More shenanigans have gone on in the past few days: I finally managed to get hold of the correct fan sender switch for the radiator - a proper "New Old Stock" piece so spend 12 seconds fitting that, then decided to drag the alloy wheels out to give them a once over. Of course they were filthy, covered in dust, dirt, overspray and spiders' webs. I also got the pressure washer out so gave them all a good blast. Now, the initial plan was to get them blasted, but as funds are tight I am not sure that they need it as they look like they're in quite good condition bar the overspray. A few hours with some wet & dry and they might be good for a fresh coat of paint. What do people think?
I then got back to the wiper motor. My new park switch had arrived so I could get back to putting everything back together. On went the new switch, followed by the motor itself, and I then sorted the wheel and greased up the rack and the innards. All is ready to go into the car now. One thing I could never stand was the way Minis had a piece of foam where the wiper motor sat, happily taking on water so it could start rusting through the bulkhead. Although that's not an issue here, wet foam looks rubbish once it's got wet, so I will be using some rubber drawer liner which I have kicking about. Fold it over and there's plenty of cushioning - a nice pad for the motor to sit on. I should be able to install it once I find the strap. I have made a modification to this as well, but that will have to wait until next time...
New fan switch installed. Fits beautifully.
Dirty wheels about to pressure washed
And drying off in the sun. They don't look too bad.
Old switch, new switch. No prizes for guessing which one I used.
Motor and cam wheel installed
All greased up
New pad for the motor to rest on
And the finished product. I just need to find the strap now so I can fit it...