132 replies to this topic

#16 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Im guessing the colour under the bonnet is russet brown (or something like that) so i'm guessing that the car has be re-sprayed at some point.
Are you re-fitting the supercharger kit?

Yeah the car has had a respray in the past but I'm not keen on the green colour. I quite like the colour under the bonnet so will probably repaint it in that as it's a nice retro colour :)

Yeah I'm going to fit the supercharger kit. It's new and never actually been fitted to the car. The previous owner took the head off to fit the decompression plate and that was as far as he got. It spent the next few years under the bench in his workshop.

#17 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:09 AM

Got a bit more on the engine done tonight. I gave the head and studs a good clean up and I fitted the decompression plate and gaskets and fitted the head. It's starting to look a bit like an engine now. Also fitted the supercharger and inlet so it shouldn't be long now until it's running :-)

SAM_1876_zps534e5dac.jpg

I had a good old prod round inside the Mini tonight but this time I had a torch and wasn't too keen on what I saw.

SAM_1784_zpscf11a7b9.jpg

SAM_1783_zpsa54117ef.jpg

SAM_1785_zpse5eb6065.jpg

SAM_1786_zpsa90603be.jpg

SAM_1787_zpsdb74762f.jpg

SAM_1788_zps4c6592be.jpg

Looks like I'm going to need to sort out more rust than I first thought. I've only welded once before so I'm not really looking forward to it too much. The way I see it though is, if others can do it then there's no reason why I cant (except for the lack of welder, skill, confidence....) :lol:

Wish me luck, I hope saving a 1275GT is worth the hassle

Cheers, Dave :-)

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#18 BusheyTrader

BusheyTrader

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Local Club: Nope

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

The way I see it though is, if others can do it then there's no reason why I cant (except for the lack of welder, skill, confidence....) :lol:

Good for you Dave. I'm doing the same..........

My Spi's pretty rotten but there's nothing on it that hasn't been tackled by someone else on this forum before. It's just so hands on.

Adam

#19 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

Dave I'm loving this - though I may have to steal your supercharger. I want it more :lol:

I think the colour you have there is Reynard Metallic (BLVC112). I could be wrong though.

#20 Nick04

Nick04

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

This could be a great car!!! :0)

#21 _mini1000_

_mini1000_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think the colour you have there is Reynard Metallic (BLVC112). I could be wrong though.

i would agree with this
russet brown is darker and more brown than orange and doesnt have that metalic look to it
will be keeping an eye on this one!

#22 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Love this car! A 1275 is definitely worth saving! From the pictures, it looks like all the main bits are present - even the indicators which are rarer than hens teeth.

Don't worry - every mini owner seems to get more rust than they bargained for. ;) Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

Edited by rich2, 21 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#23 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

That boot floor looks nice! The only advice i can give with regards it is do as rich2 has and if the budget can streach buy a boot floor. I've patched mine and even though i've gotten a fair amount of satisfaction out of it i spent far far too much time on it. If i could do it again i would buy a new floor!!

#24 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

nice lookin project there man good luck with it! :proud:

#25 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

Small update time :-)

I've not had much spare time lately but managed to spend a couple of hours on Friday fitting a few bits to the engine. The engine now has the modified timing cover fitted with the breather removed to clear the charger belt. Thats been fitted along with the water pump, bottom pulley, L/H engine mount and R/H engine steady. I also fitted a couple of new manifold studs as 2 of the old ones had gone missing.

SAM_1876_zps534e5dac.jpg

SAM_1808_zps17ddc568.jpg

I seem to be having an issue with the brake pipe union on the right hand side of the picture as it's fouling the supercharger belt, I guess it just needs moving along about an inch though.

Looking forward to hearing it running now :-)

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#26 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

I can't believe today was the first time that I've been down to the workshop since November. Unfortunately it wasn't to work on the Mini as such, just to get it mobile as My Friend has lost the workshop due to someone offering the owners more money per month for it :(

Anyway the long and short of it is the Mini is Tomorrow being transported to my Parents house. A major plus side of this is it will only be 1 minute down the road from me, which means I'll be spending a lot more time working on it :-)

Just need to finish clearing a space in the garage for it now.

Lots of updates soon I hope.

#27 malcs_miniturbo

malcs_miniturbo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

nice project mate :shades:

#28 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

nice project mate :shades:

The Mini is now 'safe' and sound in my Parents driveway. All I need to do now is get it into the Garage but unfortunately there is a 205 bare shell in the way at the moment so the Min is gonna have to sit out in all weather for at least a week :(

#29 SamMayfair1996

SamMayfair1996

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Any updates? I like the look of this, and personally I think the Java Green on it at the moment is pretty retro as it is.

Im desperately looking for a grille like yours for my clubby estate as I like the leyland badge and im also pretty sure mine is wrong to the year...

Oh well, good luck :)

#30 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Any updates? I like the look of this, and personally I think the Java Green on it at the moment is pretty retro as it is.

Im desperately looking for a grille like yours for my clubby estate as I like the leyland badge and im also pretty sure mine is wrong to the year...

Oh well, good luck :)

Thanks. Not much of an update as I still need to get the 205 shell moved so I can get the Mini into the garage to start work. I'm really not keen on the Green, I want something metallic really.

Have a look for the Grille on eBay as there always seems to be loads on there.

Well like I said not too much of an update. I've just been collecting a few retro bits and bobs off eBay while I'm unable to do any real work on the car.

I've decided to have pretty much everything on the car to be from the 70's and early 80's as I want it to be like stepping back in time when you enter the car. A few of the bits that I've bought so far-

images6_zpse138b3dc.jpg
This cost me 99p. Should look ok after a recover.

I decided no 70's experience would be complete without one of these-

images7_zps7f0bc198.jpg
A near mint 8 track player with 27 cartridges.

Or one of these-

SAM_2849_zps0fe4b001.jpg

Went and picked this up today as the Mini didn't come with one and I'll probably need one eventually-

images8_zpsb8402473.jpg
70's interior, another eBay bargain at £50.

And last but not least a lovely set of these-

T2eC16N0E9s37E2DBRb9fV-jg60_35_zpse8d5f6
Set of Rostyle steel wheels £10 each off eBay.

Still waiting on getting a welder, shouldn't be too long, honest :D

Thanks for looking, Dave.

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users