#1 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Has anyone had any experiences with the engine steady that Minispares sell which bolts to the waterpump? It says on their website that it "fits all minis including MPi" yet me and a friend tried fitting one last night and couldn't because of the bypass hose. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? All I could think of would be to weld an extension onto the bracket so that it clears but I don't know if the stabiliser bar would adjust that far. Conventional ultimate engine steady is not really an option due to the 'stat housing having a sandwich plate.

Cheers,
Ben

http://www.minispare...id=40991&title=

#2 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

Bump! :)

#3 liam1288

liam1288

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

minispares do do an ultimate engine steady for spi and mpi for use with the sandwich plate... looks kind of similar to the standard ones but a little bigger and longer pole in the middle. its about 28 excluding vat. was going to buy it yesterday but you need to drill another hole in the bulckhead i think...i dont know why its not on their site but moss europe do one to the rad too, apparently that fits all minis (dont know though) but thats a bit more money...

#4 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like a possibility - why do you need to drill another hole in the bulkhead though? The other one wouldn't work because the mini has been converted to use the metro rad so is therefore front mounted.
Cheers,
Ben

#5 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

I too have had a problem fitting one of these, here is a pic to explain the problem...
Posted Image

Sorry to hi jack a bit :P

#6 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Why do you need this extra bit of hardware - the standard arm is perfectly adequate if fitted with poly bushes at ONE end..........

#7 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Why do you need this extra bit of hardware - the standard arm is perfectly adequate if fitted with poly bushes at ONE end..........

which end??

#8 Duncy H

Duncy H

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

My engine still rocks with good poly bushes in slightly, with a poor quality manifild/y-piece the seal is hard to maintain. So with the extra stabiliser I hoped it would cut down on it and get rid of the problem.

#9 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone had any experiences with the engine steady that Minispares sell which bolts to the waterpump? It says on their website that it "fits all minis including MPi" yet me and a friend tried fitting one last night and couldn't because of the bypass hose. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? All I could think of would be to weld an extension onto the bracket so that it clears but I don't know if the stabiliser bar would adjust that far. Conventional ultimate engine steady is not really an option due to the 'stat housing having a sandwich plate.

Cheers,
Ben

Just done a search and found this as I'm thinking of this type of water pump engine steady . What's the issue with the bypass hose ? Wondering if I'm better getting this sort of engine steady for my car

http://www.minispare...c/MSSK1301.aspx

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

Cheers,
Ben

Just done a search and found this as I'm thinking of this type of water pump engine steady . What's the issue with the bypass hose ? Wondering if I'm better getting this sort of engine steady for my car

look at the DSN retrosport stabilisers. so much better than any of these bolt on things.

#11 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

Cheers,
Ben

look at the DSN retrosport stabilisers. so much better than any of these bolt on things.

Well above my budget . I don't understand your comment about bolt on things surley the DSN one bolts on ?

#12 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

just buy the 2 stabilzors that fit to the gearbox on to the subframe left and right

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

the DSN one is part of the thermostat. so the loading goes into the bottom of the mountings. all the others go in at the top of the mountings. and can cause leaks. and they are a pain in the to work around. but they were the best we could get 30 years ago and they were crap then and still are.they always make more work than needed.

#14 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

just buy the 2 stabilzors that fit to the gearbox on to the subframe left and right

So I take it they work! Do you still retain the engine stabilizer that goes to the front of the subframe from the clutch side ?

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:41 AM

An MPI with a water pump by-pass hose?   Errrr,,,,,,ummmm,,,   I don't think so.

The Aussie Minis and Mokes had a factory one that fitted under the thermostat housing. The engine side of these is brill, but the way the executed the body side made them almost useless but easily improved upon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users