Macine is less than £20.00 new and is adapted to fit like a glove.

#30 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

When you put it like that!! lol
Makes sense. Do it properly else it'll need doing again!!
M Machine are gonna love me soon! lol

JK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users