15 replies to this topic

#1 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi there just wanted to give an update to my Mini Z Cars Volvo T4 project. I am new to the forum so thought this was a good way to introduce myself.

The car is now registerd and taxed and on the road. It needs to tweeking on the DTA management system to get it running better but seems to go pretty well when the boost comes on. I may need to set the alignment up again on the rear as it feels like it has too much toe on the right rear. Otherwise it seems to be pretty sound. I have posted some videos on YouTube of the car and am going to upload a new one of it running tomorrow. Has anyone else done one of these Volvo engine cars? I would like to know how you felt the kit went together.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=87-sqoAIs8o

Attached Files

Edited by 20xe16v, 04 June 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#2 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Great looking car, id love to see more photos. I'm fairly certain you've used the same wheels as I have, did u need to use a space & longer studs to clear the calipers?

Adam.

#3 northbrook

northbrook

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Nice looking car,

Thinking about a project along similar lines myself.. >_<

#4 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

The Volvo builds really are creeping out of the woodwork, nice to see a few more although a build thread work be excellent >_<

With regards to how the kit went together…. I did have a few issues with mine as the kit didn’t bolt together as easily as I’d hoped for a jigged kit! really had to push and pull the front assy to get it all together, but hey ho

What engine and turbo you running? As yours is different to mine and never seen that engine cover on a B4194T either!

Did you do any other performance mod’s and how’s the charge cooling with the i/c being in the rear window?

Might send you a PM regarding a few items too, as I have a few connectors lying redundant and want to check yours are also lol

Also, where you based as it would be nice to see a completed project?

#5 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hi there, have been keeping track of your videos since I found your first one on youtube. Glad youve come to the forum. Its really good to see a Volvo kit actually finished and someone has really got one working, this is the first one Ive seen.

Really looking forward to the build diary to see how youve gone about things, particullarly if youve built it all from Zcars recommendations or if youve sourced your own products and gone about it your own way.

Just a quick question for you. What ecu have you used? A DTA one is about £500, but wondering if you can use a standard one, or even a Volvo one thats been tuned by RICA, MTE or BSR. What sort of engine spec and bhp are you running?

Great looking car, well done on getting it finished and look forward to more details on here.

Ben

Edited by benmoffat, 06 June 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#6 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Great looking car, id love to see more photos. I'm fairly certain you've used the same wheels as I have, did u need to use a space & longer studs to clear the calipers?

Adam.

yes i have used spacers on the rear wheels to clear the calipers, they were catching on the pads.

#7 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

The Volvo builds really are creeping out of the woodwork, nice to see a few more although a build thread work be excellent :D

With regards to how the kit went together…. I did have a few issues with mine as the kit didn’t bolt together as easily as I’d hoped for a jigged kit! really had to push and pull the front assy to get it all together, but hey ho

What engine and turbo you running? As yours is different to mine and never seen that engine cover on a B4194T either!

Did you do any other performance mod’s and how’s the charge cooling with the i/c being in the rear window?

Might send you a PM regarding a few items too, as I have a few connectors lying redundant and want to check yours are also lol

Also, where you based as it would be nice to see a completed project?

I am running a standard engine and turbo with a manual boost controller. The engine mangement is a DTA S40 system. This needs setting up on a dyna now really but the car seems to go pretty well. I had some connectors vacant also but these are for components I have not used such as lambda sensor etc.

#8 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi there, have been keeping track of your videos since I found your first one on youtube. Glad youve come to the forum. Its really good to see a Volvo kit actually finished and someone has really got one working, this is the first one Ive seen.

Really looking forward to the build diary to see how youve gone about things, particullarly if youve built it all from Zcars recommendations or if youve sourced your own products and gone about it your own way.

Just a quick question for you. What ecu have you used? A DTA one is about £500, but wondering if you can use a standard one, or even a Volvo one thats been tuned by RICA, MTE or BSR. What sort of engine spec and bhp are you running?

Great looking car, well done on getting it finished and look forward to more details on here.

Ben

Thanks Ben, the DTA is an S40 and yes it was about £450.00. I struggled with the standard volvo system due to the imobilisation. Not sure what its going to produce but standard the 1.9 T4's were about 200bhp.

#9 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Very nice and clean build! Congratulations! How is the gearing on 13 inch?

My volvo kit is almost finish. Engine starts and runs fine, clutch and gears are smooth but still have to sort out the brakes as one nipple broke on the rear calipers. In order to avoid them to catch on the rims, instead of using spacers I've trim down the supports a bit. In order to keep the build in budget I've used the standard Volvo ECU. I still get 3 codes of stuff that I have to connect, but everything works OK. I might even be using the entire loom as for lights, indicators, etc.

As mentioned one I sort out the brake nipple and I bleed the system I;ll go out for a run before sorting out all the wiring for the lights.

#10 minibugga

minibugga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hello,

I would like to know what type of master cylinder have you used for the clutch or if you´ve done any modifications to the clutch actuator. In my case I´ve kept the std. clutch master cylinder, but it looks like the clutch needs a bit more of fluid as the gears are a bit hard to switch and the clutch desengages very soon after full travel.

Could you or anyone give me some advice on this? What sort of size of master cylinder requires the T4 engine.

Thanks a lot, Gonzo

#11 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Did I see this near Nottingham last night? Driving past Bingham?

If so it looked CRACKING!!

#12 Jakeclubby

Jakeclubby

Previously known as Jakemayfair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi
What size are the wheels and are they ultralites?? also what are the wheel arches??
Thanks

#13 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Did I see this near Nottingham last night? Driving past Bingham?

If so it looked CRACKING!!

Hi Mate sorry for such a long delay in replying to this. Yes it would have been me near Bingham.

#14 Jeffreypang911

Jeffreypang911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hate to bump but does that intercooler get enough air flow though? I feel like it would also make the inside quite hot. Just thinking of intercooler setups right now for mid engine.

Edited by Jeffreypang911, 20 July 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#15 20xe16v

20xe16v

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hate to bump but does that intercooler get enough air flow though? I feel like it would also make the inside quite hot. Just thinking of intercooler setups right now for mid engine.

Hi there, the intercooler does get air but I need to improve the scooping to direct more onto it. The car gets hot inside anyway with the engine right behind you so it doesnt make that much difference. I had a Saab 9000 intercooler i was going to fit in the roof but then decided that i didnt want to start cutting the roof up. Still have it if your interested?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users