5 replies to this topic

#1 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

I was thinkin about changing the cam in my mg engine,i wonder if you guys can answer my question, i bet u cam :) (bad pun)

I was thinkin about changing the cam in my mg engine, it seems to loose pull at about 4000, other than that its great, it still revs but doesnt seem to pull aswell.
Would this be the cam or some other problem.
Ive have the mixture set at an MOT station and i have set the timing with a timing light. The engine has had a new clutch 2000 miles ago and doesnt burn oil.

Can any 1 shed any light thx

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:59 PM

Cam change means engine out :)

Try advancing the timing a few degrees, or if your feeling a little well off treat yourself to a set of 1.5 roller tip rockers, they are the equivelant to a mild (266/276) cam. All the performance of a road cam without the hassle of and engine out... :)

#3 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:30 PM

I've recently fitted an mg engine to mine and it did the same. Found the problem to be a mixture of ignition timing and also a faulty vacuum advance on the dizzy. Fixed the dizzy and set the igintion timing to 12 degress with a timing light. Now it runs great, i got over a ton out of it the other day and it was still pulling past the redline. Getting it on the rollers soon with a bit of luck see what its pulling!

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:14 PM

Not sure if this has already been asked and sorry philster it doesn't answer your question, but can you fit 1.5 roller tip rockers to any engine or are they only really suitable for 1275's?

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

oops, paulbin not philster!! :nugget:

#6 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

They are for 1275 really, but can be fitted to a 998, but would probly need block mods. The 1.3 roller tips are for 998's and 1.7 for 1275 and above race engines...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users