#1 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local Club: Bmc

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

After reading about them on here and turbi-minis.com id like to know how much is it for mirage racing manifold and downpipe kit etc without the turbo its self and furthermore with a standard engine using the metro turbo cam 12g295 head and t2 turbo running say 10psi boost what sort of fuel consumption should i expect as i wish to create a 998 turbo for my first engine overhall/turbo build??? :)

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

10 psi on a 998 will get you around 100bhp depensing on turbo/head/cam etc

Well setup with mapped ignition, 45mpg is achievable.

#3 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Im Going for all standard components but a 12g295 head and metro turbo cam with standard ignition but metro turbo fuel pump dump valve, small intercooler etc so what should i dxpect with that the turbo-mini site said it can be done using a list of parts most of what i just covered? :)

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

The Metty turbo cam is the same as a bog standard 1275, it's the normally aspirated MG cam that is worth fitting. If you have spare cash put it into programmable ignition like Megajolt.

I wouldn't bother with Mirage's manifold (too pricey), unless you're after avoiding bulkhead surgery. Someone on Turbo Min's might sell you a suitable manifold, either Metty or a d-i-y jobbie similar to the Mirage one.

Collect the bits where you can, some can be just as useful on a N/A engine - I wouldn't start on the turbo conversion until you have all the bits together. Costs can spiral & there's always something else.

#5 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Ye cheers well il look into options with the exhaust manifold im no idea how much the mirage set cost apart from that it says on turbo-minis site that in a 998 a metro turbo cam would be best if it is exactly the same as a 1275 cam then the same goes it would be more suitable than the standard 998 one and yes im not going to start until i hav gathered the most essensial parts but as i am new to engine and turbo builds i may run into a prob here and there

#6 grainge231

grainge231

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

i have a garrett T2 on ebay if your interested in turbo'ing.

#7 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

I wouldn't bother with Mirage's manifold (too pricey), unless you're after avoiding bulkhead surgery. Someone on Turbo Min's might sell you a suitable manifold, either Metty or a d-i-y jobbie similar to the Mirage one.

I disagree, I personally think it's pretty good value for what you get, not cheap, but then a bespoke manifold to do the same job isn't either.

don't use the standard dizzy, you'll be disspointed with the results and it's likely to end in trears as too much advance will melt your engine.

#8 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Right well ive been lookin on ebay so may put some bids in still waitin for some income at the min though. I was told that the standard dizzy would be fine but nevertheless what sort would you reccomend and how much does the mirage manifold kit cost because i cant get it to desplay on my phone?

#9 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

i have a garrett T2 on ebay if your interested in turbo'ing.

The link you sent didnt work :/ nevermind

#10 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

The mirage is around £350 iirc. I bought a mirage for one of my projects and still managed to do the whole conversion for less than £1k. But realistically you need £1500 to £2k.

Whoever told you the standard dizzy was fine obviously does not have a clue, I would not take anymore of their advice on turboing.

If you must use a dizzy there are two options, use the metro turbo one, or use a fixed dizzy, set it to a max advance of 24degrees. this is a massive compromise and will be bad for fuel econmy.

#11 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

The mirage is around £350 iirc. I bought a mirage for one of my projects and still managed to do the whole conversion for less than £1k. But realistically you need £1500 to £2k.

Whoever told you the standard dizzy was fine obviously does not have a clue, I would not take anymore of their advice on turboing.

If you must use a dizzy there are two options, use the metro turbo one, or use a fixed dizzy, set it to a max advance of 24degrees. this is a massive compromise and will be bad for fuel econmy.

So how is a metro dizzy are they any good and this is quikly turning more complex and dear than i hoped for didnt look too bad on www.Turbo-mini.com

#12 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:56 AM

That's Wils car that's featured on my site. If you look carefully you'll see that although he built it on a reasonable budget, he didn't scrimp on the important areas to ensure reliability, such as lowering the compression with the 295 head & proper control over the ignition using Megajolt.
As already said the Metro Turbo cam is just the standard 1275 cam, what you want is the cam from the NA MG Metro which is different as it says on my website. I think you got a little confused on this.

Phil.

#13 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

That's Wils car that's featured on my site. If you look carefully you'll see that although he built it on a reasonable budget, he didn't scrimp on the important areas to ensure reliability, such as lowering the compression with the 295 head & proper control over the ignition using Megajolt.
As already said the Metro Turbo cam is just the standard 1275 cam, what you want is the cam from the NA MG Metro which is different as it says on my website. I think you got a little confused on this.

Phil.

Yes sorry he did use the different ignirion too looks tricky to fit but i will look into it further and is that particular cam essential or would a sports cam or kent cam of some sort do the trick?

#14 drumindan

drumindan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

The standard metro cam you said didnt you there fairly cheap and thanks for the replys and help guys muchly aprechiated :)

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

You'll already have the same, or similar, cam, and you can swap the cam on a small bore engine relatively easily. Put your money into something else if you're trying to keep the cost down.

You could do the head & megajolt and see the advantage on the engine (in performance & economy) before you fit a turbo, You could also use a carb fettled for turbo charging and the rest of the turbo fuel system on a N/A car, but there'd be no advantage without the blower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users