#16 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Cheers madboy, thanks for the interest.

Hi Graham, yes don't worry, any rot if anything worse than just surface rust has been cut out and replaced with new panels or a repair. The inner sills will be, or should I say, have been replaced as these posts are currently a year behind. I should have started this topic earlier but just never got around to it.

Thanks hugh, that panel was made simply by laying the metal on the stepped edge of a vice, and knocking the edge down into the step. I didn't have a joggler at the time but the vice did the job a treat!

Here are the pictures of the completed door step.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I spot welded the seams of the A post. Much quicker and neater than MIG welding and looks more original. Not that you'll see them when the seals are on!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats the drivers door step done. Thanks for looking.

#17 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

Looking at the quality of your work I shouldn't have worried, lol. Nice doorstep repair too.

Graham

#18 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

Another super repair. Graham and I can empathise with you so much!!! You've got a lot more to repair than us, though. Thanks for your reply, you make it sound easy but we know it isn't.
All the best
Hugh

#19 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Another update and the passengers side wasn't much better! In fact you could get a football through the hole in the passengers footwell!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another repair piece was made for the passengers side and welded in at the bottom of the inner A post.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New door step welded in at either end and spot welded down the A post seam.

#20 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

This is turning into an epic restoration job, #nice work given the amount of brown stuff you have to contend with.

Graham

#21 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Graham, I agree! So far all the panels I have ordered are the same as my previous mini, except this one also needs a roof. Graham, I started reading your project last night but only got to page 4! Its gonna take a while!

Anyway with the shell on its side, I could see exactly what horrors had gone on through the years. Patches had been welded over all of the slinging brakets and it had also been treated to a pair of over sills! After removing the drivers side over sill, the damage to the inner sills could be seen - lots of rust!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

Another update. With the nasty over sill removed, I cut the complete inner sill / floor out to between the first and second grooves and removed the drivers side half of the heal board. With the floor out, I took the opportunity to repair the lower corner of the drivers side rear quarter panel, just forward of the rear wheel. Two repair sections were made and welded in and then ground to a smooth finish on the inside and outside, with final adjustments with a body hammer and dolly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will add the pictures of the replacement floor section in the next few days. Having a few issues with uploading them at the moment since the last Adobe Flash update.

Thanks.

#23 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Very, very nice repair

Hugh

#24 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Hugh. I've been reading through your project thread over the last few days. I've nearly got to the most recent page, think i'm at page 20, just slow down so i can catch up!!

#25 madboy

madboy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

love the fab work :highfive: , judging by the old welds on that repair patch, pigions can fly up side down :lol:

#26 123grosso

123grosso

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Looks good, loving the quality of the work

#27 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thanks madboy, I agree about that welding! Think they must have used an arc welder with no previous experience to get a finish like that! Don't know why they patched over the slinging brakets at the back as they were still there underneath. Perhaps a preventative measure to stop water and mud getting trapped and creating corrosion spots. Didn't work too well though did it!

Thanks 123grosso, I appreciate the comments.

More to come soon.

#28 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Great to see another one being brought back to life!

keep up the good work! some great welding going on here!

Ed

#29 minifcd

minifcd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Ed. Now, more photos of repair to drivers side inner sill and for this I used an M-machine panel 11.31.04.38 for RH side. An excellent panel which I have used before on my first mini and around £100 pounds less than a Heritage part. Only downside is the primer used on it flakes off easily, so removed all primer back to bare metal and reprimed with etch primer.

Trial fitting the panel.
Posted Image

The companion box closing panel was removed from the original sill and cleaned back to bare metal. Only rusted at the rear end so trimed this shorter as not all needed and primed. With the floor panel clamped in place, the closing panel was lined up and clamped. The floor was then removed to spot weld together.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the floor refitted welding began.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The rear subframe was temporarily refitted to locate and weld the heal board. This was a complete Heritage heal board HMP441008, which I cut in half to help keep floor square, by only doing half at a time and to aid correct location of the subframe mounting points.
Posted Image

Finally spot welded the inner sill/floor to the door step.
Posted Image

Thanks for looking.

#30 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wow!! How can you do so much at a time!! That's about two months work there!! Great - very interesting repair.

Hugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users