297 replies to this topic

#31 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

I love your clubby, great to see it coming back together. And that you didn't stick a round nose on it! The wheels and wood are great.

#32 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Also I have been meaning to ask for some time if there is meant to be bump on the underside of the top dash rail? There are two of these lumps at the same place at each end of the top dash rail.
This is on my 71' clubman estate, and takes the padded dash rail with four studs, if that helps?

Posted Image

Liam

#33 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

nope, they aren't meant to be there. somebody could have bent it when they put a dashboard in or something similiar. just bend it back into shape (Y)

cars looks awesome! keep going

Ben

#34 Mart!

Mart!

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Local Club: www.MainlyMinisMontreal.com

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Also I have been meaning to ask for some time if there is meant to be bump on the underside of the top dash rail? There are two of these lumps at the same place at each end of the top dash rail.
This is on my 71' clubman estate, and takes the padded dash rail with four studs, if that helps?

Posted Image

Liam

mine was also like that, and i'm pretty sure no aftermarket dash was ever installed in it. possibly bent to be able to use a tool to screw the padded top part...

good luck with the build, its looking great so far (and was looking great before the crash).

i think mine was originally the same colour as yours. you should paint the trim pieces that surrounds the fake wood black, or get them anodized black, i believe they're aluminum...
cheers

#35 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

mine was also like that, and i'm pretty sure no aftermarket dash was ever installed in it. possibly bent to be able to use a tool to screw the padded top part...

good luck with the build, its looking great so far (and was looking great before the crash).

i think mine was originally the same colour as yours. you should paint the trim pieces that surrounds the fake wood black, or get them anodized black, i believe they're aluminum...
cheers

Thanks for that, you have given me peace of mind. I was very unsure about it because I haven't seen any other mini with it but they do look like they are meant to be there.
I'm in two minds about the colour at the moment. Think it would be good to keep it in its original, Harvest Gold and personally I think it suits the car but I also like the sound of a sandy beige with a cream/ white roof. Like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happy-accidents-productions/4087039806/

As for the chrome trim, good idea but a little bold for my liking. I have been following your build for awhile now, love what you did to your fake trim on yours and Yukon grey is a great colour which also suits the car well. I think it's so much hard to find a colour to suit the clubman estate than it is any other mini.

Update

I managed to get out into the garage for a few hours after work today and continued constantly fitting and removing panels to make them fit right, still some areas to work on but getting there. My main focus was the o/s, also trial fitted the bonnet which I was pleasantly surprised about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not to sure what I'm going to do here just yet. The two panels are not that far from lining up at the bottom and top but are miles out around the hole for the indicator.

Posted Image

Something else I started was to weld up the holes on the bulkhead where the dial brackets bolt through on left hand drive cars. I plan to make it look tidy under the bonnet, before it was a mess with wires and pipes everywhere.

Posted Image

Cut a little bit of metal to weld in:

Posted Image

Welded in, ground back, and primed:

Posted Image

I also ordered a few parts from m-machine I need before I can start attaching any of the panels. Hopefully they shouldn't take too long to arrive.

Liam :proud:

#36 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

You've got a lot of money in panel s sat there, I commend you for doing it properly and not sticking a flip front on it. :D

#37 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

You've got a lot of money in panel s sat there, I commend you for doing it properly and not sticking a flip front on it. :D

I thought about it for a second because it was the cheap option but then realised I hate the bleedin' things. Don't think I have seen a single one that fits right. So it was a no brainer really I thought financially crippling myself with heritage panels was the better option.

Your doing a sterling job on your project, really quite some interesting stuff going on.

#38 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Not really much of a update, but I got my panels I ordered from M-Machine. Really pleased with M-Machine great service, helpful, quick delivery ( which would of been quicker if I hadn't messed the order up), and not to mention you get the all important discount for being a TMF+ member.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Liam

#39 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Really liking this build, think you should change the colour though so its not so commen

#40 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Not to sure what I'm going to do here just yet. The two panels are not that far from lining up at the bottom and top but are miles out around the hole for the indicator.

Posted Image

Liam :proud:

I have a New Old Stock clubman front panel if your interested...........

#41 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Shouldn't need it, thanks for the offer. The whole front end, inner wings, wings, front panel, scuttle are brand new heritage panels. should just be a case of more fettling.

#42 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Looking good there im about to.fit my front end to my chubby estate and it fitted perfect for me just wierd how some fit perfect and come don't

#43 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

I've gone from working a stupid amount of hours at work too not having a job at all, they couldn't afford to keep me on. So with my recent unemployment I have been spending my time finding a job and to work on the car.
This is what I have been doing today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made up the repair sections

Posted Image

Posted Image

Door frame braced before the old section was cut out and new welded in

Posted Image

Coated in a zinc primer

Posted Image

Liam

#44 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Looking good, I'm liking this rebuild.

Edited by alex-95, 25 October 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#45 woodenman23

woodenman23

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Looking good, I'm liking this rebuild.

Thanks.

I have been continuing with what I was doing yesterday.

Welded in my repair section,

Posted Image

Then dressed and coated with a zinc primer,

Posted Image

I then attached the new A post stiffener plate, which use to look like this,

Posted Image

Plug welded in,

Posted Image

Dressed and primed

Posted Image

Liam

0 user(s) are reading this topic