37 replies to this topic

#16 metrotim

metrotim

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:12 AM

Sorry to echo ADO1379 but I have same problem on my mini metro but I'm not sure if he is talking about bypassing the relay or the resistor.

Sometimes my dipped headlights only work when ignition is off - when ignition on they go dim.

Would it be safe to short out the dim - dip resistor? Would this work? I calculated that with the resistor shorted out, the shorted wire would be carrying 15 amps with both headlamps on,

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Just unplug the resistor or as above join two wires

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

The system adds dipped headlights to sidelights when you turn the ignition on. It does that via the resistor so they are only half as bright. It could be it's working properly if you have the light (rocker) switch in different positions. If you don't I'd suspect the light switch first, if it is the switch you'd also lose high beam (not the headlight flasher).

#19 metrotim

metrotim

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Its just the dip that's affected, I'm going to try and get another din dip unit and if I can't I'll bypass the resistor.

Thanks for help. I'll post again if it doesn't work out.

#20 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

No, you DO NOT bypass the resistor. That will give you full dip headlights all the time that the ignition is on, which is not what is required. You must remove the DDU and join the two wires as sated. It is a safety problem. Get rid of it.

#21 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Just been looking for advice on removing this and came across this thread.

Can someone explain what the point of this relay is? As far as I can see it stood you driving on only sidelights. But it doesn't stop you driving on no lights, so I'm struggling to see the purpose? And why dimmed dipped beam anyway? If you're going to force the lights on, why not put the headlights on properly?

I'm taking mine out because I always drive with headlights on, it's an automatic part of turning the car on, so pointless risking problems if it fails.

I'd remove the sidelights as they never get used for anything if it wasn't an MOST fail.

#22 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

There's no such thing really as side lights unless you are American, they are parking lights. Of course we now see loads of people driving around just on 'sides'.

#23 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'm amazed they've survived as a concept, no one uses them for parking, I'm sure most people aren't aware when you're supposed to use them.  I was taught that you use them when parked facing the traffic on your side of the road at night, no idea if that's still the case.  Utterly pointless, never seen a car parked like that in 20 years of driving.

#24 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:51 AM

Sorry for revival. My issues seems to be relay related.

If I remove the relay and just bridge the two wires and leave everything else in place this should be enough?

#25 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'm amazed they've survived as a concept, no one uses them for parking, I'm sure most people aren't aware when you're supposed to use them.  I was taught that you use them when parked facing the traffic on your side of the road at night, no idea if that's still the case.  Utterly pointless, never seen a car parked like that in 20 years of driving.

Side lights aren't just for parking. They are a bit of a left over from dynamo days when you might've run down your battery using headlights at low revs. We haven't banned those cars so we can't really ban using sidelights .

Dim/dip was an attempt to bridge the gap. There'd be more useful than ever with some of today's stupidly bright lights.

From the Highway code, not that you'd guess from driving round any town.

248 *
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

• at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads,MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

* So your rear reflectors can be picked up by headlights

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Sorry for revival. My issues seems to be relay related.

If I remove the relay and just bridge the two wires and leave everything else in place this should be enough?

In my experience you usually don't have to do anything, but if you remove the relay you will need to permanently bridge the connections it did.

#27 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Just seen this, thanks for the info!

I didn't mean ban sidelights completely, just on new cars.

I was in a queue turning right into a Golf Club this morning, there was a black car coming down the hill, under the shade of a load of trees.  I was just about to say to my wife that that car wasn't very visible without it's lights on when the car at the front turned across it and nearly got completely cleaned up.  The black car slammed on the brakes and just avoided the collision, the turning car was far enough into the turn that he still doesn't know how close he came.

I don't think it would have happened if the black car had headlights on.

#28 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Thanks to this thread my headlights are working!

removed the relay, wasn't prepared to pay £40 for a replacement to fail in the future. I'd had the issue where all of a sudden the lights turned off one evening then came back eventually, turns out the relay was failing.

#29 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:00 PM

I'm amazed they've survived as a concept, no one uses them for parking, I'm sure most people aren't aware when you're supposed to use them. I was taught that you use them when parked facing the traffic on your side of the road at night, no idea if that's still the case. Utterly pointless, never seen a car parked like that in 20 years of driving.

Side lights aren't just for parking. They are a bit of a left over from dynamo days when you might've run down your battery using headlights at low revs. We haven't banned those cars so we can't really ban using sidelights .
Dim/dip was an attempt to bridge the gap. There'd be more useful than ever with some of today's stupidly bright lights.

From the Highway code, not that you'd guess from driving round any town.
248 *
You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space. Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
  • at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads,MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

* So your rear reflectors can be picked up by headlights
Slightly off topic,just out of intrest
Does that mean that parked vehicles have their (small) lights on 24/7?

#30 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Only required during lighting up hours, and as it says, only in certain circumstances like on unlit roads.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users