#31 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

looking good mate, am i right in saying that for your brakes you have 2 t-pieces on the bulkhead and a pipe going to each of the rear wheels? its a system that was only ever fitted on 1978 minis cus they ran out of the brake limiting valves so they fitted smaller bore rear brake cylinders, if your refurbing the brakes just change it for the single line system with the limiting valve or make sure you keep the original rear wheel cylinders
i missed my mot date cus of this as i had fitted the standard 19mm bore brake cylinders and the rear wheels would lock up

good luck and keep it up :-)

#32 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

looking good mate, am i right in saying that for your brakes you have 2 t-pieces on the bulkhead and a pipe going to each of the rear wheels? its a system that was only ever fitted on 1978 minis cus they ran out of the brake limiting valves so they fitted smaller bore rear brake cylinders, if your refurbing the brakes just change it for the single line system with the limiting valve or make sure you keep the original rear wheel cylinders
i missed my mot date cus of this as i had fitted the standard 19mm bore brake cylinders and the rear wheels would lock up

good luck and keep it up :-)

That's very interesting. Yes it has 2 T-pieces on the bulk head, one of which is in the way of the Supercharger belt. I'll look for some info on the single line system and limiting valves.

Thanks for the tip :-)

#33 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Good looking project. 1275GT's are getting rare now after coopers. I like the idea of keeping it 70's. Good luck.

#34 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Good looking project. 1275GT's are getting rare now after coopers. I like the idea of keeping it 70's. Good luck.

Thank Mate, I've had a read of your projects, pretty full on :-)

A month or so ago I bought an Interior from a Guy on eBay. The interior was in pretty good nick apart from the drivers seat that had a couple or tears on the base-

A week or so passed and I found this beauty on eBay. It's a brand new genuine base cover-

images4_zps7452df66.jpg

images5_zpsdd679c9c.jpg

Just need to have a go at recovering the base now but I wont be doing it just yet as I have another issue. The seats are out of an early 70's Mini and mine is a late 70's Mini. This means the seats don't have the catch underneath to clip them down to the floor. The plan is to buy some later seats and to recover them in the early covers, just need to wait for some to come up for sale fairly local now.

Dave :-)

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#35 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Small update.

I was never too happy with the suckthrough supercharger idea due to icing up and excessive fuel consumption, so I started looking into blowthrough. A little bit of research later and I've bought one of these-

SAM_2873_zps202a2265.jpg

It's a HIF44 from a Metro Turbo engine. I will be doing a rebuild on it shortly and I'll also be keeping my eyes peeled for a plenum. The plan is to build some brackets to mount the charger at the front of the engine, hopefully with the alternator driven by the waterpump drive on the charger. I will then incorporate an intercooler into the setup to aid intake temperatures.

No bodywork updates yet as I still don't have a welder :-)

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#36 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Time for a bit of an update.

Well I've finally managed to get the bare 205 shell mobile and moved it out of the way of the garage. 10 tip runs later and the garage has been sorted and cleaned out and is ready for the Mini to move in. I've also bought a new Mig welder and 200 ltr compressor and various other bits and bobs that will help with the overhaul of the Min. All I need to do now is get a electrician in to check over the electrics in the garage and make sure they're up to the job of powering the welder.

Anther small update. Remember these Rostyle steel wheels?

T2eC16N0E9s37E2DBRb9fV-jg60_35_zpse8d5f6

Well here they are now after a trip down to Weldfab in Chichester-

SAM_3230_zpse51a8463.jpg

SAM_3227_zps908ab2d7.jpg

SAM_3226_zps1c033d3a.jpg

SAM_3233_zpsd7f71d6a.jpg

SAM_3229_zps65ef1fb6.jpg

SAM_3234_zpsda1b8814.jpg

They've been banded!

They've had a 2.5" band added to them to bring them up to the same size and offset as the 13 x 7 Minilites that I decided not to use.

I'm more than happy with the quality of work and service and can't recommend Stuart at Weldfab enough.

So that's the update for now. I'll be back soon with a few photos after I've had the wheels shot blasted and painted.

Thanks for looking, Dave :-)

Edited by Daviewonder, 31 May 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#37 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

any progress on this mate? looks like it was coming along nicely ... supercharger... banded steelies... two things i can only dream of having on mine  :D

#38 sherly

sherly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

It was only the other day that I thought to myself......"I wonder if you can band Rostyle wheels" 

Guess there's my answer - kin' awesome!  Looking forward to seeing them finished - might have to invest in a set myself! :)

#39 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

any progress on this mate? looks like it was coming along nicely ... supercharger... banded steelies... two things i can only dream of having on mine  :D

Thanks. No actual progress on the car yet. I've been collecting up a few bits though. I've sourced a replacement roof panel and boot lid recently. I hope to crack on with it over the winter :)

It was only the other day that I thought to myself......"I wonder if you can band Rostyle wheels" 

Guess there's my answer - kin' awesome!  Looking forward to seeing them finished - might have to invest in a set myself! :)

Cheers. I was more than pleased with them. Should be quite a unique size Rostyle to have on a Mini. Should look good once they're painted with chrome trims and centre caps :)

#40 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

just to further my previous post on the brake set up you have currently got, for your own sanitys sake i fully recommend changing it as ive had it a year in now and ive had nothing but problems

i think ive had about 3months in all without a problem with them

#41 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Ah thanks for the tip off   :-)

What sort of issues have you been having?

#42 cossiemark

cossiemark

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

nice project any further progress?

#43 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

nice project any further progress?

Thanks. Not as yet mate. I've collected up quite a few bits but I've not managed to do anything on the actual car for ages. I've been doing my 205 lately but as soon as that's done I hope to start the Mini :)

#44 72gt

72gt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thank Mate, I've had a read of your projects, pretty full on :-)

A month or so ago I bought an Interior from a Guy on eBay. The interior was in pretty good nick apart from the drivers seat that had a couple or tears on the base-

A week or so passed and I found this beauty on eBay. It's a brand new genuine base cover-

KGrHqRoFMn7czgpBQQ7Nk5eg60_12_zps9f93914

KGrHqNp0FI6KcVsvBQQ7Nru7g60_12_zpsd2a515

Just need to have a go at recovering the base now but I wont be doing it just yet as I have another issue. The seats are out of an early 70's Mini and mine is a late 70's Mini. This means the seats don't have the catch underneath to clip them down to the floor. The plan is to buy some later seats and to recover them in the early covers, just need to wait for some to come up for sale fairly local now.

Dave :-)

Dave,if you ever decide not to use the lime flower seat base cover,gimme a shout ? would be interested,ta.

#45 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'll swap it for a biscuit colour seat base as I found out after that's actually the colour of my interior  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users