#1 Andykettle

Andykettle

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 MINIS!

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Anyone know where i can get a seatbelt stitched up? :gimme: Bought some off ebay that were supposed to be in good condition but one of the sill mountings and part of the belt has been cut with an angle grinder! :nugget: Got a new bracket just need somewhere that can stich it up. I live in loughborough (leicestershire area) prefer somewhere local but i suppose i could post it to somone.
Any help would be great.
Andy :teehee:

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

To be honest I would get in touch with the guy who sold them to you and ask for a refund. I would not risk repairing the damaged webbing. Remember, someones life could depend on that belt and a stitched repair may just not be good enough.

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

im going to agree with matt get your money back, seat belts are safety so you dont want to compramise there

#4 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

dont mess. if its torn then get rid

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

I believe it's actually illegal to repair a seatbelt and the unit must be completely replaced. Complain direct to E-bay, he's selling dangerous items which are unfit for use.

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

trouble with seatbelts and used seatbelts is you dont know whats happened to them in the past, they should be replaced after an accident etc because it changes the charastics of the webbing when they have been strained

dave

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:56 AM

Your laws will be different than ours. In the U.S. it is legal to re-web seat belts (professionally) and this is routinely done for classic cars where originality (and safety) are important.

On what I assume is a fairly late model car I'd agree that getting your money back and buying new belts is a safer and better option.

#8 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:58 AM

And.........

If they were to be repaired (if it were legal) the stitching aint gonna hit the same holes as the original stitching, that means that you have a repaired seatbelt that has hundreds of little perforations -

'Tear along the dotted line' :erm:

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

I agree about the stitching. The only method I know of that's acceptable over here is to completely replace the old webbing with new when a seat belt is reconditioned. They don't re-stitch an old belt.

#10 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

yeah complain to ebay, i did the same thing not long ago when someone advertised something as one colour but when i recveived it it had bits of another colour splashed all over it, told him i'd report him for false advertising and i got my money back!!

#11 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

I agree about the stitching. The only method I know of that's acceptable over here is to completely replace the old webbing with new when a seat belt is reconditioned. They don't re-stitch an old belt.

Yep, I have seen tensile test results from re-stitched webbing and believe me, the breaking strength drops alot!

I would think that it would not be cost effective anyway to have a repair to be honest (disregarding all the other issues).

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:36 PM

Well I do know of one company who advertise re-manufactured classic seatbelts over-here. Whether they re-use some of the steel parts I can't say but I do know that with any replacement belt I've ever bought (always Securon) the instructions state that it's illegal to repair the webbing or mechanism of a seatbelt. So all you'd be able to re-use would be the fixed mounting points which would seem a little pointless ( :wub: ) to me.

Since a new belt is between £30 and £40 from Securon, it's foolish not to replace them.

#13 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

i agree with everyone saying to get a refund.

if it helps, i think i have a full set of grey belts spare in the garage?

#14 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

Again, over here, it is legal to reuse the locking mechanism as long as it hasn't required repair (like Dan said).

I've got the period correct Kangol magnetic latch belts in my Mk1. I believe the only factory belts available at that time were the Kangols or the silver webbed Britax belts. I wanted to keep my seat belts. The modern replacements simply wouldn't look right in my car. I had about as much chance of finding NOS Kangols as I did finding rocking horse poo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users