#1 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:38 AM

Its always been said that shafts for drum brakes are different to the ones for disc brakes, but some people say you can interchange them.

Has anyone ever compared the two types? I am missing a shaft from a disc setup but have 2 sets of drum shafts, but without the missing shaft to compare against, I don't know if they will be the same.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

IRC, the drum shafts are slightly skinnier, but the splines on the outer end are the same... as for the inner that obviously depends on the joint into the Gearbox.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

No, the only difference between the actual shafts is the inner coupling type. The reason that there's disc, non disc and Cooper S shafts listed is that is you buy any of these shafts they come built up with the joints, which obviously are different for disc and drum applications. If you buy the bare shaft, there's only two types listed with part numbers. 27H4775 / 27H4776 for inboard rubber coupling or Hardy Spicer types (which share the same spline) or MS1246 / MS1247 for pot joint types.

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

So other than possible thickness differences, there is no difference between disk and drum shafts, the splines are the same for both at each end?

If thats the case I don't need to buy a new one as I can just use the drum set right? (obviusly I shal change the outer CV)

#5 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

I'm sure there is a difference on the outer end. I thought there were different nuts for drums and discs? And the shafts have different holes for the split pins.

#6 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:06 PM

So other than possible thickness differences, there is no difference between disk and drum shafts, the splines are the same for both at each end?

If thats the case I don't need to buy a new one as I can just use the drum set right? (obviusly I shal change the outer CV)

Duh....just re-read your post ! :tongue:

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

Yes both the large and small CV joints use the same spline. I have my old drum shafts in my car now. So long as you are still using the same inner joints then the shafts are fine.

The nut and split pins and everything are fitted to the CV joint, not the driveshaft.

#8 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

correct two types of shaft in terms of the old h/s system and the pot joint system, in basic terms some of the low powered cars evan with discs had skinny driveshafts, but the fat ones are fine, also remember two differant sized pot joints too

dave

#9 hb63

hb63

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hi,
does anyone know up to which power the drum brakes shafts can be used?

Harald

#10 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

depends on the drum shafts but its how much twist u get is the problem but goto be 75bhp without issue

dave

#11 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

good old search, knew id find the answer some where on here.

after a bit of a brake falier, i was thinking of fitting some disks to the front of my Elf, i've already got a spare set of disk hubs with cv's, and was thinking of using the mini spares 12" to 10" conversion clicky but was unsure if the rubber coupling /drum drive shafts would fit the disk type cv joint.

seems all will be ok going by the above posts

Si

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users