#1 DavesBluey

DavesBluey

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

I'm about to start rubbing down my clubby estate to be sprayed. I have someone lined up for the respray but i need the car to be prepped ready for paint. At the moment the pintwork is well faded as its been sitting around for the last 4 years! I'm all new to bodywork and need to have the car from sitting around faded paint to ready to spray body colour, but don't have a clue. Help!!

Question is what sandpaper or products should i use? Wet & dry? What grit at what stage etc. I,m not going to bare metal it just rub it all back sort the rust out and prime it.

So next question, what primer do i use, bearing in mind i will be doing this myself in a big marquee in the garden. Then what type and grit sandpaper should i use for the primer rub down??

Cheers.

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

primer use a 2k one, or get the painter ro prime it as for sanding it down 320 gives the primer a key and 500 on the primer will knock it down and take out inperfections

dave

#3 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

2k primer would be the best, but given where you are spraying i would say it is going to be unlikely you have proper breathing equipment for spraying 2k.
so good old rattle cans of primer will do the job.

Flatting back, as above 320 would do, given it sould like you might not prime the whole car, 400 wet and dry, used with soapy warm water and plenty of it will do the trick, get a wiper blade and when you have runbbed a section down wipe it withthe wiperblade to remove excess water etc and this will let you see that you have not missed any bits, the whle surface should look smooth and dull,
any shiny bits will not let the paint stick properly and you will end up with flaky paint down the line.

With wet and dry, this higher the number the finer it is.

I use 600 on primer, but it is down to personal preferance, but dont go too smooth eother as this will give adhesion problems to the top coat of paint

given the mini panels are not that big, divide the panels into sections and work on one section until it is completely done then move to the next.

Keep dipping the sanding block into the soapy water as this carries off the residue and paint you sand off. Fairy liquid does a decent job here.

Have a look on www.frost.co.uk clicky for por 15 metal ready, this is great for protecting your sections of metal you have repaired/exposed due to rust.

cheers
shaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users