3 replies to this topic

#1 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:39 AM

the injection unit on my post october 96' is causing me problemos, the engine doesn't want to tick over, to sort this out i take the stepper motor out, give it a good clean, and a spray with the WD40 chuck it back in, and all is fine. until a few weeks later when it fails to tick over again!!! does anybody know what is going on with it??

could i just pull off the 'moving' parts on the stepper motor so the pipe is always open?

shall i just adjust the throttle cable screw to just slightly open the throttle so it ticks over? but would the ECU spot this, and account for it?

buy a new stepper motor?

keep taking off the stepper motor and cleaning it?

It is the twin point injection model, with the radiator at the front of the car i don't really want to go to extreme measures ie, changing it back to carb, as i know alot of people are anti injection!

any help peeps!!
Rich.

#2 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:18 PM

Just out of interest what is a stepper motor??
Sorry can't help you mate, know absoluteley nothing about injection cars, i'm sure someone on here will....

#3 siggy

siggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

A stepper motor is an electric motor that controls the idle speed and is controlled by the ECU.

First all my EFi knowedge is ford not rover, but the principals are same(ish)

Adjusting the cable is a bad idea. The stepper motor system by passes the butterfly. It can give you missfires and general running problems

Do you just clean the stepper motor or the 'insides' as well?

What is the oil consumption, burning any?

Check halfords for a tin of liquid decoke.

Siggy

#4 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:33 PM

The stepper motor is a small thing type unit that opens/closes one of the main pipes on the injection unit.. not entirely sure what it does.. i know it is buggered tho!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users