#1 Minisport7

Minisport7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

Just curious as to whether or not Mini's (not modified) like V-Power, or in fact prefer ordinary unleaded.

Any input appreciated! :techsupport:

#2 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

I did an experiment on my Matilda (Mpi engine) over the period of a few months.

The only difference between posh fuel & bog standard is the resultant weight of my wallet.

#3 andymini12

andymini12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

I think all it is, is high octane petrol so yes it should make minis go better. i know it worked on my dads van lol, he put a full tank in ( this is when fuel was a little cheaper lol ) and it did make it go better and still was going better when he started putting normal deisel in it again.

#4 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

It'll make no differance. Higher octane lets you run more compression, ignition advance or boost (if you have a turbo). The only one that can therefore be changed to take advantage is the ignition advance.

If you have a carb'd engine with clockwork ignition, there is no way for your engine to compensate. And I don't think the Spi or Mpi have knock sensors so cannot advance the ignition to compensate either.

So save your money.

#5 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

I always run the higher octane fuel in anything i have, this is because when i was racing motocross i started to run cheaper fuel and after 10 hours of use i changed the piston, with the cheaper fuel the piston was starting to break apart and the ring had totally lost its seal, with the higher octane fuel the bike was much more responsive and the piston never started to break apart and i only once had a ring that wasnt sealed properly when i ripped it apart plus everything was alot cleaner, with the cheaper fuel the piston would be really chared on the top but with the higher octane fuel it was alot cleaner, all this means i could run on a piston and ring for longer with the more expensive fuel plus it was more responsive off the bottom end so win win for me and thats why i use nothing else

#6 david_vennard

david_vennard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Minis NI

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

it does make a difference to performance, but "well i think" to only more powerful cars.

as my dad has a 1969 rover v8 and with bp ultimate there is no pinking under hard acceleration

but i think with a mini such as a 998 i dont think it wont make a difference

and have you seen how much petrol is bp normal unleaded 137.9

#7 1275_JEM_3500

1275_JEM_3500

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

sorry to go off topic but 137.9!?! 146 is the cheap fuel near me! :shifty:

#8 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I agree with Wil H here. I don't think it makes diddly squat difference. Injected minis can't detect any difference, and i think carbed minis need to be set up with using high octane fuel in mind to work correctly

#9 Andywade

Andywade

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

I used to chuck a tank of Ultimate in once a month to give the engine and fuel system a clean - the extra money is for the additives they put in I don't know if it actually worked or not. but never had any engine troubles in any of my cars using the" once a month as a treat method"

#10 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

sorry to go off topic but 137.9!?! 146 is the cheap fuel near me! :genius:

:) 133.9 round here :shifty:

#11 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

It won't make a difference in terms of your engine being able to run more advance because a Mini does not have this ability but the fuel will burn more cleanly and will keep the intake system cleaner so if you can afford it then its well worth using it.

#12 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

I dunno why... but i always think the more expensive one will be better for my engine...

...Although I don't put it in much....

I don't know whether it makes a difference or not...

#13 Robert

Robert

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

I ran my new engine on V-power while I was running it in. I've now swapped over to "normal".

I've not noticed any significant difference. I had a very small improvement in fuel consumption with V-power, but not enough to justify the extra cost.

#14 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

I had to run the high-octane fuel in my 1098 as it kept blowing head gaskets and also it was running on the high octane fuel stopped both things from happening

YetI

#15 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

i always fill up with v-power due to been told that (no offence) bp petrol is dirty from the one by me anyways, how true i dnt know but i dnt have a problem with the shell stuff only the price of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users