42 replies to this topic

#31 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Because the Cooper S brakes cost £300+ and is a lot more work then just fitting a new set of wheels.

Still not sure why spacers are such a problem, especially if you're fitting them to a Mini that's already had the mods for heavy 13s.

#32 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'd rather be satisfied with the work I've done and pay the money for a brake setup which isnt grinded instead of doing a bodge!

But that's just me.

#33 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

I want to play devils advocate and say it is less safer on the long studs than on the wheel bearings. Physics of lever here. :-
(But teenies - how much they weigh? 6/7kgs with the tyres?)

#34 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

I'd rather be satisfied with the work I've done and pay the money for a brake setup which isnt grinded instead of doing a bodge!

But that's just me.

I totally agree. I cannot seem to edit my post (#27), but this was referring to the 10's with the built in spacer as per Mini Magic's old mini; not weller's with a grinded caliper. I would not want to be grinding my calipers.

#35 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

It's not the spacer in and of itself that's the problem. So long as you use correct legth wheel studs of the proper material and the proper nuts and torque them up correctly then there is no more problem with a spacer than without. The problems come with the resulting offset that you give the wheel.

Draw an imaginary line through the top and bottom ball-joints and project it downwards. On most cars it will hit the ground around the centre of the tyre's contact patch. This means that when you turn the wheel it is spinning about it's centre on that pivot point and the resistance is as small as possible. With 13x7 or 13x8 or whatever size wheels you try to keep this situation the same. OK with a wider wheel you add a little resistance either side of the centre-line and up the stress on the components but not by a huge amount as you are still simply spinning the tyre about that contact patch.

Now add a 1" spacer. That moves the entire contact patch 1" further out from that pivot point. THAT is what puts all the stress on the components. The tyre is now turning about a point almost on it's edge. In order to turn one way or another the whole thing has to move forwards or backwards as well as scrubbing sideways. So you're thinking that moving forwards or backwards is easy for a round thing? Try it with 30 horsepower trying to push it the opposite direction - or has your Mini got more power than that? (yes really it's the ft/lbs that matter here but most people think in terms of horsepower so for simplicity of the example I used the wrong term).

Iain

#36 jimmyH

jimmyH

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

No spacers or built in, just a massive offset, right over my MPI 8.4's. They pull around abit on the hills, but look pretty good i think ..... oh and hold the road damn well too ...

But i can understand and feel the extra stresses put on the suspension components.. however the next will have to be wider similar wheels put over smaller brakes ... with a less excessive offset.

Posted Image

Edited by jimmyH, 09 September 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#37 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

No spacers or built in, just a massive offset, right over my MPI 8.4's. They pull around abit on the hills, but look pretty good i think ..... oh and hold the road damn well too ...

But i can understand and feel the extra stresses put on the suspension components.. however the next will have to be wider similar wheels put over smaller brakes ... with a less excessive offset.

Posted Image

Are they the newer alloy version?

#38 jimmyH

jimmyH

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Could quite possibly be, not sure, bought them off a chap here.

#39 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

You should be able to tell if their steel or alloy easily enough

#40 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Because the Cooper S brakes cost £300+ and is a lot more work then just fitting a new set of wheels.

Wrong....

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=42536&title=

and with a TMF+ discount brings a lot closer to £200

#41 jimmyH

jimmyH

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Well where the paint has scratched off it does not seem to rust, a silvery metal with a rough surface, so probably alloy..

#42 feargal kerr

feargal kerr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Dunno?

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Wrong....

http://www.minispare...id=42536&title=

and with a TMF+ discount brings a lot closer to £200

#43 feargal kerr

feargal kerr

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Dunno?

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I've got the metro vented discs and callipers set up on my mini but I want to put 10inch wide wheels on will this conversions fit my car aswel or is it just designed for the rover 8.4 disc setup or is there another way of keepin the callipers with 10inch wheels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users