6 replies to this topic

#1 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:12 PM

just recently my car has developed a squeek/rub/sqelch. Its coming from the front right, it only comes on as u are moving so slows down and speeds up so its gotta be something to do with the wheels or its drive. Any way has anyone experienced anything like it or might know what it would be??

Another my right bottom ball joint is loose so ive got a spare for the right had side (top and bottom) but just wondered how are they to fit??

#2 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:19 AM

Squeak sounds like a wheel brg.

Ball joints, you need a 1 1/2 deep socket. Follow the instructions in a manual.

'TIP' Place it on stands, take the wheel off and then carefully jack it up under the lower arm, as near to the joint as possable. then tap a chisel between the top arm and the drop rubber. lower the jack, with the chisel still there and this will give you plenty of clearance to pull the hub off.

Siggy

#3 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

that squeek could also be a worn knuckle joint. the joint has a nylon cup at the bottom of it, when this wears out the steel part of the knuckle rubs on the top arm and its squeeks. the new knuckle is cheap (about £3), but it can be a bit of a fiddle to change.

#4 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:44 PM

Knuckles normally squeak at low speeds and the nose doe's not speed up as you go faster.

Siggy

#5 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:27 PM

fair play to you!... i got to learn to read these things properly!

#6 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

does any 1 know what i could be, it seems to come and go when it likes, i have changed my ball joints but it hasnt really sorted anything out, I have found out that sometimes goin over humps makes it start

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:12 PM

Have you had a look at the bushes between the shock absorbers and the suspension arms/inner wing? It could also be that your suspension is running dry, where the top wishbone runs in its bearings. Try putting some grease into the grease nipple thats right inside the top wishbone. I had a similar problem and that cured it.

Are your brake pads in good nick? Discs running true? If the're not then that could be the cause.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users