3 replies to this topic

#1 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:41 PM

yesterday for the first time i drove my little mini off my drive way (still cannot get the brakes workin, any help on them would be greatly appreciated) went to drive it up the road, there was an almighty bang, and then a bang everytime the wheels rotated the same amount! we came to the comclusion that the new diff i fitted has destroyed itself along with the gearbox! (this was reached by finding most of the teeth off the diff in the oil!!!! literally a handfull of metal bits in the oil !!!)
i ripped the engine out with a mate (1 hour and 20 mins start to finish, only second engine removal!!!!!) now i do not have a diff or box i can use, so i am in desperate need of a new engine, but i have a metro turbo engine in bits in my garage and a real healthy a+ 1275 motor, i want to know if i put the turbo stuff onto the 1275 block (eg, the inlet, turbo, carb, plenum, diff, box and head) would it work and hold together???
does anyone have a turbo bulkhead box they are sellin, and want to get rif real quick, because i want the conversion done in a week!
please help me with this, i am desperate now.

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:22 PM

The answer to your question is yes, you can Turbo your 1275 A+ engine.
You'll need to make sure it's one of the lower compression units though & not a normally aspirated MG unit which had a higher compression {10.5-1}.
Also it's not just a case of modifying the bulkhead to accomodate the Turbo engine you'll also need to sort out a regulator + fuel return to the tank, mount the fuel pump + a bigger feed from the tank and loads of other small jobs.
You'll need a decent radiator, a Turbo downpipe & clamp + suitable exhaust, it's also worth adding extra engine steadies.
A Turbo conversion is not a job to rush, think things through or you'll end up with a load of problems.
Hope this is some use.

Phil. :grin:

#3 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

how can i tell if its lower comp?? could i put my turbo pistons in it with the rings from the a+ unit? that would lower the compression rite?
i know about the fueling stuff, the downpipe is now a problem because i can now weld and have loads of stainless pipe at my disposal, is the fuel return just plumbed into the tank anywhere?
what fuel pump would u suggest i use?

#4 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:51 PM

The fuel return needs to be at the top of the tank somewhere.
You need to use a high pressure fuel pump, the Metro Turbo one produces 36psi, a pump from a MPI should be suitable.

Phil. :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users