297 replies to this topic

#1 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

I bought my 71' Clubman Estate (Toad) in 2007 and have enjoyed four years of ownership the good and the bad. I always intended to do a rebuild at some point when I had a little more cash to play with but certain events have caused me to rethink the situation.

This is how it looked when I first got the car:

2da0ghy.jpg

Then it looked like this:

4tltep.jpg

And finally before the accident it looked like this, I was pretty much happy with the way it was just wanted to put the rest of the fake wood trim on it:

fu3y12.jpg

I'm not a suspicious person but this happened on the Friday before the London to Brighton weekend which happened to be Friday the 13th, I was involved in my first accident.

104j4mo.jpg

I guess you are wanting to know how this happened, I know I would want to.

I'll start by saying nobody was hurt in the accident.
I was travelling up to Kingston from Worthing on the Friday as my girlfriend was having a party to celebrate her 21st, the plan was to stay up there and travel back on the Sunday and join the convoy to Brighton on my way back.
Anyway I was going around a blind sweeping bend checking my mirrors and then a quick turn of the head, the rear view mirror in an estate is rubbish and after two years ride a scooter I have got use to turning my head, what they call a 'life saver', YEAH RIGHT.
When I looked around a van was at a complete stand still just after the corner, I don't know how fast I was going by the time I hit the van but I was going 50 and managed to slow down a lot before hitting him. My car must have taken all the impact seeing as the van had the smallest dent in the bumper.

Now this is where it gets kind of freaky. I phoned my dad so that I could get my insurance details and he came and gave me a tow to a friends house who happened to live not that far away, where we would leave the car for a couple of days before towing it home. We pulled up at this house and looked at the sat nav and the address was 13 Friday Street.
What a kick in the balls that was.

http://maps.google.c... ...l=en&tab=wl

33yrfwz.jpg

Hopefully the project will be moving pretty fast, as my dad wants to get his Triumph Vitesse back in the garage and finally finish it after sitting doing nothing for years.

Liam.

Edited by woodenman23, 26 April 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#2 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

ahh no mate! im gutted for you! you gone through the insurance? or you not claiming and paying out for the reapairs yourself?

#3 norris2002

norris2002

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

This makes me sad. But does convince me that I want yellow lights (or at least yellow square fogs) on mine when I pull my finger out and get it on the road. and a roof rack.

What is your plan for the re-build? Like Mr. Valerie said, will you be going through insurance? I am daunted by some of the welding that is needed on mine, but I feel a new front would not be too difficult. no rust to deal with, and everything should reasonable line up.

#4 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

The view of the insurance company is that I'm the one in the wrong because I was the car behind, so I have to dig into my own pocket to pay for it.
Luckily the other party haven't made a claim yet either so my premium hasn't been affected that much.

"What is your plan for the re-build?"

I think I'm going to go for the same kind of look, modern-retro, undecided about colour.

Today I started the strip down, got to say that its a very tidy car for a its age, one of the previous owners have done one or two repairs which don't look to good but apart form that there isn't that much rust. Fingers crossed I don't find to much more when I start digging deeper.

I will upload Pic's later.

Liam.

#5 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Removed the rear window channels to find it to be very tidy:

Posted Image

Same with the spare wheel well:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm thinking of recreating the dash, Its not to every ones taste but it comes from the same era of the car and goes well with my theme.

Posted Image

#6 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

What a shame..........I hope you restore her..............as all clubman front wings and paner are made new from BMHT.... :withstupid:

#7 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:17 AM

Little update, panels and other parts on order.
Yesterday I stripped a few more parts from the car and started to remove some of the panels.

Today as I can't really do that much up front I will be removing the rear subframe to do a complete rebuild.

Liam

#8 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Looks like its in pretty good condition, especially concidering it's age. My mayfairs 11 years younger but 37 times rustier than your mini.

I vote keep the dash, it looks ace. Very similar to a pair of curtains my gran had! Lol

#9 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

How has the lower bulkhead stood up to the shunt? Real shame to see, but glad your diving in a giving toad the love deserved :)

#10 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

such a shame fella :) are you going to do what we discussed in our pm's a few weeks/months back? also have u got the wings and stuff? i have a spare wing (think its passengers but will check) and the lower half of the front end for sale if ur interested.

#11 hopper

hopper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

love the look of it before the front end modification,really liking the yellow lights, hope all goes well rebuilding it

#12 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

How has the lower bulkhead stood up to the shunt? Real shame to see, but glad your diving in a giving toad the love deserved :thumbsup:

I have already had a look and subframe and bulkhead are fine.

such a shame fella :D are you going to do what we discussed in our pm's a few weeks/months back? also have u got the wings and stuff? i have a spare wing (think its passengers but will check) and the lower half of the front end for sale if ur interested.

Thanks for the offer. I would have taken the panels if I hadn't already placed an order, which happened to arrive today :D
I can't remember exactly what it was I said I was going to do but I'm not touching the engine for the moment.
At the moment I'm putting it back to how I had it before but a little different, the biggest difference will be the paint, if I could just make my mind up what to go for, still considering to keep it the original colour.

Little update striped the rear subframe and fuel tank yesterday. The subframe was in surprisingly good condition, the only horrors that I found were two holes in the heel board.

Will post pic's later this evening of progress from yesterday and today.

Edited by woodenman23, 27 May 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#13 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'll send u the pm chats when I get in from college :D atleast now though u can find Amy hidden horrors that you probably wouldn't have know where there till its too late :D what colour you going for this time?

#14 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Didn't get as much done today as I originally hoped, almost finished cleaning the rear subframe up. Just wasn't feeling it today but there is always tomorrow.
Here is some pictures, yet to upload photos from today to my computer, might do it later.

Posted Image

Before It was cleaned up.

Posted Image

I also went to pick this up yesterday, going to use it as my daily run about.
It's a 1989 mini flame. The car had been sat in this guys garage for 10 years untouched, last taxed in 2000, and I'm only the second owner of the car. The guy I bought it from was telling me how he use to rally a Riley Elf in the 60's and did a bit of leisure rallying in this car hence the stickers and being all kitted out.
Really interesting man, he was a technical illustrator and did some work for the Haynes manuals and has also written a few books on how to draw cars and I do believe one on the Monte Carlo Rally.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by woodenman23, 27 May 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#15 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

There has been no progress to the estate, as I have spent all my time trying to get the red Flame ready for a MOT.
I think I'm just about there, after replacing almost everything rubber on the car, new master cylinder, exhaust and a load of other parts. It's taken a lot longer than first thought.
One thing I'm not too sure about is the yellow sticker across the windscreen would this be a MOT failure? (Pic in previous post).

Liam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users