#31 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

They often turn up in my close asking for any scrap metal and eye balling both our mini's. If i see them i always take their reg just in case. We park both our cars hard up against the garage doors and dead lock the doors for good measure. OTT i think not.

If they have a HIAB on a truck then they will just lift your car over the others so you really need to get it under cover somewhere.

#32 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

theres not alot the police will do either to be honest, it really is a case of make yourself known and make sure they know not to mess about. luckily i went to school with half the pikeys round my area so when they came looking for mine they got a good earful!

but notify the police with a written letter and phonecall and get reg numbers, if it goes (which i hope it doesnt) you can have a moan at the police saying you warned them and nothing was done.

#33 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

theres not alot the police will do either to be honest, it really is a case of make yourself known and make sure they know not to mess about. luckily i went to school with half the pikeys round my area so when they came looking for mine they got a good earful!

but notify the police with a written letter and phonecall and get reg numbers, if it goes (which i hope it doesnt) you can have a moan at the police saying you warned them and nothing was done.

I suppose I could do that but as you said police won't do anything and they wouldn't dare go in a pikey camp. I'll just get the dog to bark at them every time I see them.

#34 markosparko1994

markosparko1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

take their reg of the truck or any other vehicles owned by the gypsys if you see them so you can track them and can tell the police, put out a video camera?

#35 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

Come on, let's not let this slip into a bit of casual racism / racial stereotyping ;)

If I were you I'd get a CCTV camera stuck up in clear sight. They're pretty cheap now and most thieves are after an easy pinch so will just move onto something they see as less risky.

#36 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Come on, let's not let this slip into a bit of casual racism / racial stereotyping ;)

Easy to say, if you have never been on the receiving end of the 'stereotypes' caught red-handed taking your property without asking....................... :angry:

#37 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

Couple of months ago I had a traveller knocking on my door asking if the 'radiator' left in my drive was scrap or not, I was a bit confused at 1st but turned out it was the engine cover for my camper van that I'd accidentally left out after changing the alternator belt. Would have been very easy for him to take it without anyone batting an eyelid, yet despite what threads like this would have you believe he didn't.

Of course there's plenty thieving scum in the traveller community, just like there is in all communities, but to say ALL gypsies are on the rob is a gross assumption and just plain *******.

#38 jbj

jbj

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Anyway, I thought everyone loved travellers now that Paddy won Celebrity Big Brother :P

#39 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

Easy to say, if you have never been on the receiving end of the 'stereotypes' caught red-handed taking your property without asking....................... :angry:

Hmmmmm a bit harsh....... We until recently lived in a village where there was a gypsy/pikey family in the area that were well known and liked.

Both have lived in and around the same area for quite a few generations collecting scrap working on the farms ect. Other pikeys would come to the area travelling through and it was our local gypsy/pikey community that would warn us to be extra vigilant.

And yes we have been on the receiving end, but sweeping statements against all arnt fair

#40 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:32 PM

Anyway, I thought everyone loved travellers now that Paddy won Celebrity Big Brother :P

:lol:

#41 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

This is exactly what I didnt want this thread to turn in to . Let's not debate about travellers / pikeys etc what ever you want to call them.

#42 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

Disguise it as a hard days work, the thieves won't go near it then!

#43 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

Disguise it as a hard days work, the thieves won't go near it then!

What do you mean ?

#44 muddd001

muddd001

TMFs Calender King

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

Couple of months ago I had a traveller knocking on my door asking if the 'radiator' left in my drive was scrap or not, I was a bit confused at 1st but turned out it was the engine cover for my camper van that I'd accidentally left out after changing the alternator belt. Would have been very easy for him to take it without anyone batting an eyelid, yet despite what threads like this would have you believe he didn't.

Of course there's plenty thieving scum in the traveller community, just like there is in all communities, but to say ALL gypsies are on the rob is a gross assumption and just plain *******.

No he wanted to know if you had a vehicle that he can nick in the future

#45 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

No matter how friendly or helpful never invite a 'scrap metal collector' onto your property or into your garage where he can see what you have (he may 'case the joint' and tell all his mates or come back when you are not around to help himself)............always take the scrap out to him in the road or tell him to call back later when you can put it out on the edge of your property.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users