32 replies to this topic

#31 Andrew22-10

Andrew22-10

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

i checked all the ignition related stuff, the head was skimmed before it was refitted, i have no idea why it blew. i hope it isnt the rings, the bores were fine when i took the head off (all pistons were in the center of the cylinders) how would i check the rings without removing them.

#32 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

I would like to suggest that you start a new thread more focused on the problem you are dealing with.  This thread was started years ago with a title focusing on the firing order which is not the issue you are dealing with.  A new thread with a new title may get fresh eyes looking at your car's problem.

As for checking the rings, that is typically done by making a new set of compression readings.  Ideally the engine would be warm but with a non-runner you do the test cold.  Make sure the throttle is held wide open.  After the compression test, remove the spark plugs and one at a time tip a table spoon of motor oil in through the spark plug hole.  Repeat the compression test.  Compare the "dry" and "wet" test readings for each cylinder.  If you see a temporary and significant rise in the compression figures with oil, you have blow by issues associate with worn rings and bores.

An alternative to the compression test is to do a leak down test.  That requires that you have a leak down gauge and a source of compressed air.  If you don't already have a leak down tester you may be able to find someone who can help you carry out the tests and explain the outcome.

#33 Andrew22-10

Andrew22-10

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

i will start a new thread. i have tried the oil test before and it made no difference. thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users