21 replies to this topic

#16 RobFox

RobFox

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

If they introduce this then they should also bring in a similar measure for old people. I have seen more dangerous driving resulting from an old man or woman driving 10mph under the speed limit, annoying other people leading to them doing a dangerous action to overtake/get passed. Also from my experience a lot of old people seem oblivious/unaware of their surroundings and will just change lane in front of you with no indication or warning :s.

Anyhow onto the topic;

1) When I first passed my test I drove loads at night time (up till 2/3am most days). I found the roads much easier to drive on than in the day time as there is less traffic/pedestrians to worry about. This allowed me to gain, not only night time driving experience, but also experience on other roads I hadn't been on before. By restricting the ability to drive at night it means that when people are allowed to drive then they will most likely be more nervous as the "supposed increased risk".

2) As far as motorway driving is concerned, they should make it a part of your test or learning to make it compulsory to do some motorway driving. I know a few people who when passed where scared of going onto the motorway. By restricting the time before you can go on the motorway you will only build up nervousness in relation to motorway driving, which is never good.

3) As far as taking another test is concerned, I think there should be tests around the ages of 17(obv), 35 and 60. This means that it can train older drivers to learn newer techniques and keep them "up to scratch".

4) The fact that the government is even considering banning who you can have in your car is an outrage. What right does the government have to say who I can have in my car or even my boat or house etc...? Yeah I understand that you are more risky etc, but at the end of the day everything is a calculated risk, even eating processed meat for example.
"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

5) Finally how would they realistically enforce all of these laws? People will still drive at night, drive on the motorway and drive with their friends. Yes you could fine them etc, but surely the police have better things to be doing than seeing if your passenger is under 20(or w.e).

//rant

#17 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

I agree there needs to be something done about old people! There are still people on the roads who were given a licence in the forces and have never taken a test, furthermore, traffic levels and the speed of traffic has increased loads over the past 30 years, and some old people struggle to react with this! Old people going the wrong way down the motorway is not uncommon

#18 mini_legend

mini_legend

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Local Club: Outcast Car Club

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

statistically new drivers dont use a motorway until they have been on the road a year anyway...

Been driving since October, been on motorways numerous times, first with friends (without licences) and my own, and lastly my mum n dad lol

JK

#19 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

statistically new drivers dont use a motorway until they have been on the road a year anyway...

Been driving since October, been on motorways numerous times, first with friends (without licences) and my own, and lastly my mum n dad lol

JK

only a statistic, calm down :thumbsup:

the best option would be to make it compulsory to drive in certain conditions, like germany.
im sure its a minimum of 9months, and you have to drive on the autobahn, at night, in the rain/snow/dark etc.

#20 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

More young driver rubbish

really drives me mad.

il leave it there before i go on a massive rant

#21 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

unfortuantly for young drivers its the minority that lets em down. the ones who wont/cant pay high insurance fees, buy + maintain a car. then theres the idiots who show off to mates, the lack of general awareness or concept of 'other people' on the road and overall lack of experience.

rules will always get stricter they wont make it any easier for younger drivers

#22 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

no offence, yous are complaining a bit too much about this, over hear in northern ireland when we pass our test we are restricted to 45 any where and we arent allowed on motorways at all, the driving in the dark, lets face it, whos going to obey that 1 and no one will obey the pasengers one either, you's dont have R plates so how are yous meant to be found out?

Edited by Mini Mad Drakeley, 24 May 2011 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users