74 replies to this topic

#16 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

dont take this the wrong way, but im glad you got the new laser cut engine mountings made up, purely because the box section frame looked a bit unsafe. the welding on it did not look so great and it was a little agriculturally engineered.

are you not supporting the rear of the engine? or is that yet to come. its looking great now!

#17 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

most of it trail and error as its abit different to most all mounting will be used its just trying to sort chain issues first as i am limited by space and the angle of the dangle

#18 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

yeah it does look like the chain will rub/damage the casing around the gear change shaft. i think your only way to change that is either alter the position of the engine, or alter the position of the diff.

#19 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

i cant do either so the plan is to remove water pump for electric job and put a jockey sprocket in and change the run of chain

#20 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

how will you make up the jockey sprocket? if its spring loaded to act as a chain tensioner, it could still hit the casing when the diff spins faster than the engine output shaft and puts all the tension on the lower side of the chain.

#21 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

how will you make up the jockey sprocket? if its spring loaded to act as a chain tensioner, it could still hit the casing when the diff spins faster than the engine output shaft and puts all the tension on the lower side of the chain.

what would make you say that its free wheeling has to be same speed and is going to be fixed i had a sprocket centre drill out with sealed bearing in middle and seperate tentioner soon see if works lol

#22 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

sorry i dont understand what you mean in the first bit of your reply about freewheeling. what im saying is, that if the sprocket is spring loaded it can let the chain move, and if the tension of the chain is moved from the top of the chain when the engine is driving the car, then when the car is driving the engine (engine braking as an example) then the tension of the chain on the lower side will push the tensioner down and allow the chain to rub the casing.

however since you have said it will be a fixed sprocket then it should be fine, although you might want to mount it onto a slotted hole so that you can move it slightly to tension the chain accurately and allow for chain stretch over time.

#23 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

however since you have said it will be a fixed sprocket then it should be fine, although you might want to mount it onto a slotted hole so that you can move it slightly to tension the chain accurately and allow for chain stretch over time.
[/quote]
yeah you got it that was one idea i did think about as it would still be solidly fix but adjustable dont wish to give to much away lol want to see what works first ive found lots that dont but its all learning though the other was to make centre of sprocket like a cam {snail shell} but slot would be simple i like simple less to go wrong the big worry that i am concerned about is with the idea i have i will have to remove waterpump for the run of chain but this will allow me to put engine more over drive for better weight balance but by removing pump and blanking it off i will have to use electric pump which has its good and bad points was looking at FORD-FOCUS-RS-12V-WATER-PUMP- but still bit unsure

#24 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

done some more on new frame sorted now just putting it all together now sorted tenstioner just got to get some bearing for that now will post more pics very soon

Edited by miniblade81, 20 July 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#25 izzy

izzy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

wow nice work, i would really love to do something like this once i get enough experience.

#26 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

just small update more pics soon just noticed i have a donut gone so ill change it
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

well got bit more done not a lot though started to make loom up to engine very slow job i hate wires sorted few issues with tenstioner but found other issues hopefully there will be bit more progress next few weeks gonna do bit more will post pics later

#28 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

i have finally been in garage after a big lay off lol i have lots of part i have collect though out december i have changed lots of the ideas i have had and i think {hope} that it will all work , i am hoping to get in the garage the weekend and i will be updating too

#29 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

http://westfield-wor...-to-weight.html has anyone ever used this for ref lol anything over 280hp with a weight of 500 kilos and a driver that is 12 stone have a look at results lol

#30 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

work done today and few bits ive got
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image