#1 rhys-89

rhys-89

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: minifreekz

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi all just wondering besides the obvious name difference and badges on the car what is the difference between my 1966 Morris mini super deluxe in comparison to the early Austin mini ? As the Austin mini was out first then my Morris mini in 1966 then back to Austin again in 1967? Thanks for any answers just couriouse.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

The brands didn't replace each other sequentially, they were both BMC brands and Mini was marketed under both (and Wolseley and Riley) simultaneously while BMC were still in charge. When BMC became BMH (Holdings not Heritage) and then quickly BLMC, the Mini was given its own independant brand identity and treated simply as Mini from then on. Trim and equipment differences are really all that sets them apart, they are mechanically the same car in any given year.

#3 rhys-89

rhys-89

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: minifreekz

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the comment dan

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

In theory Austin Mini's were built at the Longbridge factory and Morris Mini's at the Cowley Oxford factory but in practice this was not always the case................

#5 shaun617

shaun617

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

In theory Austin Mini's were built at the Longbridge factory and Morris Mini's at the Cowley Oxford factory but in practice this was not always the case................

But on my log book it says "Austin Morris" so where was mine built? :errr:

#6 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

they started to build it at longbridge - then got bored so it was finished off at cowley...lol......only joking.......mines an austin morris too but i dont know why, perhaps BL werent quite sure what to call it so they called it both austin and morris to stop any arguements... :ohno:

#7 rwerry

rwerry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

As mentioned by Dan, from 1970 the Mini became a marque in its own right. However, it was, nevertheless, built by the Austin Morris Division of British Leyland - hence the entry in your log book. In 1981-82 the name of the 'parent' company changed to the Austin Rover Group, and again in 1989 to Rover Group.

As to where your car was built, production of the Mini ceased at Cowley in 1968 so your Austin Morris Mini was almost certainly built in Longbridge. Although, in the late '70, Minis were imported into the UK from the Seneffe factory in Belgium to make up the shortfall between production at Longbridge and demand. This was reported at the time as being as much as 4%. Seneffe closed in 1981.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users