#166 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

If you want a reasonable starter welder then I cannot recommend the Clarke 135TE enough. With it being a turbo it has a very good duty cycle so when tune up to max it will happily weld 1/4" plate without any fuss and more than happily welds anything on a mini. It will weld thinner metal as well with ease if you need to go thinner than 0.9mm

#167 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:30 AM

Ive got the clarke mig 135te fantastic little hobby welder i use the little non refill cannisters not every ones cuppa but for me it gets tje job done

#168 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

The thing is this is a question that does get asked a lot on here and FB.

Now it boils down to several things.

1: Budget.
2: Abilty
3: Frequency of use.

Now personally I have been hammering my 135TE for a long time (3 full mini body restos, VW T4, various other cars over the years) and it keeps going. Yes I really could do with a more professional unit like for example a Porta Mig but when you are looking at £600+ at the moment I cannot justify one. It's a hobby not a full time job so as and when this dies then I will splash the cash.

So basically that is what you need to ask yourself.

#169 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: Crewes Missiles

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

I was looking around £200, I had originally looked on eBay and I had seen a wolf 140 as a kit with bottle tips wire and co2 canister for £170. After speaking to a guy from our mini club he recommended the Clarke 90en as this had the lowest amps of 24. The welder probably isn't going to get a massive amount of use just yet but the boys with new toys I'll probably have a work bench and God know what else. I think I would like something reliable that will last too, Also ability erm well I have never welded before

Edited by HarriBlow, 28 August 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#170 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Also. Regulators, wow I'm a bit confused by what I need do I need a dual regulator if so we're can I buy one

#171 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

So after much deliberation I finally purchased my welder, I opted for the Clarke 135te all I need now is an excuse and some time to use it

#172 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

So after much deliberation I finally purchased my welder, I opted for the Clarke 135te all I need now is an excuse and some time to use it

No excuse needed. So buy a regulator suitable for Argoshield lite or equivalent, a 5kg reel of 0.6mm wire, some spare tips, shrouds, some 0.9mm steel sheet and 1.2mm sheet and away you go. 

#173 HarriBlow

HarriBlow

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have a regulator for co2 and argon had that months, I purchased it from machine mart so it has everything I need to get going, I just need to get a bigger bottle now

#174 wombatjock

wombatjock

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the thread Neil!

Not sure if this is off topic or not. Apologies if so. Here goes.

How do you get the plug welds ground flush (and seemingly invisible) without thinning the metal too much? Is it just a lot of care with an 80-grit flap disc, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers,

Jim

#175 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the thread Neil!

Not sure if this is off topic or not. Apologies if so. Here goes.

How do you get the plug welds ground flush (and seemingly invisible) without thinning the metal too much? Is it just a lot of care with an 80-grit flap disc, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim, i use Roloc discs, which give a far finer finish and removes as much or as little metal as you desire. This is with a Pneumatic die grinder so not as harsh as a electric grinder with a flap wheel.

#176 wombatjock

wombatjock

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:28 PM

Thanks Neil.

I have a pneumatic die grinder. I'll have a look tomorrow for the additional stuff I need.

Cheers,

Jim

#177 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:02 AM

Great thread this I'm hoping to pick up a 135 today and start the learning process of welding...??

#178 Underdose

Underdose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

I may have to do my work outside, in a carport. I could put a wind break up. I’m just wondering how much wind/draft we are talking about regarding going gas vs gasless? Or will any outside work be unsuitable for gas. Thanks, great post. I’ve learnt lots and all seems less daunting.

#179 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

I may have to do my work outside, in a carport. I could put a wind break up. I’m just wondering how much wind/draft we are talking about regarding going gas vs gasless? Or will any outside work be unsuitable for gas. Thanks, great post. I’ve learnt lots and all seems less daunting.

I have used all sorts of things from blankets wrapped on a pallet to act as a windbreak to basically anything i can find. As long as the torch area is protected you should be good. It may take a bit of fiddling around but you will soon know if you are protected enough.

#180 Underdose

Underdose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:19 PM

I have used all sorts of things from blankets wrapped on a pallet to act as a windbreak to basically anything i can find. As long as the torch area is protected you should be good. It may take a bit of fiddling around but you will soon know if you are protected enough.

Thank you for your reply, that's genuinely helpful. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users