5 replies to this topic

#1 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:02 PM

Hey just wondering if anyone has a swiftune sw5 cam in a 998 and what it is like? Power increases.... responsivness, how it improves things etc

ALSO!! Woud you go to the trouble of taking out and changing the cam on a engine with 77k miles or build a new one (say 40/50k) change the head and refurb it, then fit it?

cHEERs

TML

Also... would it cost alot for someone in plymouth (hey guys) to fit the cam to the engine that I have already?

#2 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

iv not used the swift tune though i have only read good things about it. its based on the 997cooper s cam, which is suposedly the best profile cam to date for a mini though this was probably biased information.

as for rebuilding. i would sugest rebuilding the engien when chanign the cam. the pistions will be getting worn, so a new set of rings and a hone could b a good thing!

as for the head, there prbably wont b any need to change it uless u wana go for something better or do some porting, in which case a skim would b a good idea.

as for the price of fitting the cam, well ul b paying alot for labour as ul have to take the engine out, its much cheaper doign it urself if ur confident enough

hope that helps

tim

also check the bearings and oil seals as well as all the gaskets(its a good oppertunity to replace the tired ones

#3 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:20 PM

also check the bearings and oil seals as well as all the gaskets(its a good oppertunity to replace the tired ones

I wish I was confident enough, I figure just get one, learn about what I'm doing and do bits at the same time, then get my mates dad to use his crane and mini knowledge to put it in the current engines place.

Thakns for the help, just wish it didnt sound so difficult!! rrr

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

If you take the engine out, I can re-build it for you and fit any new bits to it if you want.

I live at Pennycross in Plymouth, give me a shout if you want to take a loot at it for you.

As for the crane, 2 people can lift the engine out easy enuf, if you need a hand...

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:53 PM

aw the fun trying to pop the drive shafts out, swish i lived down that end, wouldnt mind helping grr

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:28 AM

Drive your current engine till it goes to heaven, since it sounds like its a pretty good engine (77k miles isnt bad at all)... Don't start messing with it if it gets the job done.

once it goes, have rich build you a monster! It'll be cheaper, better and faster than having some mechanic trying to assemble it epecially with all the other more modern (and more expensive :)) cars waiting in line!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users