sonikk4

Twisted Fire starter!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Local Club: EDMC

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

If you want a reasonable starter welder then I cannot recommend the Clarke 135TE enough. With it being a turbo it has a very good duty cycle so when tune up to max it will happily weld 1/4" plate without any fuss and more than happily welds anything on a mini. It will weld thinner metal as well with ease if you need to go thinner than 0.9mm

#167 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:30 AM

Ive got the clarke mig 135te fantastic little hobby welder i use the little non refill cannisters not every ones cuppa but for me it gets tje job done

#168 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Fire starter!!

• Admin
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

The thing is this is a question that does get asked a lot on here and FB.

Now it boils down to several things.

1: Budget.
2: Abilty
3: Frequency of use.

Now personally I have been hammering my 135TE for a long time (3 full mini body restos, VW T4, various other cars over the years) and it keeps going. Yes I really could do with a more professional unit like for example a Porta Mig but when you are looking at £600+ at the moment I cannot justify one. It's a hobby not a full time job so as and when this dies then I will splash the cash.

So basically that is what you need to ask yourself.

#169 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Crews Missiles

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I was looking around £200, I had originally looked on eBay and I had seen a wolf 140 as a kit with bottle tips wire and co2 canister for £170. After speaking to a guy from our mini club he recommended the Clarke 90en as this had the lowest amps of 24. The welder probably isn't going to get a massive amount of use just yet but the boys with new toys I'll probably have a work bench and God know what else. I think I would like something reliable that will last too, Also ability erm well I have never welded before

Edited by HarriBlow, 28 August 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#170 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Also. Regulators, wow I'm a bit confused by what I need do I need a dual regulator if so we're can I buy one

#171 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

So after much deliberation I finally purchased my welder, I opted for the Clarke 135te all I need now is an excuse and some time to use it

#172 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Fire starter!!

• Admin
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

So after much deliberation I finally purchased my welder, I opted for the Clarke 135te all I need now is an excuse and some time to use it

No excuse needed. So buy a regulator suitable for Argoshield lite or equivalent, a 5kg reel of 0.6mm wire, some spare tips, shrouds, some 0.9mm steel sheet and 1.2mm sheet and away you go. 

#173 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have a regulator for co2 and argon had that months, I purchased it from machine mart so it has everything I need to get going, I just need to get a bigger bottle now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares