7 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:50 PM

iv'e rebuilt the carb with a rebuild kit, new jet gaskets and everything, tee trouble is i can only get the car to run with the choke applied, it does take quite a few turns to get it firing, i've done the points, ignition timing, static @ 8' btc, i've got new points, leads, plugs, coil, dizzy cap, but still need to fit a new condensor..
i was wondering if the new jet might be fault so when the needle is fully down it is bloking the jet, has anyone had a similar problem? carbs are not my strong point!

#2 Sutty01

Sutty01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

try tuning it to run rich ?

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:09 PM

tried the idler screw but runs at excesive rpm's that way

#4 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:26 PM

Was it OK before you rebuilt the carb?

What carb? Try adjust ting the mixture screw/nut to richen it up.

Set the ignition timing with a strobe.

Siggy

#5 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:19 AM

Mine did this when i had the carb off as the choke cable slipped a bit so i had to pull the choke right out to make it run. I presume if you've had the carb off you will have reset the cables correctly anyway? When i had my carb off last it made it run teribly because i didn't replace the manifold to carb gaskets so it had an air leak and misfired a lot - soon fixed anyway.
When it comes to setting mixture and stuff i have absolutely no idea, the only reason mine ever went wrong was when the choke cable slipped so i just set the cable back right and it seems to run OK.
Good luck anyway...

#6 Badger

Badger

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

Hi Cowboy,

I had a similar problem a long time ago. I had fiited new jets etc on a twin carb set up but only one carb would work, unless you put a hand over the inlet trumpet of the other one. What had happened was that when I had tightened the supply pipe nut at the float chamber, the pipe had twisted inside the coiled wire cover and thus restricted the flow of fuel.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers,

Nick

#7 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:43 PM

cheers for that badger i will have a look at that, carb and head are off at the moment, blew the headgasget :sad: so i will check that and the gaskets, i have new ones to put on when carb goes back on. will let you know.

siggy, no it wasn't running properly before i rebuilt the carb, i wouldn't have rebuilt the carb otherwise :grin: :) but i was an exellant point normally overlooked, when working on something. how was it before you started? :smartass: :)

#8 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

timing is too advanced, set its to about 5deg and then try it :)

Karl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users