#16 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:58 AM

An MPI with a water pump by-pass hose?   Errrr,,,,,,ummmm,,,   .

No one's said anything about an Mpi having a bypass.
I'm asking as my my car is one of the last carb 1275 cars with a bypass hose . I'm wondering why the water pump steady won't fit a car with a bypass hose.

#17 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

Has anyone had any experiences with the engine steady that Minispares sell which bolts to the waterpump? It says on their website that it "fits all minis including MPi" yet me and a friend tried fitting one last night and couldn't because of the bypass hose.

It does say on Mini Spares website "fits all cars without a bypass hose"

#18 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

Has anyone had any experiences with the engine steady that Minispares sell which bolts to the waterpump? It says on their website that it "fits all minis including MPi" yet me and a friend tried fitting one last night and couldn't because of the bypass hose.

It does say on Mini Spares website "fits all cars without a bypass hose"

But that's what I'm trying to find out why doesn't it fit? What is it about the bypass hose that stops it fitting.

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

just buy the 2 stabilzors that fit to the gearbox on to the subframe left and right

So I take it they work! Do you still retain the engine stabilizer that goes to the front of the subframe from the clutch side ?

the gearbox ones do very little to stop rock. but do take the shear load off the engine mounts by helping keep the bottom in the right place.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

An MPI with a water pump by-pass hose?   Errrr,,,,,,ummmm,,,   .

No one's said anything about an Mpi having a bypass.
I'm asking as my my car is one of the last carb 1275 cars with a bypass hose . I'm wondering why the water pump steady won't fit a car with a bypass hose.

as I think the dog bone end is mounted in that area.

#21 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

The bolt through the end of the stabiliser rod and into the plate protrudes through to where the bypass hose is.
They can be made to fit with some modifying, but not straight out of the packet.

#22 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

I bought one of these for my new 1275 build because I'm annoyed by the rock of the current 998 even with fairly new rubbers. In addition to the thermostat housing studs it also shares an exhaust manifold stud so shouldn't put too much strain on either.
BuvhqE7.jpg
The finish left something to be desired so I resprayed mine.

#23 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

and the first time you want to do something to the engine you will be cussing.

#24 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:27 PM

The bolt through the end of the stabiliser rod and into the plate protrudes through to where the bypass hose is.
They can be made to fit with some modifying, but not straight out of the packet.

So the bolt for the stabilizer arm is in the void where the bypass hose would be so if you have a bypass hose there's no where for the bolt head to sit ?

#25 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

I bought one of these for my new 1275 build because I'm annoyed by the rock of the current 998 even with fairly new rubbers. In addition to the thermostat housing studs it also shares an exhaust manifold stud so shouldn't put too much strain on either.BuvhqE7.jpgThe finish left something to be desired so I resprayed mine.

Looks a tidy engine you've built there

#26 JonC

JonC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Newbie question here. Why do we need extra stabilisers? Obvs it controls engine rocking a bit better but is this a problem area?

#27 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Newbie question here. Why do we need extra stabilisers? Obvs it controls engine rocking a bit better but is this a problem area?

simple question you dont.

BUT if you have modded the engine to give  a bit more power you can find things failing or not lasting as long. this can result in excessive engine movement.

as standard there have been a total of 4 engine stabilisers produced by the UK factories over the years. the upper mount and 3 lower ones. one of these was forward facing supposed to be balanced with the upper one the subframe mount often failed. then there were two rear facing ones (one each side of the gearbox) on their own they dont do much to stop engine rocking. (they are in single sheer and are too close to the pivot points) but they do help keep the bottom in the right place. in Aus. they did do a engine mount that went on the thermostat side.

problems. people not mounting top bracket correctly. people using poor materials for the bush. people ignoring a knocking noise. use quality rubber parts and you will be fine.

#28 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

So the bolt for the stabilizer arm is in the void where the bypass hose would be so if you have a bypass hose there's no where for the bolt head to sit ?

Not the head, the other end.

The bolt goes through the end of the bar (single shear) then through the plate and finally threaded into a captive nut on the engine side of the plate - thats about where the bypass hose is. So any bolt poking through (and there should be some for correct thread engagement) and it would start to push into the bypass hose.

#29 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

and the first time you want to do something to the engine you will be cussing.

I think that's true of a Mini engine with nothing attached to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users