CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I was driving home last night quite happily for about 20 mins then slowed to a stop and as I did the engine lost revs and stalled. I restarted the car and set off and when I came to a stop again it did the same thing. I had to drive the rest of the way home and every time I had to stop I had to pull the choke out to stop stalling.

Now this has happened to me before but at higher speed, driving on country roads, engine cut out when I put the clutch down at 30pmh approx. As engine was not running the servo assisted brakes don’t work, scary!!! Especially when coming up to a T junction. :) I had to really stamp on the brakes to stop it just in time.

It ended up that I was unable to restart the car and called out the RAC. A nice RAC man came out and it turned out to be a problem with the dizzy. So he sanded the contacts and put in some lube and off I went.

The dizzy was replaced at Christmas so I am puzzled to why it is happening again???

I had a look at the dizzy last night and it seemed that there was white powder stuff on the contacts so I sanded them a bit.

The car drove to work absolutely fine today???

Confusing, any suggestions as to what is up?

#2 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

its a funny thing called maintenance!

its a mini, not a modern car, you have to look after them!

you should check the points gap fairly regularly if you use the car a lot, keep the suspension greased ( you'll be suprised how good the ride is after a good greasing), keep the back brakes adjusted up.
all this should be done on a regular basis, i'd recommend every 6 weeks or so if your doing a fair bit of mileage, and it shouldn't take more than an hour to do that lot!

#3 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

Carb blocked??
This happened to mine for ages before it finally broke down and we got towed home by the RAC. Acording to the RAC guy its quite a common problem so its a possibility??
Basically if you want to check it unscrew the 3 screws in the float chamber lid and you'll see all the C**p in the bottom. Soak all the fuel up with a rag then cover the top with the rag and shove an airline in it - brings it up like new! If you think this is causing the problem put an inline fuel filter in.
This might have nothing to do with the problem but i'm sure one of the mini docs will help you out.
Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:59 PM

Do you have a stage 1 kit or cone type air filter fitted to the car? I had similar problems, turned out to be carb icing, caused by moisture in the air freezing in the carb itself, blocking the jet. The car usually runs fine with the throttle open, as the fuel and air can flow past the ice, put when you dip the clutch or stop then the throttle closes, causing the engine to stop. It happened to me on the way to Bingley Hall in january.

It could be that, and the white residue on your dizzy won't be helping matters, is it a Ducellier or Lucas dizzy?? My Ducellier requires constant fettling, the dwell never stays the same for the long, the timing is always out, it eats condensers and the points are always out of adjustment. Take bluebottle's advice and keep your eye on things, like he says, Mini's, even new(ish) ones aren't 'use and forget' cars, they need constant looking after, but will take a fair amount of neglet because of their simplicity. But when things finally give up they tend to be things that the car needs to run, like ball joints, radius arm bearings, rear brake backplates because the adjusters have siezed etc etc.

Hope that helps mate!!

Tom

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

oh yeah, meant to put that if your running a cone type or pancake filter then try it with the original air box with a replacement element in, it made all the difference with mine!!

:)

tom

#6 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

Possably the condensor is on its way out. Renew the condensor and the points

Unliky to be dirt in the float chamber, I have never known this to be a problem on Constant Depresson carbs, fancy name for SU's and fords VV carbs.

Its a bit too warm for carb icing at the moment, it also happens at constant revs on motorways.

Siggy

#7 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:04 AM

Bluebottle: thank you for your kind remarks

Minis84: I have a K&N cone filter, but it wasnt particually cold when it happened and it drove in the snow without doing this?

And I think its a Lucas dizzy. cant remember.

Siggy: The condenser was changed at Christmas (I think) so is it likely to be that?

Im going ot the mini hospital to sort out an oil leak on Saturday and I will ask Bob to have a look at this problem as well. I will also get him to show me how to check stuff so I can do regular maintenance properly.

Cheers Guys,

Charlie

#8 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:11 AM

'New' condensers aren't always a good as they should be. I had a pal with a similar problem who denied it was the new condenser until he'd bought a new fuel pump, alternator, ignition leads, dizzy cap and points. The problem was still there so in desperation he tried another new condenser in place of the supposedly already new one! Problem solved. Original 'new' condenser was duff.

#9 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:19 AM

Forgot to mention it stalled once on the way home last night then was ok after that???

Is there any reason why its ok in the morning and it happens in the evening on the way home?

(Garaged overnight, office car park while at work) if that means anything

#10 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

Good point siggy, forgot it was getting warmer recently! (although you wouldn't tell judging from the last couple of days!)

David_J is right about condensers, they are wierd pieces of equipment. I replaced mine about 2 weeks ago and have noticed a misfire occasionally when running at speed and sometimes when pulling a high gear at low speed, like 35 in top. Sometimes a new condenser turns out to be duff, like the one David_J's mate had. I think its just the way it goes. I'm going to put another new one on mine to see if it makes a difference.

Try that, because sometimes they can last for years and sometimes only a few months, so if yours was done at christmas it may be that its gone.

Can't think why it would stall once then be ok. The only reason I can think of is the relatively high moisture in the air at the mo causing a weak spark, and the possibly dodgy condenser just making it worse. I know mine runs not so well in this wet weather, and condenser faulty doesn't help.

Tom

#11 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

ok just to let u guys know, the "docs" are now discussing this topic, to try and find a solustion. i may have a word with a few of the mini shops and clubs around too if we cannot find any explainable reason

#12 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

I had a prob like that on Blue once, it went on for weeks and I changed everything I could think it was, but it still kept happenin now and again.

I discoverred it by chance in the end, it was dark and I had the bonnet off and noticed that the HT lead was arcing onto both the '+' and '-' terminals of the coil, and also onto the grill, causing it to cut out when I stopped. These were brand new leads too!!

#13 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:10 AM

Cheers guys I appreciate your help!!

The drive home yesterday was fine, no stalling?????

As I said im going to the mini hospital on Sat. so i'll see if Bob has any ideas.

Keep your suggestions coming, thanks,

Charlie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users