#1 Jack BRCG

Jack BRCG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Torbay Mini Club

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

hi all, iv had this problem and it keeps coming and going, basicly i go to start the car and it clicks like theres a flat battery, i keep turning the key on and off and eventually it turns over fine, last time i had this i took it to be checked by an auto electrician and he said it was the solenoid, replaced it and it was fine then it came back again.
iv gota flip front and the solenoid is mounted right at the front of the car on the subframe and the mounts sometimes rust up and cleaning them seems to clear the problem, but the problem always comes back.
would the solenoid break after a few months??
and where have others mounted it when they dont have inner wings?
cheers

#2 primrose8

primrose8

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

sounds like you may have a bad connection, if the solonoid is clicking then maybe the lead from the battery to the solonoid and from there to the starter make sure these are clean and tight, also the earth lead to the boddy and fom the body to the engine, the starter may also be sticking in and jamming try rocking the car in gear to release it and try again, if all these are ok i would be looking at the starter motor hope this helps

#3 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Disconnect the negative on the battery then reconnect - might solve it.. but it sounds like a loose connection or a shagged starter like primrose8 said!

#4 Topaz

Topaz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini Owners

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

My son had a similar problem with his Mini and traced the wiring all the way to the motor but it still wouldn't start. Took the motor off and tested it on the bench and it spun over with no problem but when put back on the car it just would not go.

Finally realised that the connection to the motor did not have an insulating piece on it and so depending on how the cable was fixed to the motor, part of it was touching the body of the motor and going direct to earth. A big thick plastic washer cured the problem. Also while we were testing things we realised that the engine did not have an earth strap to the bodywork and fitted one (which may have cured a charging problem as he hasn't had a flat battery since)

These may not be your problems but worth checking just in case

Mike

#5 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

The solenoid must have a good earth - mount it directly on the wok - not on the subby. But also worth checking battery connections - and the EARTH STRAP.

#6 Rabtmac

Rabtmac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Local Club: Looking for one close to me

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

As said above make sure your earth connections are good and the cables are good
try taking the started motor out chech the bushes are ok and give the thrust gear a really good clean and coat it with WD40 or something similar that should solve any sticking problems you might have

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

If you choose to leave the solenoid on the subframe, run a new earth wire from the engine block to the mounting foot of the solenoid. Make sure the mounting foot of the solenoid is free from rust, apply a layer of dielectric grease or Vaseline to the foot (at least around the mounting screw holes), then secure the earth wire to one of the solenoid mounting screws.

#8 Jack BRCG

Jack BRCG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Torbay Mini Club

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

cheers guys.
tried to move the solanoid to the brace bars but found the starter wire was about 2mm to short ha.
gona have another go at it in a week or 2, but fitted a brand new solanoid and the problems gone again, (for a while) ha

#9 taj

taj

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

where would you find the solenoid? i have a problem with my solenoid i think so i need to make sure i am getting power in it.

#10 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

where would you find the solenoid? i have a problem with my solenoid i think so i need to make sure i am getting power in it.

on the starter motor

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Depends on the age of the type of starter used which is somewhat related to the age of the car.

If your starter looks like the picture below, it is an inertia starter and the solenoid is a separate part that will be mounted on the clutch cover (normally) but could be elsewhere in the engine bay. Follow the big cable from the starter back to a lump with some big battery cables on it in addition to a few smaller brown wires.
Posted Image

Later cars used a pre-engaged starter that looks like the picture below. The smaller cylinder on top of the starter motor is the solenoid.
Posted Image

In your thread I posted a question for you. Where are you connecting the jumper cables when the engine does start? (Please post the answer in that thread, not this one.)

#12 Revan239

Revan239

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: Carlisle

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

I have some troubles starting my car! It's 37 this year and has one hell of a slow starting speed, everything is completely original (in the engine bay) not in 100% condition but it starts none the less, I have had my starter off (inertia) and bench tested it and it has worked just fine but when it is but back on with a healthy battery it turns as if it's flat, considering on renewing the alternator and the starter just wondering if this would improve the starting speed? And if not what can I do to improve it? Any help would be much obliged !

Thanks, Daniel

#13 Tubby1987

Tubby1987

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

I had a similar issue, i thought it may be my alternator or battery because it was turning over really slowly. Tried a new battery which worked for a few days then hit the same problem. I got told if you start your car and put the headlights on, then rev your engine, if your lights get a little brighter then your alternator is doing its job.

Used a volt meter on the starter motor while someone turned the key to start the car, and the starter was giving a very low reading. Put a new starter motor on and it turns over like a modern car does! When it's cold outside it takes a couple of cranks max and it fires up, but most of the time just fires up at the turn of the key. 

Mine is an inertia starter. I'm no mechanic but maybe it's a duff starter motor? Try the alternator test i mentioned before you replace that. I bet it's your starter motor.

#14 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

You said you bench tested the alternator and it worked.  Elaborate on that a bit please.

During your bench test did the Bendix unit move up the shaft towards the motor mounting flange?  

Also be sure to check the thread linked below:

http://www.theminifo...ine-wont-start/

#15 Revan239

Revan239

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: Carlisle

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Yes the starter moved in the way you described, it's just that it's the original motor and might be worth renewing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users