#136 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Folks a bit of useful info for converting various regulators to different gases. Please note though the disposable type of regulator will still need to be replaced when converting to the large type of gas bottles.

You can get this adapter to convert your CO2 regulator to enable you to use a Argon/CO2 bottle

http://www.ebay.co.u...88998734&_rdc=1

and this adapter to convert a Argon/CO2 regulator to fit a CO2 bottle

http://www.ebay.co.u...22808256&_rdc=1

thanks to ibrooks for this info.

And a big thankyou to GrahamHill for highlighting a potentially dangerous issue with the CO2 convertor to . Please see the post beneath this one before you buy a converter.

#137 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC (Glos)

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

*Caution* The converters can be unsafe. While most regulators made are all the same just with a different connection some are not and so sticking a CO2 reg that is not designed for the higher pressures of argon mixes can destroy regs and much more. We had a customer come to us after he had done something similar. Blew a hole in his ceiling, floor and several deep gashes in his body. 

Also re the converters - the ones listed are very expensive. Please ask me for a price if you need them.

#138 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Just to add he came to us after his accident because the company he bought from was having none of it. 

#139 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

*Caution* The converters can be unsafe. While most regulators made are all the same just with a different connection some are not and so sticking a CO2 reg that is not designed for the higher pressures of argon mixes can destroy regs and much more. We had a customer come to us after he had done something similar. Blew a hole in his ceiling, floor and several deep gashes in his body. 

Also re the converters - the ones listed are very expensive. Please ask me for a price if you need them.

Thankyou for that info i will add a separate warning to that part of the thread.

#140 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

No worries. Like I say, most regs these days are all made from the same parts. Best thing to do would be to doubly confirm with your regulator supplying company and if it is an old CO2 reg to not risk it :)

#141 jakub.cr

jakub.cr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Some more info and this time its with regards to keeping heat distortion to a minimum.

For a long time i have always used a moist rag to keep the area i am working in cool. Some folks on here say it will cause more distortion but and its a big but i have not suffered using this method.
However there are other methods and products available.

First method is to use a section of copper behing the area you are going to weld. You can use a section of copper pipe cut along its length and then flattened. Pin this in place with some cleco's.
Then there is this product http://www.frost.co....ont-414ml.html. Another member on here Deemo introduced me to this product in his build thread Edward the multi purpose mini and the product when used looks like this
DSCF0429.jpg

Deemo says it works well and i will be getting some to give it a go.

Hello, 

can you pleas send me link for this "welding paste" ?

Thank you

#142 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Some more info and this time its with regards to keeping heat distortion to a minimum.

For a long time i have always used a moist rag to keep the area i am working in cool. Some folks on here say it will cause more distortion but and its a big but i have not suffered using this method.
However there are other methods and products available.

First method is to use a section of copper behing the area you are going to weld. You can use a section of copper pipe cut along its length and then flattened. Pin this in place with some cleco's.
Then there is this product http://www.frost.co....ont-414ml.html. Another member on here Deemo introduced me to this product in his build thread Edward the multi purpose mini and the product when used looks like this

Deemo says it works well and i will be getting some to give it a go.

Hello, 

can you pleas send me link for this "welding paste" ?

Thank you

http://www.frost.co....ront-414ml.html

#143 jakub.cr

jakub.cr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thank you so much.. :)

#144 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

It's called 'Heat Block' we sell it but another product that isn't on the web - I think we are cheaper than that too. Will look tomo and let you know if you can save some pennies :)

#145 Corey96Williams

Corey96Williams

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Thanks, helped a lot  :gimme:

#146 BrianPoindexter

BrianPoindexter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

Great post! Really want to thank you for this nice post and guidance for welding. 

#147 Marshmallow

Marshmallow

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

After welding on thicker metals and getting the general just of it I decided to make use of some much loved oversills; cutting them up and practice welding on them! I have the same welder as yours, but cannot seem to get those setting to work with mine, just blows holes too often (even just welding for a split second) any tips on how to get it to work better with those settings? Torch angle, etc?
I'm using butt welding clamps so the gap is tiny, but still blows through.

Any help would be appreciated :D

#148 Marshmallow

Marshmallow

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Should also probably mention that I'm not trying to seam weld, just pulsing :)

#149 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:42 PM

After welding on thicker metals and getting the general just of it I decided to make use of some much loved oversills; cutting them up and practice welding on them! I have the same welder as yours, but cannot seem to get those setting to work with mine, just blows holes too often (even just welding for a split second) any tips on how to get it to work better with those settings? Torch angle, etc?
I'm using butt welding clamps so the gap is tiny, but still blows through.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Mmm the settings i have shown should let you tack and pulse weld with no issues. Normally when i pulse weld a long length i normally have the torch at an angle and supported with my other hand. Even butt welding like this should not be an issue.

It does sound like you are holding the trigger on for too long. What wire speed are you currently using?? try turning it up a bit to see what happens.

#150 Marshmallow

Marshmallow

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

That's where I'm a bit confused, it's tiny gaps, same settings, wire speed 7 with 0.6mm wire, but even with a split second, like a little blip of the trigger and its blowing through in areas, were you welding on a flat surface where something was acting as a backing to disperse the heat or should this work fine without any backing?

And I shall give it a try! :)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users