#1 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hi all

Ive taken bertie to a couple of paint places round my way and they have told me the paint is suffering from micro blisters.

So now i need to take it to bare metal to do the respray but have been told that if all the panels are full of filler this will all need sorting? Please could someone advise me on what i will need to do to get it all sorted? Im planning on doing it all myself then giving the car to the paint shop for them to prime and then paint. Im just worried that after taking the paint off that i have opened a tin of worms and it will all get to expensive. Ive never done anything like this before but whant it to be done so this blistering thing wont happen again. The car will kept in a garage and only used in the dry/weekends and only see water when it gets cleaned anyway.

Please help a totally confused mini dreamer!! :lol: :lol: :sad:

Johnny

#2 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

If you’ve never done any body work before then you’ll be best of paying a professional to do it for you. Simply because your repairs might not be good enough and the body shop will have to redo them.

#3 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

Am i likely to have to do any repair work? Stripping the paint is only a matter of brushing automobile nitromors over the car? The blistering is on every panel apart from the doors so far.

Does that nitromors take the car back to bare metal?

Johnny

#4 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

It will take a few goes but yes it will strip back to bare metal

#5 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

and it does affect filler too so yes u will proberly need to sort out a few repairs, i also use awirebrush attachment in the anglegrinder to strip the paint off but this does make a bit of noise

dave

#6 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

What i cant understand is if the car body looks good before removing the paint (no rust/dents etc) why i cant just remove the paint all the way and re prime the car for spraying? Or am i missing out a process?? :blink:

Johnny

#7 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

The body might look ok, but it’s what’s under the paint that matters here.

Your car could be full of filler and nitromours is going to affect the filler, so your going to have to refill the areas that have been affected.

#8 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

Being that i want to keep costs down and ive never done any filler work before, may it be cheaper to get new panels? There isnt any rust spots on the car but when i had some stone chips on the door done, they said it was full of filler. So can i get new skins for that for example?

Thanks for all the help

Johnny

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

You could get new skins fitted , but to have them fitted profesionaly would be about £100 a door
If the filler is over holes then yes skins would be the best bet as it wont be long before the hole is back
or secondhand doors (but these may be full of filler !)
if the filler is just in dents and the door is sound it would be better to strip back to bare metal and re-filler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users