#1 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

hi all
what i would like to know is how good is filler primer i.e. what size blemishes can it fill, also are there any prefered brands or is somewhere like halfords good enough??
also do you just flat it as usual with wet and dry to acheive the best results?

cheers

#2 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

You use filler primer to take out very very minor imperfections, but you can build it up by applying several layers although not a great idea as it will shrink.

You flat it as you would any primer, with wet and dry paper.

A little tip to help you get nice flat panels is go to b + q and get a hand sander from the builders section, this is used for sanding plaster and is about 12 inches long with a comfy grip and clips at each end to attach lengths of sandpaper.

With the longer surface you will get smoother more straight finish as a sanding block can dip in and out of ripples in the body.

Fill the panels and using touch, i.e. run your fingers over the panels to feel for minor blemishes, try using filler to get these near perfect as possible, then something like top stop, which is a super fine 2 part filler/stopper, so should not shrink.

this should leave you with an almost perfect finish if done correctly, after that minor sanding scratches or tiny dimples can be taken care off with filler primer.

PPG are a good make but to be honest at the filler primer level it is not going to make that much difference as they will generally do the same thing, basically, buy the best you can afford comfortably, same goes for all the paint products.

#3 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Try and get your repairs around 98% right, applying several layers of filler primer will only cause sink age around the repair, you might not be able to see this for a day or so but after a few days you will no doubt see your repairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users