8 replies to this topic

#1 exscousedave

exscousedave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:26 PM

Got some surface rust coming through just under the headlights that I want to get rid of. So the thought was rub it down and / or wire brush it, treat with some sort of de-rusting agent, prime and re-spray. Whats the best sort of de-ruster on he market - I've used kurust in the past - is there anything better any thoughts?

Dave

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

por15. get it from www.frost.co.uk

#3 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:08 AM

Yip Por 15... excellent stuff, have a look at the fuel tank of my clubby estate

I treated the new fuel tank with por15 metal ready

Clicky

and then coated it in clear rust preventer Clicky..

When I replaced the rear valance panels they were also treated with por 15, it has to go onto bare metal.. There will probably be other things out there but I really rate their stuff and have used it for years

Attached Files

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

The one thing I've never been too sure about is this...You've cut out the rotten metal, metal a new peice/panel in. Do you paint the whole panel with POR15 and overlap it on to the existing paint and then blend in top coat over that, or do you have to key an area of paint for the POR15 to hold?

#5 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

The way i do it is to make the repairs and sand the surrounding areas ready to fill/blend

You then cover any Bare/exposed metal with POR15, It is a solution, water like, you just brush it over the metal and it will etch into the metal itself and acts like an etch primer coat...

Leave it for about 20 mins.. re-covering it with more POR15 if you need to (You have to keep it wet)

Then you wash it off with water..

Dry the panel and spray etch primer or primer onto it and skim/paint the panel..

Putting POR15 onto paint will not have any benefit as it is designed to coat bare metal, unless it is in contact with bare metal then zinc effect wont work

Hope that makes sense

Shaz

#6 exscousedave

exscousedave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice and the links.

Dave

#7 pistin broke

pistin broke

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: crewes missiles (bring it on)

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

i agree got my first lot today and used it on some panels that have started getting surface rust on them . it just brings them up like new. But didnt know you should wash of with water will i have to wet it again or can you primer over it :lol:

#8 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

you need to make sure it's clean and dry before primer. The wash is to take off any excess chemicals that the treatment may have left behind.

#9 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

The reason you have to wash it is exactally as mentioned above, it cleans off excess chemicals, these can turn into a bit of a sticky sort of film..

But if you have not washed it off, just use some thinners or similar and give the panels a really good clean to make sure it is all gone..

Idea is you do nt want to sand it off .. when you prime and fill etc, if at any point you rub through to bare metal, just give it a quick coat, leave a few mins and clean off..

Cheers
Shaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users