#1 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

not sure where to post this....

I've just got hold of a bumper with overriders and corner bars, but one overrider has very deep scratches on it and one corner bar has a few..

what can I do for this? there is a mini chrome place round the corner so i'm gonna pop round 2moro at some point to ask their opinion just thought i'd ask you lot aswell!

cheers

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

If you want a decent finish, then the only thing to do is to take is back to the steel, then brass and then chrome plate it. Get some examples of their work aswell, as the finish on replated pieces varies from fantastic to could-have-got-it-from-a-tin (i.e. rubbish).

#3 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

ok i'll check some of their work.

i'm more worried about the scratches to be honest....they are quite deep!will removing the existing chrome, and then replating and re-chroming fill the scratches?

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

The problem is that the chrome plating is done in a bath, so effectively you'd be plating over the plating to fill the scratches. That is where the quality falls down in most refinishing work in that the base is already contaminated in some way. To do it 100% properly, they'd need to take the whole piece down to bare metal to start the complete process over. There *may* be some way of removing the chrome, removing the brass to a point, and then rebrassing and rechroming only the bits that have been cleaned. In my mind though, you'd see the *join*.

The other thing to remember is that the smoothness of the finish is down to the brass coating. The chrome is just a thin coat (think of it as paint over a primer. If you mess up the primer, the paint looks rubbish, no matter how much you polish)

I think the simplest way is to go and see them, take the parts, and see what they offer to refinish them (and how much of course!).

#5 frostie

frostie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

thats what i was worried about! i dont need shiney shiney concourse chrome, but dont want the scratches visible!

i know it's almost impossible to say, but roughly how much do you think this would cost?just so i've got an idea!

thanks for your help by the way

#6 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

I had a complete TR6 bumper done ages ago, and IIRC, it cost me around £80.

If you're not worried about concourse, have you seen if frosts do anything as a repair?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users