#31 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

If the speed limit of the road you're parked on is higher than 30mph then yes. Thats the way i read it.

Cheers :proud:

#32 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

I've been doing a few searches on this and found people asking for a pinout on the relay, no real response seen

some say just pull the resistor, one says cut the green at the relay, one says cross over the blue/brown to blue/red

I've spent the afternoon with a voltmeter and traced out on my loom on the garage floor and plotted it all out

==removed misleading comment about green wire==

20220103-212823.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 04 January 2022 - 11:05 PM.

#33 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:49 PM

therefore I believe my modified wiring would be:

20220103-215137.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 04 January 2022 - 11:07 PM.

#34 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 January 2022 - 10:58 PM

The green goes to many more things that a lamp on the dash.

the info is in your Haynes manual or if you don’t have one in the redrawn wiring diagrams thread above.

#35 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 11:06 PM

the only snag is, there are about 8 different wiring diagrams in the haynes and none seem specific to my year / model, also the dim/dip part of it is not clearly obvious unless you spend an age tracing all the lines from one place to another

I just figured my version is far simpler and will be handy to anyone who has asked the question I keep coming across that hasn't yet had a direct answer, specifically anyone who searches dim/dip bypass and jumps straight to this thread

==removed misleading comments about green wire==

Edited by stuart bowes, 04 January 2022 - 08:23 PM.

#36 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 04 January 2022 - 01:46 PM

Green tends to be the fused live feed to all ignition controlled items .. eg fuel gauge, indicators, reverse lights, etc.

#37 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:59 PM

What is wrong with the dim/ dip system?.If it works why not leave it alone,mine has worked OK for 33 years.Steve..

#38 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:09 PM

I've always a firm believer in 'simple is less likely to go wrong' and if I cut it out, there's zero chance I'll ever need to source a new relay, less chance the lights will fail, and it tidies up the loom a bit

I have corrected a couple of errors on the diagram above for future reference.  

all it was really, I saw a couple of comments that asked for the same as what I was looking for, a diagram that showed what the relay outputs were and what all the colours mean, and no-one seemed to answer it other than 'go look at a wiring diagram' which isn't really all that helpful for others who might be flummoxed by diagrams and just wants an easy quick answer.  I don't just want to cut something out, I want to understand what it does as well while I'm doing it

so the answer is now here for anyone who needs it

--

that aside, I can confirm that connecting blue/red to blue/brown as per the red line (showing which pins in case colours vary) does effectively wire out the relay as advised previously and you can cut the green without worrying about it affecting anything else or needing to patch it back in somewhere else

you can cut or disconnect the resistor, you don't need to bridge the connection.  in fact when I re-wrap my loom with new sticky cloth wrap I'll follow the two resistor wires back all the way and just remove them from whence they came, same for the relay wiring.

Edited by stuart bowes, 04 January 2022 - 11:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users